Sponsored by:

Changing Cayenne Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:19 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Changing Cayenne Wheels

I currently have 22" aftermarket wheels on an 09 GTS, which I purchased with these wheels. While I'm getting more used to the large diameter, I think it is less functional - more rotational weight, more noise transmitted into cabin especially over bumps. Frankly, I don't think there's enough tire sidewall strength on the current tires for a vehicle this heavy.

Anyway, I'm looking at changing the wheels. Stock was 21", but may be willing to go to 20" (assuming GTS brakes fit) such as the OEM RS Spyder wheels if I can gain less rotational weight. I'd be mounting Conti DWS 06 all seasons.

Any wheel suggestions?
Old 03-22-2016, 11:25 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

I would go with a set of OEM Sport Techno 20". I think they look about as good as you can get. Usually a few sets for sale on ebay etc.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:50 AM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio
Anyway, I'm looking at changing the wheels. Stock was 21", but may be willing to go to 20" (assuming GTS brakes fit) such as the OEM RS Spyder wheels if I can gain less rotational weight. I'd be mounting Conti DWS 06 all seasons.
Any wheel suggestions?
The brakes will fit even in 18" wheels . The GTS uses brakes from the S model, only the Turbo has bigger. Sport Technos can be had for a reasonable price, the RS Spyder wheeels are gonna cost $$.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:34 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Good to know about fitment due to brakes.

Does anybody know which is lighter - Sport Techno or RS Spyder wheels? Any other suggestions especially lighter wheels?

Also, sharing firsthand driving experiences with running 20" or 21" versus 22" on the same Cayenne would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 AM
alpesh26
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running 20" SportDesign wheels on my 957 with steel springs and the ride is fairly decent. It takes bumps really well. The ride got better when I changed my tyres (275/40/20) because my old ones had gone hard so they were a little harsh when going over bumps. I guess going to 20" wheels from 22" would give you a good weight saving

I can't compare the ride with 22" wheels though, sorry.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:29 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alpesh26
I'm running 20" SportDesign wheels on my 957 with steel springs and the ride is fairly decent. It takes bumps really well. The ride got better when I changed my tyres (275/40/20) because my old ones had gone hard so they were a little harsh when going over bumps. I guess going to 20" wheels from 22" would give you a good weight saving

I can't compare the ride with 22" wheels though, sorry.
Yes, the same tire model at different diameter (22" to 20") is apparently a 4 lb reduction. The wheel is a 6-10 lb reduction; my 22" is about 40 lbs and 20" wheels seem to range from 30-34 lbs.

I'm still trying to find out the weights of the OEM GTS 21" wheel and other potential 20" wheel like the RS. If there's an OEM-style set of forged wheels, this would be interesting as well.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:55 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by alpesh26
... I guess going to 20" wheels from 22" would give you a good weight saving. ...
Are you sure you get a unsprung weight savings by reducing the rim size? I would think the opposite. The difference between rim size weight is nominal, but the extra rubber weighs quite a bit more.
... Not that it makes much difference in making choices in this case though. The ride quality is most important (& your taste in looks of course).
Hmmmm, when I switch back from my 19" winter setup, to my 21" summer setup, I'll weigh the difference between the two (won't be for another month tho).

For this winter (since Jan), I've been running my 19" winter rims w/ new rubber, and there is quite a bit of difference in handling performance. And not in a good way for me. After running my 21" with summer rubber for 9 months, and autocrossing through the summer, the 19's feels soft & roll quite a bit in the turns, which I do not care for. I also have PDCC so I feel every little difference.

But I also have A/S (air susp), so for me, when I'm running my 21's and just tooling around town, or just not "getting on it", I can easily run the suspension in "Comfort" mode, and it makes a considerable difference in not feeling the little road bumps & such.

So in the end 2 things: 1) if I did not feel like I wanted the safety of winter rubber for snow & ice,... I would prefer to run 21's all year (but safety first). and 2) if I did not take my 958 CTT out on the sandy beaches of Hatteras Outer Banks, NC on my Kiteboarding trip in April every year, I would probably already be back on my 21's.
.... incidentally 19" is the smallest I can use to clear my calipers. I would have gone to 18" if I could,... since letting a lot of air out for the sand is critical, and the more sidewall the better.

If you're only going to run one set,... then 20's are a great choice. You get just enough rubber to suck up road nuances, and yet they look very sporty on the Cayenne.

let us know what you decide!!
=Steve
Old 03-23-2016, 03:51 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Are you sure you get a unsprung weight savings by reducing the rim size? I would think the opposite. The difference between rim size weight is nominal, but the extra rubber weighs quite a bit more.
... Not that it makes much difference in making choices in this case though. The ride quality is most important (& your taste in looks of course).
Hmmmm, when I switch back from my 19" winter setup, to my 21" summer setup, I'll weigh the difference between the two (won't be for another month tho).

