Sponsored by:

04 Cayenne Turbo Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:19 PM
PilotFrog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 04 Cayenne Turbo Problems

I have a couple of problems I am trying to sort out.
1. The most annoying and critical is a whining fan noise. There is no noise when the car is first started. It starts as I start to accelerate and increases with speed. As the car gets faster, the fan gets faster, and the whine gets louder/higher. I took apart the glove box and the front fan. I drove around with it disconnected and I still have the noise. Are there other fans in the car and any that only spin while moving?
The rest of the problems are just a nuisance.
2. The buttons on the back of the steering wheel for the turn signals don't work.
3. The buttons to open the lift gate and the fuel door don't seem to work.
4. The parking assistance lights in front and back don't work. I push the P button on the overhead and nothing happens.
5. The garage door buttons don't seem to take a code or don't transmit. I can't tell which though all the lights blink correctly when I try to program it.
6. The middle seat belt won't extend. It seems to be friction-locked.

Thanks for reading and hope someone has some answers.. especially about the fan noise..
Old 07-06-2016, 02:54 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you just buy this car? Have you checked the battery? A low battery makes all sorts of weird electrical gremlins.

1 - there are two cooling fans that spool up and down with RPM if you have the HVAC turned on, and it's warm enough out to kick the AC compressor on. How do you know it's a fan, and not something else? Might try to put the fan in recirc so there isn't the pressure of the air on the car turning the HVAC fan.

2 - You mean the turn signal stalk? The small buttons on the back of the steering wheel are for the steering wheel lights.

3 - The buttons for the lift gate just unlock it. It doesn't release the lift gate. The button for the gas cover should release it so you can open it.

4 - You don't have any lights on the front or rear indicators at anytime? Or they come on, but are red.

5 - Would need way more information about the steps your taking, the type of door opener, etc.

6. You need to remove the lower bolt for the seat belt bolt that is under the seat. That is, if your belt is tight and you're unable to pull slack on it.

You're going to need to explain what you mean by "does not work" in some of these questions. I can't tell if you're not understanding how it's supposed to work, or if it used to work a certain way and now it doesn't work.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:03 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Did you just buy this car? Have you checked the battery? A low battery makes all sorts of weird electrical gremlins.

1 - there are two cooling fans that spool up and down with RPM if you have the HVAC turned on, and it's warm enough out to kick the AC compressor on. How do you know it's a fan, and not something else? Might try to put the fan in recirc so there isn't the pressure of the air on the car turning the HVAC fan.
I actually noted the same exact issue with mine. Doesn't happen all the time (well I've driven mine 2x) but when I first picked it up and drove, it whined in a very similar manner as is described by OP. The car had been sitting out in the sun for a while so it was warm inside. By the time I turned off and turned on, I had had the AC running so the second time around, it wasn't hot in the cabin. Not sure that helps either the OP or WP, just my initial observation.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:23 PM
PilotFrog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants

2 - You mean the turn signal stalk? The small buttons on the back of the steering wheel are for the steering wheel lights.

3 - The buttons for the lift gate just unlock it. It doesn't release the lift gate. The button for the gas cover should release it so you can open it.

4 - You don't have any lights on the front or rear indicators at anytime? Or they come on, but are red.

5 - Would need way more information about the steps your taking, the type of door opener, etc.

6. You need to remove the lower bolt for the seat belt bolt that is under the seat. That is, if your belt is tight and you're unable to pull slack on it.

You're going to need to explain what you mean by "does not work" in some of these questions. I can't tell if you're not understanding how it's supposed to work, or if it used to work a certain way and now it doesn't work.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Car is new to me but I've had it about 3 months.
1. I'm not sure it is a fan, but it sure sounds like one. I just found out there is a second fan in the rear as I have dual/quad zone so I might look at that, but to me as it spins up with the speed of the car I thought there might be another. If it isn't a fan what else could it be? I'll try the recirc fan.

2. I had no idea those buttons on the back of the steering wheel were for the lights inside, I thought they were for the turn signals (kinda thought that would be cool).

3. The buttons/switch in the driver's side door for the liftgate and the fuel door do nothing. I hear no click, nothing is unlocked, nothing happens.

4. The lights never come on. I'm not sure if there is a beeping sound that is also supposed to happen, but I get nothing. No lights, no sound.

5. Thanks, I'll keep trying, I saw something about learn on the garage door so I might be missing a step there.

6. Sounds easy enough thanks.

Thanks again for the quick replies.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:48 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. If it speeds up with the speed (and has nothing to do with engine RPM), then my guess is driveline or wind. Wind induced noises will shift in pitch and volume going around big trucks, or with a heavy cross wind. If it's purely speed dependent, my guess is a failing driveline component, wheel bearing, or bad tires. Tires and bearings will be more of a deeper drone. A diff or trans going bad will be closer to a whine.

2 - just the lights on the steering wheel. You need to get an owners manual, my friend

3 - The hatch button won't do anything if the hatch is unlocked. It's a dumb button, to be honest. The gas cap should release the gas cover. If it's not working, you won't be able to open to get to the gas cap. The spring pop mechanism may need adjusting, but mine only pops out enough for me to grab the edge, or I push on the back side. It's not going to completely open on you.

4 - A fuse, module failed, or it's unplugged. If you just have a bad sensor, the lights will stay red to indicate a fault.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:35 PM
PilotFrog
Intermediate

Got the garage door opener. Thanks for reminding me about other buttons.
Investigated fuel cap more and it's totally missing the release/catch on the inside of the housing so more involved than just the button. Oh well.
I have an owner's manual :P I just didn't read it correctly.
Too much work to get to the Parking Assist module today so I'll look another time.
The whine still has me mystified so I'll take it to the mechanic and drive him around in it. Thanks for helping me out though.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:16 PM
dhc905
Banned

^^ Does it always whine? I got the whining but it stopped after I restarted the car.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:36 PM
PilotFrog
Intermediate

Always whines.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:41 PM
dhc905
Banned

Yeah that would be annoying. I felt like mine was eminating from the front passenger area dash. Almost like there was whistle there and as I accelerated it blew more air through. And then it stopped...

Quick Reply: 04 Cayenne Turbo Problems