Sponsored by:

Bike rack alternative for Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:50 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstCayenne
I tested the structure multiple times at 55 mph on my own Cayenne as well. The video will be available on my site.
You're probably going to want to test a little faster than that for this audience

I just modified my hitch-mount basket with some u-channel to hold a 110cc pit bike. Tested it at 95, works great.

Clever idea, best of luck with it.

cheers,
c
Old 12-15-2017, 01:30 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Send me a test rack and I will review them with full video and photos!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:08 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I applaud the creative thinking. Some comments:
The stress you need to be concerned with is a stress from beam bending at the M18 bolt going into the tow hook threads. Lug nuts and tow hooks generally will not have a bending load applied, so M18 is plenty strong for those applications. I'm not familiar with the exact geometry of the tow hook receivers, but anything you can do to add support away from the centerline will greatly increase the strength.

Whatever you stick into those holes, you'll need to assume one day someone will stand on the end of it, and it should hold when that happens. You also need to assume that if it bends, people will bend it back straight (repeatedly) and drive with it off road at excessive speed. Really. That's why Yakima racks last forever - the cost of failure on the road is so high that they are incredibly over-designed.

I have an old (discontinued :-( ) Yakima HitchFork that is kind of similar to what you're going for, but does actually use the 2" hitch receiver. I got it because it uses standard Yakima round bars, to which my friends and I can attach any of our favorite Yakima attachments. And I can move my attachments to my friends' Yakima racks when it is their turn to drive. So that thinking might help - compared to what your (initial 2016) rack design was, with custom Aluminum bars and mounts, how about just making something so you could screw a standard Yakima 1" round bar into the tow hook receiver? You'd just be making the adapter from the Yakima round bar to the tow hook receivers. Seems to be a lot simpler, and perhaps more versatile for customers.

Here's a photo I found online of someone else's HitchFork. Great solution for me, but I'm guessing they discontinued it because people needed to have it swing out of the way. Those are standard Yakima bars so you can attach anything on there. 2 bikes is an easy standard fit, maybe even spaced far enough back to allow the hatch to lift. I've run with 4 bikes on it, with a little creativity, plus 3 more up top (different car).
Old 04-01-2018, 06:00 PM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to Youtube videos:

Old 04-13-2018, 09:34 PM
nrddct
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone custom build bike rack that fits in the cargo area? trying to get some ideas on this
Old 04-14-2018, 01:33 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Can you loan me a rack to test? I know 4,000 potential Cayenne owners who may want this. PM me...
Old 05-02-2018, 04:12 PM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

Two bikes on the rack.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:18 PM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

One more

Old 06-09-2020, 10:08 AM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Most stable bike roof rack utilizing the handle bars and seats for main support. It adapts to all Porsche and aftermarket OEM racks and really cheap too.

Quick Reply: Bike rack alternative for Cayenne