Can't get over the startup screen looking like the wrap of a KitKat
Old 04-28-2016, 01:45 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Torre
Can't get over the startup screen looking like the wrap of a KitKat
I understand it can be changed to the Porsche crest.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:23 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, the kitkat logo is NOT the boot up screen....it is the Porsche crest. To get to the android logo is a easteregg under the settings /about / version menus.

The bootup and background images can be what ever you like including the live wallpapers.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Bose system on my 2008 so it appears that it should be pretty much plug and play as you experienced other than the FM audio portion. Do you have any leads as to what you recommend I purchase to hook the diversity setup up?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2016, 09:30 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

One of these:
Amazon.com: Universal Fakra Car Aerial Antenna Adapter Female Fakra to DIN: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Universal Fakra Car Aerial Antenna Adapter Female Fakra to DIN: Car Electronics

and one of these:
Amazon.com: HitCar TWIN FAKRA Two Way TO SINGLE DIN CAR DVD Head Unit RADIO AERIAL Antenna ADAPTOR Cable for AUDI VW SKODA BMW: Automotive Amazon.com: HitCar TWIN FAKRA Two Way TO SINGLE DIN CAR DVD Head Unit RADIO AERIAL Antenna ADAPTOR Cable for AUDI VW SKODA BMW: Automotive
Old 04-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, thanks for the update morris!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:31 PM
PilotFrog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you need to have an Android phone to work with this system, or will it work with an iPhone a well?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:15 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

No Android phone needed. It is an android tablet, with FM tuner and a bluetooth host. Any bluetooth phone (Iphone, windows phone, blackberries) would all be able to connect and stream music and phone calls to it.

Being an android tablet, you can also install all your fav music apps and map/nav apps that also exist in the android play store ecosystem and use the same login info to setup on this stereo. Having it connected to cellular data makes it really come alive with capabilities, but it works without too. I had it download google maps data offline though my wifi in the garage and it works fine.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:35 PM
PilotFrog
Intermediate

Good to know thanks. Can you update the tablet software? I see it is running KitKat. Any chance of Lollipop or Marshmallow?
Old 05-07-2016, 04:07 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

It's definitely a custom ROM and any off the shelf updates would break the FM tuner, backup camera, and Bluetooth host capabilities. I'm not expecting an update from the manufacturer or the hacker community, but i would be very happy if one ever showed up.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:08 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting. I'm an XM listener, my ears are too shot to hear differences anymore, but I do love my music! So as an alternative, I could stream Pandora or the like, correct? What about long trips across country? We drive from Missouri through Mississippi and Alabama to the beach several times a year and sometimes cellular coverage is absent or weak, so no music during those times?
Old 05-11-2016, 12:19 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This looks really cool! I am looking forward to trying it!
I do have a few questions I am hoping you could answer.

1. Does it match the car? It looks like it is black glossy, where the cayenne is flat black.

2. is the Most adapter just stereo, or can you independently adjust levels for the front and rear speakers and sub.

3. How is the microphone? Can you use google now or voice commands in Waze?

Thanks for your help?
Old 05-11-2016, 01:56 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

@Tommy - I use slacker radio app and subscribe to $4/month for unlimited skipping, commercial free, and offline storage capabilities. Slacker downloads about 9 hours of each "station", genre, or custom playlist (up to 20) you select for offline and can automatically refresh the content nightly when wifi exists. I imagine XM, Pandora, Spotify, and others have similar capabilities and subscriptions. if you have amazon prime, they include a very good music service.

@Hgupta - I think it matches 9/10. No one would suspect that it is aftermarket. In fact most dont believe me when I say that it is. It does have 4 way fader/balance. It also have independent EQ for front/rear but the Bose pre-processor seems to do funny things to the base. I have not tried googlenow, but wife says the call audio quality is "much better" than my land rover OEM bluetooth. I didnt know waze had voice commands - will have to try that out. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 05:02 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisdl
@Tommy - I use slacker radio app and subscribe to $4/month for unlimited skipping, commercial free, and offline storage capabilities. Slacker downloads about 9 hours of each "station", genre, or custom playlist (up to 20) you select for offline and can automatically refresh the content nightly when wifi exists. I imagine XM, Pandora, Spotify, and others have similar capabilities and subscriptions. if you have amazon prime, they include a very good music service.
It took me reading this a couple times to get it. So you can save music and then tap into that when your reception is limited. Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 AM
drift1492
Intermediate

Are you using the built in microphone for bluetooth or the external mounted somewhere else?

Also, where did you mount the GPS antenna?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review