For this winter (since Jan), I've been running my 19" winter rims w/ new rubber, and there is quite a bit of difference in handling performance. And not in a good way for me. After running my 21" with summer rubber for 9 months, and autocrossing through the summer, the 19's feels soft & roll quite a bit in the turns, which I do not care for. I also have PDCC so I feel every little difference.

But I also have A/S (air susp), so for me, when I'm running my 21's and just tooling around town, or just not "getting on it", I can easily run the suspension in "Comfort" mode, and it makes a considerable difference in not feeling the little road bumps & such.

So in the end 2 things: 1) if I did not feel like I wanted the safety of winter rubber for snow & ice,... I would prefer to run 21's all year (but safety first). and 2) if I did not take my 958 CTT out on the sandy beaches of Hatteras Outer Banks, NC on my Kiteboarding trip in April every year, I would probably already be back on my 21's.
.... incidentally 19" is the smallest I can use to clear my calipers. I would have gone to 18" if I could,... since letting a lot of air out for the sand is critical, and the more sidewall the better.

If you're only going to run one set,... then 20's are a great choice. You get just enough rubber to suck up road nuances, and yet they look very sporty on the Cayenne.

let us know what you decide!!
=Steve
Thanks for sharing. I think your approach is good for multiple wheel set. You're correct in that one set for my usage seems more appropriate for now.

In terms of weight reduction, I'm finding that the wheel diameters have more significant variances compared to the tires (at least for the sizes I'm considering).
Old 03-23-2016, 04:41 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

mclaudio,

Are you Ok with running all-seasons in Seattle? I don't profess to know your winters.

And I concur,... that in my case, since I REALLY want soft summer rubber for autocrossing / etc,.. that I am best to run a separate winter setup. I have peace of mind during the winter that my compound will save me in those sporadic winter storms & sometimes icy road scenarios we have here.

Sounds like all-seasons will work for you. In which case again, 20's would be a good choice.

I kinda like the Sport Techno look a tad better than the RS Spyder,.. but that's cuz I like more open space in my rims. Easier to clean the inside,.. and shows the calipers better when rolling down the road. But that is all a matter of taste.

Enjoy!
=Steve
Old 03-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Torre
Racer

Does anyone have a picture of a 957 on RS Spyder wheels btw? I got a bit interested myself on how it would look like.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:11 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

mclaudio,

Are you Ok with running all-seasons in Seattle? I don't profess to know your winters.

And I concur,... that in my case, since I REALLY want soft summer rubber for autocrossing / etc,.. that I am best to run a separate winter setup. I have peace of mind during the winter that my compound will save me in those sporadic winter storms & sometimes icy road scenarios we have here.

Sounds like all-seasons will work for you. In which case again, 20's would be a good choice.

I kinda like the Sport Techno look a tad better than the RS Spyder,.. but that's cuz I like more open space in my rims. Easier to clean the inside,.. and shows the calipers better when rolling down the road. But that is all a matter of taste.

Enjoy!
=Steve
I used to have multiple sets (winter, summer) for my street cars especially when I used go to the mountains in the winter. I haven't gone and I haven't seen snow in Seattle in a few years. I also think that all-seasons have been improving for winter weather. In the summer, I don't need max traction; in fact, I like a little looseness to have more fun at lower limits.

Just an aside, for my race cars, I do have three sets - dry, inters, wet. :-)
Old 03-23-2016, 06:29 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Metal weighs more than rubber and air. Going down rim sizes will almost always netout lighter. Not to mention the heavier part (the wheel made of metal) is closer to the center of the rotating mass.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:26 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

I pulled the trigger on the 20" RS Spyder wheels with Conti DWS. Installation is next week while I'm out of town. I'll update you when I get a chance to drive after I get back.

On weight alone, the difference is a reduction of about 15 lbs per wheel!
Old 03-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Torre
Racer

PLEASE post a few pics of the car when they are installed. There are a total of 0 photos online of RS Spyder wheels on a 957.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:43 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio
I pulled the trigger on the 20" RS Spyder wheels with Conti DWS. Installation is next week while I'm out of town. I'll update you when I get a chance to drive after I get back.

On weight alone, the difference is a reduction of about 15 lbs per wheel!
How much did you pay for the wheels? I'm hunting for something similar. Have 22" champion forged wheels, which are amazing, but not particularly appropriate for my use of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Changing Cayenne Wheels