Sponsored by:

New Towing Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 12:17 AM
philted
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Towing Question

Bought a Featherlite trailer today. The trailer has electric brakes. The salesman told me that I need to have a "brake controller" installed. He showed me a blister-packed device that he said I need to purchase and "have installed underneath my dash." According to the salesman, I wll have no brakes on the tailer until I have this device installed. What the hell is he talking about? Does this ring a bell with any of you who are using the Pepper to tow?
Old 10-05-2003, 12:42 AM
Scott in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

nice choice of trailer. the brakes on the trailer are elctrically controlled. The brake controller, as the name implies, allows you to control the amount of braking force applied to the wheels on the trailer, VERY important. It is a necesity to have this controller to properly tow a load. There was a thread earlier that discussed this. Do a search. In that thread a reference was made to an official porsche service bulletin regarding this: Cayenne 0305 6696, dated 8-22-03. I would get your dealer to handle this for you, with the Cayenne I would not allow another shop to do it. But if you want to get a copy of this service bulletin from your dealer and go to a competent porsche mechanic for the install. It really is a simple thing but with all the electronics on these new cars I would stick with the Porsche dealer for this if it was me. Take care,
Old 10-05-2003, 12:57 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Just had my controler installed yesterday by Newport Auto Center in Newport Beach Ca. (see thread on brake controlers) and they did a great job. They dealer needs to program the system which takes about 45 minutes using the Ps2 . It took him over 4 hours to wire in the unit. The parts department can help you if you ask for the Cayenne wiring kit. Actually, it is a VW part. Refrer to Cayenne technical bulletin 0305 6696. dated 8/22/03. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

What is the difference between the stopping effectiveness of

Surge brakes vs elec. controller applied braking?
Old 10-06-2003, 10:16 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Surge brakes apply the brakes for the trailer AFTER the hitch assembly senses the inertia of the trailer going faster than the tow vehicle. So, big time lag between the time you actually hit the brakes to trailer brakes are applied.

Controller applied - the moment your brake lights come on, so does the trailer brakes.

Take your pick, I like the controller applied better.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:43 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by sasilverbullet
Surge brakes apply the brakes for the trailer AFTER the hitch assembly senses the inertia of the trailer going faster than the tow vehicle. So, big time lag between the time you actually hit the brakes to trailer brakes are applied.

Ah... Hah. So that's what the rap I hear in the back - when I brake, is called -"time lag".

So the controller doesn't apply the brake backing up a grade (like the surge brakes do)?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

A good brake controller is the all-electronic Tekonsha Prodigy. No pendulum to reset or go bad. I bought mine at Southwestwheel.com.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Scott in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another point on the electric brake controller that is important. It also allows you to set the amount of braking desired. you will want more braking applied to the trailer brakes when you have a load in the trailer as opposed to when you are towing the trailer empty. Trust me you do not want to tow a load with out one of these things. It is just not safe to do so.

JJayB, what did your dealer charge you to install it, if you don't mind me asking? thanks.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:18 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 123 Posts

Torag--

"So the controller doesn't apply the brake backing up a grade (like the surge brakes do)?"

Yes it does not. A brake controller applies the trailer brakes proportionally to the amount of pedal pressure. If you're not pressing the brake pedal, the trailer brakes aren't applied.

And Scott's point about user-controllable amount of trailer braking is important. A trailer certainly needs more braking effort when loaded than when not.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

In my case the trailer is always loaded (w boat), except in launch area parking lot (no brakes needed).

When surge brakes are applied, it's to the max capability (no touchie/feelie). This can result in tire skid or worst brake lock. I haven't had problems (satisfied) with surge brakes except when I back up upgrades. My unbrake lock keeps popping off & it's a pain in the butt (in&out.. etc..).

I'll make a decision when I get my new boat & trailer.

Thanks guys fro the info...
Old 10-09-2003, 12:22 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Just finished my first towing trip with the Cayenne Turbo which was 300 miles round trip through LA traffic out to Willow Springs Raceway yesterday. I had the Tekonsha Prodigy installed last week. I've had several brake controlers in the past and this is far and away the best. I've always felt the toughest part of towing was stop and go trafffic, but the Cayenne transmission and brakes make it a pleasure compared to any thing else i've towed with.
I'm towing an aluminum 18' Sloan tilt bed (no ramps) and my 993tt street/track car. Total weight 5100 lbs. Since most of the race venues in SoCal are in the desert areas, windy conditions are always a problem. The electronic brake controler is a must have. I have learned the hard way as some years ago jacknifed my trailer in very windy conditions and felt that the surge brakes didn't give me enough control. Just my $.02

Scott in Texas, dealer hit me for $400 for the install which included parts.
Newport Beach isn't known for cheap labor rates.

Quick Reply: New Towing Question