Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove front air shock rod nut?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:53 PM
GrandeOak
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to remove front air shock rod nut?

I am in the middle of replacing a bunch of front-end suspension components - one of them being the rubber shock upper mounts.

When I try to remove the shock rod nut the entire shock rod turns (even if I hold the old rubber mount).

Any ideas how to get the shock rod nut off?

This is the nut I am referring to (old mount is completely broken down - 2005 CTT with 118K miles).

Old 02-07-2016, 01:28 AM
timwu12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have an impact wrench?

the instructions on the arnott units show them using an air gun, but I don't know how you'd put the nut and torque it back down after taking it off
Old 02-07-2016, 04:03 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

The only good way to do it is with an impact wrench. You can try with vice grip and towel, but you are nearly guaranteed to screw up the shaft and not get a proper seal.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:31 AM
RLHornbeck
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also cut most of the rubber bushing apart which will give you access to both the nut and the square part of the shaft. Then put a wrench on both to remove. However an impact wrench will be needed to put them back together.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:06 PM
timwu12
Instructor

How do you torque it back up after the impact wrench when you reinstall the nut?
Old 02-07-2016, 12:58 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

That's the beauty of an impact wrench. Flip it from reverse back to forward and do some short bursts to torque it back on.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Mikew85
AutoX

Only use an impact to take things apart. Ever .

The rod with the nut your trying to remove is flat on two sides for a reason.

Using the correct size open wrench hold the stut rod as a counter and turn the nut. When going back together get it close by hand and then torque it.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:23 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikew85
Only use an impact to take things apart. Ever .
Truly good advice, certainly when torque specs are critical and you run a good risk breaking whatever you are working on.
However, unless you've got a fantastic tool set in the garage one has to improvise. I do not have such a tool set that would allow me to grip that shaft while also applying any sort of torque on that nut.
Threaded the nut hand-tight on the otherwise-free-spinning shaft, then used the impact wrench to tighten it with a few short bursts. There is no potential for breaking a stud or bolt since you are relying on angular momentum to tighten against. The shaft starts turning before snapping.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:28 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Visit a local professional car parts supplier ( not the Autozone sort, more like NAPA.) And take the shock with you. There is a specific tool used to work with a shock with the flatted end shaft. It is partly a socket that fits that somewhat oval shaft precisely. Trying to do it with an open-end or adjustable wrench is almost certain to booger (tech term) it up..

Sometimes DIY requires spending money on the right tool.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:17 AM
GrandeOak
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikew85
Using the correct size open wrench hold the stut rod as a counter and turn the nut.
There isn't room to get an open ended wrench in there.

I am all about buying the right tool for DIY. I think I have a friend with an impact wrench. If not i will see what NAPA has as this doesn't seem like a torque critical application.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:12 PM
kjbu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you have symptoms of this upper rubber mount failing?
I have a knocking sound when I'm on top of speed-bumps and car goes down again. The knock sound comes when the suspension is "falling down" after the bump. All bushings are OK, as it passed my country's "MOT". I suspect something with the air-springs.

AND please take picture of your repair of the air-springs, post them in your thread here :-)
Old 02-13-2016, 05:30 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 108 Posts

The nut is 22 mm ATF, so in some cases you can use an oxygen sensor socket while counterholding the rod with a 10 mm. wrench, I believe. With the recess on this Cayenne part, I am not sure that will work well enough to get things torqued to spec, though.

As Deilen mentions, this Lisle tool looks like the bomb: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/l...400/22984545-p , and for $18 well worth a try.

Impact tools don't always do the job: I've had problems with them simply spinning the rod.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:06 PM
GrandeOak
Instructor

I ended up using an impact wrench to remove the nut and reinstall it.

There are plenty of other bolts on these rigs that are impossible to torque due to limited access so I am not to worried about it in this situation.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:19 PM
GrandeOak
Instructor

Default Symptoms of front air shock mount failing

Originally Posted by kjbu
Did you have symptoms of this upper rubber mount failing?
I had a clunk over bumps - mostly from the passenger side.

I am replacing all front control arms, tie-rods, end links and sway bar bushings so it will be hard to tell exactly what fixed the clunks (haven't buttoned it all up yet).

However, the passenger side shock mount was in 3 pieces (see picture below). The driver side showed only minor wear.

Other than a lot of horizontal movement in my upper control arm bushings no bushings showed signs failure - just some wear/slight cracks/dryness - so there is a good chance the shock mount was a primary cause of the noise.

I also replaced the o-ring under the upper shock mounting plate and lubricated with dielectric silicon grease. The area is under pressure as you will hear air escaping when you loosen the 4 bolts holding it to the shock.

The o-ring is p/n N-910-956-01

I can post a more thorough overview of the shock mount replacement if desired.

Quick Reply: How to remove front air shock rod nut?