Sponsored by:

Cayenne V8 GTS vs Panamera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 06:31 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Cayenne V8 GTS vs Panamera GTS

I posted this in the Panamera section, but it seems like there is more activity in the Cayenne forum. So i am looking for a 4 dr car/suv to haul the kids and I narrowed it down to the V8 GTS models. Havent driven these yet but from I have seen the V8 GTS are driver cars. Has anyone shopped these versions when looking for a sporty 4dr porsche?
Old 06-12-2016, 11:11 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You are a couple of years too late for the Cayenne. It is interesting that you can still get the big 8 in a Panamera GTS, it seems, but no longer in a Cayenne S or GTS.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:09 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sclemmons
You are a couple of years too late for the Cayenne. It is interesting that you can still get the big 8 in a Panamera GTS, it seems, but no longer in a Cayenne S or GTS.
yes, I am looking at a used 2013-2014 Cayenne GTS
Old 06-13-2016, 12:37 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

I now own a 2012 CTT (1.5 yrs now), and test drove only the Panamera S. I never got a chance to find or test drive a PGTS to compare. But here is how I ended up....

At first, I was interested in the Pana, and that's what I went after & test drove first. I thought, because it was lower to the ground that I would enjoy it more as a driver. I did not feel that way when driving it. It is so big inside & long outside, that I actually "felt" like I should actually be higher off the ground. I did not get the low sports car feel that I thought I would.

I definitely wanted & needed all the space of a large DD vehicle. So from that perspective I liked the Panamera. With the rear seats folded down I could easily get all my hockey gear & sticks in there. The rear inside length was also big enough for all my kiteboarding gear including 6' surfboards. So all that made sense to me. But then again so did a Cayenne,... so I test drove a few of them next.

Then once I drove the Cayenne, it all fell into clarity. I first found & test drove a '11 CTT that had PDCC & instantly knew it was the right proportioned vehicle for me. The quality of everything felt right.

I also drove the Macan Turbo & Macan S. But again after driving a CTT with PDCC it became a easy choice what I was going to look for.

So when I found a 2012 CTT that had PDCC/PTV as well as the CGTS aero package, it not only "looked" even lower & sportier from the outside, it drove the way a sports car should.

But again, much of this is personal choice. Not knowing what YOUR priorities are, it would be tough for any of us to TELL you what to buy. All we can do is tell you what our journey looked like.

What else is important to you?
=Steve
The following users liked this post:
poolie (03-18-2021)
Old 06-13-2016, 05:13 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,993 Likes on 1,775 Posts

Easy choice. They are changing the shape of the pano so unless yours is gonna to be the new one, I'd skip.

Also, the cayenne is the best all around car/ ute you can get
Old 06-13-2016, 05:44 PM
Dokebi1221
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't have a SUV, why not get one? Safer for the family.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:18 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dokebi1221
If you don't have a SUV, why not get one? Safer for the family.
wifes got the Escalade, I have a Wrangler 4dr as a daily. I want something more refined and sporty as a daily so I am leaning toward Cayenne.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:11 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

You currently have 14 cars? lol that's insane
Old 06-14-2016, 12:16 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Holy Crap. I never even noticed that it said "current stable". I just glanced over it & thought a bunch of them were prior owns.

Uh yea, you don't need our opinions. With that stable, just buy both a Pana & a Cayenne!!

I maintain all my cars,... so that list would be a full time job! (& I have, in addition to P cars, '68 & '69 Camaro's which are always needing something)
Old 06-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Dokebi1221
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to trade in your Wrangler, I would suggest get the Cayenne for sure.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:50 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

now I'm wondering how one stores 14 cars indoor. You must have an underground garage, I've seen one in person in my life or a storage facility.
poolie (03-18-2021)
Old 06-14-2016, 04:08 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

I moved into a 6,000 sq warehouse earlier this year for my business and have dedicated climate controlled space for my car collection. Before this I had cars in 4 different locations
Old 06-14-2016, 05:51 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The Cayenne GTS is a lot more comfortable for daily driving duties. My head is into the headliner in the pano, but I have plenty of room in the Cayenne. Not sure how old your kids are, but it is much easier placing offspring in cars seats in the Cayenne too.

The difference in performance on the street (should) never come into play, especially considering the plethora of talent in your warehouse.

Even if you do not offroad, the Cayenne's "ease of use" will come into play (snow, ingress/egress, towing) etc.

No wrong choice, either.
poolie (03-18-2021)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:07 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dokebi1221
If you are going to trade in your Wrangler, I would suggest get the Cayenne for sure.
I'm thinking with the Cayenne, I will have no need for the Wrangler
Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
I'm thinking with the Cayenne, I will have no need for the Wrangler
Definitely not true if you do any offroading more than a tough dirt road. The Cayennes are good off road, but they won't replace a Wrangler. And if you want a nice summertime dirt road romp, with no top and no doors... well, nothing in your listed garage offers that much fun, either.

As for the Panorama vs Cayenne, I'd go the Cayenne. Didn't think I'd say that until a couple of months ago. I got to drive a Panamera at a World Roadshow (a '13 GTS, I think) and fell in love with the car. We got a CD to carry stuff and dogs, and my wife thought the Panamera was too big. A couple of months ago, her CD was in for service and they gave me a Panamera for a loaner (P4, I believe) and after driving it in the "real world" for 2 days, I still love it... but don't think I'd get one for daily driving, unless I was daily driving on the highway for hours at a pop. And even then, the Cayenne will be just as comfortable. So, unless I had a need for an executive car for some reason, we'll stick with the Cayenne. If not that, we'd go for the Macan.

Oh, and once Jeep finally puts that diesel Wrangler out, I'll get another Wrangler!

Last edited by skiahh; 06-19-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Cayenne V8 GTS vs Panamera GTS