Sponsored by:

oil drain plug gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:29 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default oil drain plug gasket

Hello every one... just changed my oil on my 2013 Cayenne GTS and the mechanic lost the drain plug gasket ...he got one from an auto parts store .....It is an 11/16", m18 made out of "copper".... it is on it right now. I was wondering what the oem gasket is made of? is it aluminum and whether the copper would have a reaction with the oil pan?

Thanks for your inputs....
Old 10-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Porsche uses aluminum. I wouldn't worry about it being copper. Just put the aluminum back on next time.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:05 PM
aljus
Advanced

Thanks for your reply texas...I was reading that the copper and aluminum will react and create corrosion.. I am wondering if it would be safe to go through a whole winter getting salt and water on them....I don't know ...
Old 10-13-2016, 10:07 PM
aljus
Advanced

I might be just better off to replace it with the aluminum just to be able to sleep better at night...
Old 10-14-2016, 02:06 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

The copper and aluminum could have some corrosion, but in this case - probably not since it's in a protected location (unless you've thrown away your belly pan), and the threads undoubtedly have oil on them. This is one I wouldn't worry a whole bunch on.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a good cause for concern however, as Bob stated, being bathed in oil will reduce the chances of any galvanic or cathodic corrosion between the two dissimilar metals within the oil pan itself. Keep in mind that the drain plug is made out of high carbon steel and the pan out of an aluminum alloy.

Had this been done in the cooling circuit, it would have been a different story.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:30 PM
aljus
Advanced

Thanks guys for your input....I like your scientific explanations as I am into science myself...deilenberger, agreed that the threads have oil on them, but the washer/gasket are not touching the threads . the gasket is touching the bottom of the oil pan where there should not be any oil present. Also the location of the plug is not 100% protected as splashing could get the water in that area. Lastly the word probably is a little scary to me.

Andy E. , same argument above plus the plug is made out of aluminum for 2013 cayenne GTS ( as I am looking at one in my hand right now , super light with an aluminum shine...)....

I think I may have to drain the oil ,hopefully catching most of it , install the plug with the Al. washer and refill...what do you guys think ?
Old 10-14-2016, 02:40 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When I did an earlier oil change, I too did not have a replacement washer for the plug and I had already used the old one twice (flipped it over and used the other side to seal). I got a set from Autozone and found one that was the proper fit, it was copper. After torqueing the drain plug to the proper torque, I noticed about a week later there was a small leak at the drain plug. I tightened it a little bit more but still had a very small / minor leak. Not enough to worry about just enough to **** me off that I had a leak! Anyway, next oil change (5000 miles on the CD) I replaced it with an OEM washer and all was fine - no more small leak. No issue with the CU / AL interaction whatsoever - perhaps because I had a leak . But upon inspection of the CU washer, I did notice it has a small ridge or seam between the inner diameter and the outer diameter. I figured that was the cause of my small leak, it just never did seal properly. I think the OEM washers I got were like $0.20 so I bought several for future oil changes.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:35 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by aljus
Thanks guys for your input....I like your scientific explanations as I am into science myself...deilenberger, agreed that the threads have oil on them, but the washer/gasket are not touching the threads . the gasket is touching the bottom of the oil pan where there should not be any oil present. Also the location of the plug is not 100% protected as splashing could get the water in that area. Lastly the word probably is a little scary to me.
Slather some silicone grease on it.. that will prevent any corrosion.

BTDT on aluminum masts with stainless steel screws on a sailboat sailed in salt water. Without the silicone grease the stainless screws would be mush in about a year. With silicone grease - they came out of the mast looking just like new 4-5 years later. Trick to preventing corrosion is keeping oxygen away, and silicone grease does that just fine, and it's long lasting.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:36 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I think I may have to drain the oil ,hopefully catching most of it , install the plug with the Al. washer and refill...what do you guys think ?
Do you have something capable of catching 2 gallons of oil? And do you think it will still be clean when you put it back in?
Old 10-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Be sure to wear long sleeves, rubber gloves, a head condom and some eye protection.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:16 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Another consideration is hardness. The aluminum crush wash is softer than the copper. So it will crush before the oil pan will. Using copper over the life of the car may have a cumulative negative impact causing deformation of the mating surface of the oil pan. And drain plug.

My drain plugs are soft metal. I've always assumed aluminum. They are definitely not carbon steel. This is on a 955.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it.

At all.

I've used the copper and aluminum crush washers interchangably for years with no noticeable issues.

Just make sure your tech torques it properly and you will be fine.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
I wouldn't worry about it.

At all.

I've used the copper and aluminum crush washers interchangably for years with no noticeable issues.

Just make sure your tech torques it properly and you will be fine.
aljus it sounds like u have already made up your mind. There have been sound replies from the good Folk's on the forum but it reminds me of when my wife sometimes asks for my advice. I give it to her and she continues to debate with me and ask my opinion! I say do whichever makes you sleep better. Good luck
Old 10-15-2016, 05:24 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

There are two all aluminum high performance engines in my garage right now which came factory with copper crush gaskets between the head and exhaust. I wouldn't worry about galvanic corrosion a single bit in this specific case. Waiting until the next oil change to swap the washer will be totally fine. Trying to drain and reuse the oil will likely cause you more problems in the long run since you are likely to introduce a small amount of contaminants - not to mention it is a waste of time and effort and going to be messy.

Last edited by nodoors; 10-16-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: oil drain plug gasket