Sponsored by:

'05 Cayenne AC Vent Water on floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:31 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default '05 Cayenne AC Vent Water on floor

I have the water on the driver, front passenger and driver side passenger problem. It was over 100 degrees in Cali today so I pulled up the carpet and let the car try to dry out. I have it up on jack stands as I pulled the fender liner off the passenger side wheel well. I was expecting a cooling amount of water to come gushing out. However none did and there was no clog. I poked around with a screw driver but no gusher. So I decided to go to the driver side of the car. Got too hot so all I was able to do was get the wheel off.

Is there somewhere else to look? There is visible water underneath the carpet everywhere. Except the rear passenger floor, dry as a bone. Is there somewhere under the hood maybe? ? Cayenne will be up on blocks for a few days until I can sort this. Pulled out the M5 for a few days. It needed to be driven anyway.

Carpet sponge was full of water

This is after removing the panel under the glove box. Guess I can change the cabin filter while I am in there.

clean as a whistle. No clogs, where is the water?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:38 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you remove drain tube to make sure it is clear? Located in your second pic. This will get clogged causing water to back up in system eventually into the floor boards.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:32 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Km1.8t
Did you remove drain tube to make sure it is clear? Located in your second pic. This will get clogged causing water to back up in system eventually into the floor boards.
You mean take the tube out of the hole? No I didn't do that. Didn't think it would come out. The second picture is under the glove box. Which one is the drain hose? I'll try that this morning. Also do I do the same thing on the other side of the car? Hoping to get this PIG buttoned back up this morning. She has a lot of errands to do. Pulling up the carpet is a pita too.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Where is picture #3 taken from? Of? If that's from inside the engine compartment facing in toward the cabin of the car - where are the hoses or plugs that belong in those two holes?

On my '06 - I had a hole like this going from the crease between the exterior firewall and the interior fender steel wheel-well to the inside of the cabin. When it rained hard - due to crap that built up in the crease - water would back up and simply pour into the hole into the cabin.

The fact that we can see part of a wiring harness in the big hole to me is a clue that we're looking into the interior.

So - where are these holes and where is whatever belongs in them?

BTW - fixed the wet floor my '06 repeatedly had by putting a plastic body plug in that hole. Then I sold it.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:11 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Picture one is inside the 05 cayenne front passenger side. I pulled up the carpet to see how wet it was and there was lots of water.

Picture two is underneath the glove box. You can see the cover for the cabin filter (which I will replace the filter while I am in there).

Picture three is the AC vent drain hole (I removed the plugs to clean them) in the wheel well after I removed the fender liner, on the passenger side of the PIG. I still haven't been able to see any water drain out but I know it's there somewhere.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

And the holes in #3 - the plugs connect to? I'm surprised there are two holes... if you look at your photo #2, you'll see on the inside there is only one pipe going through the bulkhead.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Push the hose off the back of the air box under the glove box. Push it towards the fire wall,very flexible and it will come off easily, get ready for the water to pour out. Clean out the drain with pressed air or some other item, I use some weedeater line and push it through the tube through the firewall. No drain on drivers side.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Push the hose off the back of the air box under the glove box. Push it towards the fire wall,very flexible and it will come off easily, get ready for the water to pour out. Clean out the drain with pressed air or some other item, I use some weedeater line and push it through the tube through the firewall. No drain on drivers side.
Just did this on my Q7 yesterday -- and I had to do it once earlier. The drain on the Cayenne looks exactly the same. Not difficult. However I used a gun cleaning rod with a .410 shotgun cotton swab to clear the drain, then some pipe cleaner into the reservoir to clear the gunk in there. Worked like a charm.

Here are some DIY links:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=audi+q7+ai...&t=ffsb&ia=web
Old 07-25-2016, 05:44 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Had to do this several times on my '06. I unwind a metal clothes hanger and wrap the small hook end with tape, then push it through...
Old 07-28-2016, 12:09 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So if I push the plastic piece under the glove box (picture two) then the water should come out in the firewall (and not in my passenger floor?) The pig is still on jack stands and I need to drive it on Saturday. I still don't see where the water is. Anyone know what my next steps should be??
Old 07-28-2016, 11:33 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by ocmacman
So if I push the plastic piece under the glove box (picture two) then the water should come out in the firewall (and not in my passenger floor?) The pig is still on jack stands and I need to drive it on Saturday. I still don't see where the water is. Anyone know what my next steps should be??
Ummmm...

Push the hose off the back of the air box under the glove box. Push it towards the fire wall,very flexible and it will come off easily, get ready for the water to pour out.
I don't see what part of Km1.8t's statement is unclear. When you disconnect the hose from the fitting on the bottom of the HVAC box - if there is water backed up inside - guess what? The water will try to get out through the opening you just opened up. Have a small bucket under it to catch it.

Once it drains out - use something to clear out the rubber hose going through the firewall. Then put the hose back on the fitting where you found it.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:41 AM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
No, I think he's saying that it will come out inside the passenger front floor, so be prepared with a bucket or something.

Have you pulled or cleared the body plugs under the car on the outside? There are three on each side, front, center and rear. The first time I pulled mine, I got nothing. The second time I got about a quart or a little more out of the front passenger side.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:28 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Yes, the water will come out of the drain pipe and the HVAC out into the floor inside the car. Have a bowl or cup ready to catch the water. The hose is flexible and has a large lip on it so it is easy to remove. I guess it is hard to explain but once you have done it you will see what we mean. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:33 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

ok, any pictures? Is the plastic piece under the glove box you are talking about the plastic piece that connects onto the plastic piece that covers the cabin filter? I cleared the 3 plugs under the car on each side and nothing came out. I know water is there as the floor board is wet in the front and the back. My first time working on this drain plug thing. Don't really know where everything is. Will take some more pics tonight.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:35 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

The HVAC box? I am inside the car not under the hood. Is the HVAC box under the hood? ?

Quick Reply: '05 Cayenne AC Vent Water on floor