Sponsored by:

check engine light '08 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 PM
rpsutherland2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question check engine light '08 turbo

I'm about 1600 miles short of a 45,000 mile service and my check engine light came on today. It's not flashing but I don't want to screw something up. It'll take a week or so before I can get it scheduled in the shop. How long can I safely drive it without taking a chance on damage? Input appreciated.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

It isn't on because you're due for a service - it's on because something is wrong. Without knowing what is wrong, no one can intelligently answer your question. That's why it's very handy to own a Durametric or ICarScan - they can tell you what the car thinks is wrong. Then you tell us - and we'll be able to answer your question based on data, not guesswork.

If you're in the USA - you might try stopping at an Autozone or similar big-box car parts store. They will usually read the stored OBD-II codes for you. These will give a basic idea of what is triggering the CEL, but a vehicle specific code reader can dig deeper into the computers on the car and help narrow it down.

It could be as simple as a loose gas cap, or as complex as a holed piston. The light is binary - it's either on or off - and the message is simple "Check Engine Now.."

Quick Reply: check engine light '08 turbo