Sponsored by:

HHR Resonated Cat Bypass Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:12 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

^^^Agree^^^
My GTS exhaust is always in sport mode, while the suspension is in normal mode. I would like to hear a cabin sound comparison in both sport and normal modes.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:32 PM
1BadAction
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
^^^Agree^^^
My GTS exhaust is always in sport mode, while the suspension is in normal mode. I would like to hear a cabin sound comparison in both sport and normal modes.
We just got an answer on the fabspeed version...
Originally Posted by meaker
"How does it sound in the interior while in non-sport mode now? Is it louder than stock in sport mode or about the same?"

I would say non sport mode is louder but not as loud as stock pipes and sport. That's what I like about it to. You have option of a little rumble with non sport or a lot with sport. Before it was way to quite. Only thing that you may dislike is pretty loud cold crank up.
I'm assuming the resonated pipes will be a hair quieter or more mellow than what the non-resonated pipes are.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:57 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
We just got an answer on the fabspeed version...

I'm assuming the resonated pipes will be a hair quieter or more mellow than what the non-resonated pipes are.
Thanks!
There are several drive by sound clips of a GTS with the with the Fabspeed system. It sounds way loud for my liking. Hard to believe its anything near stock sounding in the cabin with the sport on or off.

This is a mod that would be difficult to reverse.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Those look nice.

I just installed the Fabspeed Secondary Cat Bypass pipes on my '09 TTS this past weekend and can attest to the fact that the top bolt on the passenger side is an SOB - worked on it for probably 60-90 minutes with every wrench, ratchet, U-joint, extension, etc I have in my arsenal. I was finally able to get it free with a GearWrench angled ratchet wrench that has the swiveling ratchet end. You could get it around the nut well, but the angle it had to be on made for virtually no leverage. I finally pulled down on he braided section of the pipe a bit and put the wrench on from the opposite side of what seemed logical and correct and found just enough leverage to break it loose.

During reassembly I used stainless deep M8 socket cap bolts with Marine grade anti-seize on them and that one bolt I put through from the top side with the nut on the bottom. I was able to get a metric allen wrench into the top of the bolt cap and hold it with a vice-grip while I tightened the nut with the GearWrench.

Glad I like the sound as I don't want to put the original cats back any time soon.
Can you explain why you needed an angled ratcheting wrench with flex head, as opposed to a standard ratcheting wrench with flex head? I'm gearing up for this project and want to make sure I have the right tools!
It sounds as though the critical piece here was the ratcheting wrench with flex head as opposed to the fact that it was an angle wrench.

Thx,
JD
Old 01-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Jd_gts
Can you explain why you needed an angled ratcheting wrench with flex head, as opposed to a standard ratcheting wrench with flex head? I'm gearing up for this project and want to make sure I have the right tools!
It sounds as though the critical piece here was the ratcheting wrench with flex head as opposed to the fact that it was an angle wrench.

Thx,
JD
Maybe my description was redundant. What I needed was the wrench on the right in this photo where the ratcheting end of the wrench can angle or pivot.

These work so great, I used some Christmas money to purchase the stubby versions of them from amazon

GearWrench 9550 10 Piece Metric Stubby Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBAI40/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Wx5nCbYQNKGPC

though they aren't the twisted or X-beam version like my full length set. The X-beams are awesome because you get a nice flat area to lush against instead of the skinny edge of the wrench.

Gearwrench is great on warranty service too. They replaced a tap I broke from my tap and die set and two wrenches from my wrench set over the years.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Maybe my description was redundant. What I needed was the wrench on the right in this photo where the ratcheting end of the wrench can angle or pivot.

These work so great, I used some Christmas money to purchase the stubby versions of them from amazon

GearWrench 9550 10 Piece Metric Stubby Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HBAI40/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Wx5nCbYQNKGPC

though they aren't the twisted or X-beam version like my full length set. The X-beams are awesome because you get a nice flat area to lush against instead of the skinny edge of the wrench.

Gearwrench is great on warranty service too. They replaced a tap I broke from my tap and die set and two wrenches from my wrench set over the years.

Good luck.
You rock! Thanks!

I always love excuses to purchase new tools! I'm getting closer to feeling like I have more of a complete tool set. There are just so many variations of the same thing... Wrenches, ratcheting wrenches, flex head wrenches, ratcheting flex head wrenches X stubby/X long .. and on and on for everything. I could spend all my money on tools!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:21 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Great info. Thanks

can not wait for mine to arrive , Hank kindly send these to me before shipping them .

did get OEM gaskets and copper self locking nuts from the dealer as well .

Old 05-20-2019, 10:06 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 183 Posts

Mine went in today...finally. Honestly, not much of a volume boost, normal or sport, maybe 10-15% increase. Just a quick drive home from the shop, will hammer it a little tomorrow. Actually seemed a little more quiet at highway speeds.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:37 PM
Chensley
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I need this upgrade even though I promised the wife no mods.

Quick Reply: HHR Resonated Cat Bypass Installed!