Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0431 Fault Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016 | 10:15 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

Question P0431 Fault Code

I have a 2008 Cayenne Turbo with 44,000 miles on it. Yesterday it threw a P0431 CEL code. It's due for service @ 45,000 miles. Can I wait for a week
or two to get it in the shop or do I risk some considerable damage driving until then? What's the likely cost?

Your thoughts and advice will be welcomed.
Old 04-28-2016 | 10:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

A quick google turns up: http://www.autocodes.com/p0431.html

And that explains this code means:

The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the switching frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 (front O2 sensor) and heated oxygen sensors 2 (rear O2 sensor).

A three way catalyst converter (Manifold) with high oxygen storage capacity will indicate a low switching frequency of heated oxygen sensor 2. As oxygen storage capacity decreases, the heated oxygen sensor 2 switching frequency will increase.

When the frequency ratio of heated oxygen sensors 1 and 2 approaches a specified limit value, the three way catalyst malfunction is diagnosed.
That's the generic for the code. Here is some Cayenne specific info:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...and-p0421.html
One factor comes to mind here. IF you're in the USA (and that's a good reason to add that info to your personal information) - there is an 8 year/80,000 mile federally mandated emissions warranty.

That means if your P!G was first put on the road (aka "in-service date") less then 8 years ago, Porsche has gotta fix this for you.

It would behoove you to check the in-service date, and if it was first driven less then 8 years ago, hike on down ASAP to the friendly local Porsche dealership and tell them "fix this.."
If you're not in the USA - chances are it's an oxygen-sensor (not TOO expensive) gone south, or a catalytic converter that's malfunctioning (EXPENSIVE.. but people DO take these off all the time thinking they get more performance that way, so there is a good chance of picking up a perfectly good one used for small money.) A diagnostics session with a good OBD-II or better yet - Porsche specific tool - should help determine which of these it is. A plot of all the O2 sensors would be illuminating.

Good luck, and a few suggestions:

(ON )

1. Go to "User CP", thence to "Edit Signature" and add in info like who you are, where you're from and the year/model of your P!G. Having that info handy helps people make more educated answers to questions asked.

2. When you get the issue resolved - don't be "that guy.." who never tells the rest of the world what fixed his problem. That's a drop and run guy. Once he gets an answer we never hear from him again until he has another problem. Tell the world what fixed the problem so when other people go searching for the same problem they see what fixed yours. That's when forums like this become valuable - as a repository of knowledge. While you might answer someone if they asked the same question - there is no guarantee that you'll be on that day - and if the person asking was smart enough to do a search - your answer might just save their day.

(OFF: )

Good luck with it - and hope to hear what solves it..
Old 04-28-2016 | 11:48 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your help. About the converter, what's your definition of expensive?

I'll spruce up my profile.....
Old 04-29-2016 | 01:51 AM
deilenberger
Banned

On line Porsche dealers selling parts show them at $1250/each. For me - that's expensive - for some people mebbe not so much.

Quick Reply: P0431 Fault Code