Sponsored by:

Bike rack alternative for Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 03:25 PM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bike rack alternative for Cayenne

I am trying to research if there is a market for bike racks mounted to tow hook holes in the rear bumper. It is a great alternative to those who do not have tow hitches installed.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:40 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

I got the tow hitch specifically for a bike rack, so I can't offer much help.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:15 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstCayenne
I am trying to research if there is a market for bike racks mounted to tow hook holes in the rear bumper. It is a great alternative to those who do not have tow hitches installed.

I have a towing package but I would buy your rack for my bike if I didn't. You would have to prove and really sell me that it is safe for my Cayenne, bike, and other motorists.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:01 AM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by CTTS520
I have a towing package but I would buy your rack for my bike if I didn't. You would have to prove and really sell me that it is safe for my Cayenne, bike, and other motorists.
Absolutely, the rod stress was calculated for deflection and it is able to withstand the dynamic weight of > 100 lbs without plastic deformation. In addition the extrusion rail increases the rigidity few times more. All parts will be warranted for 1 year. I tested the structure multiple times at 55 mph on my own Cayenne as well. The video will be available on my site.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 AM
jabba1900
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the design. Sleek and solid looking. How many bikes can it fit? I need room for 4!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:47 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you open the hatch with a bike on it?
Old 06-15-2016, 03:20 PM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
How do you open the hatch with a bike on it?
Good point.
With bikes off the rack you can easily open the hatch).
With only one bike on, there is possibly enough clearance to open the door.(will test that though)
Also you can tilt the bike depending on the construction of the bike holder itself. I am using bmw bike holder on which while the wheels are strapped you can disconnect the guard and tilt the bike.
It is cumbersome and I am pondering a new design of the rack that will give an easier access anyway, but how many times you really need to access the hatch while going biking?

Originally Posted by jabba1900
I like the design. Sleek and solid looking. How many bikes can it fit? I need room for 4!
the length of the rail is about 2 feet, I can fit 2 bikes but 4 probably will be too tight although worth a try. this gives me an urge to make a longer rack!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:50 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ride 3 days a week. Our rack goes on in March and doesn't come off until the snow flies. Flip a lever and bike tilts away to get access to hatch. If my wife is taking a lady's trip, or something, the rack comes off in 5 seconds.

I've seen maybe 1 or 2 people over the years who desired something like your setup because their car didn't come with a hitch, and they didn't want to cut into the bumper to install one. But, the bulk of people end up installing the hitch for the ease of install and removal of said bike rack. I know there was a guy that did a setup exactly like this on the old 911's, but they were flimsy at best, and few people bought them. Not saying yours is flimsy, but if you're feeling out the market for a potential business, I'm not sure you'll get much demand. The burliest racks I've seen (kuat and 1-up) are all heavy and beefy. Even the new Yakima's that just came out don't hold the bike in position as solidly as the Kuat or 1-up.

And, I don't have any engineering evidence to back up this feeling, but knowing the size of the rescue bolts, there is now way I would trust 2 bikes on that thing at interstate speeds given the forces during big bumps. Most of the guys I ride with have bars that are 760 - 800mm in length. It would have to be fairly long to fit those kinds of bikes, and not have a bar punch through the back hatch.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:16 PM
jabba1900
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem for me is the S E-Hybrid which doesn't allow a hitch to be installed. This solution could work for us. However, I agree, I think a hitch mounted rack would be sturdier and more practical.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:31 PM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by jabba1900
The problem for me is the S E-Hybrid which doesn't allow a hitch to be installed. This solution could work for us. However, I agree, I think a hitch mounted rack would be sturdier and more practical.
My rack is sturdy and not flimsy, it is attached with M18 bolts to the bumper frame. Bolts are similar in size to the ones that hold wheels on hubs, so 2 bolts vs 5 (or 6) that hold quarter of the car, just a comparison.

Now the bolts that attach bike holder to the rack is a different story. They were designed to be mounted on the roof. While it may seem that forces are different on the back, the stress that is applied to the bolts is the same. So it doesnt matter whether the rack is on the roof or in the back.

Regarding practicality I agree, the rack is not designed to compete against hitch one but is an alternative. And I think it is a very good alternative to a roof rack. People who ride few times a week should definitely purchase/install tow hitch option. People who ride few times a month may be interested in this.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:00 PM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

More pictures of the rack base:

Old 06-27-2016, 02:58 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Who makes the cross bar that holds the bike? Thule or Yakimi?
Old 06-27-2016, 04:35 PM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by dasams
Who makes the cross bar that holds the bike? Thule or Yakimi?
Neither, I designed them myself and a shop manufactured them, if you mean the rods that screw in the bumper. If you mean the bike holders themselves - you can fit any on the base rail. I personally use bmw made (or branded) bike holders.

Last edited by FirstCayenne; 06-27-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:48 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

*Subscribed
Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 PM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

This is a tow hook mounted hitch receiver. receiver size is 2" It possible can tow Class I load and definitely mount any kind of bike rack. Let me know what do you think guys?

Quick Reply: Bike rack alternative for Cayenne