Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:37 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah definitely that ECS tuning turbo s kit. Just a no brainier for the price.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:44 AM
spooltime
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I too have over the last month or so started to notice vibration at idle and shuddering while rolling to a stop that didn't exist before. Undoubtedly at ten years and 110K miles, the engine mounts are due for a replacement. I got all excited planning out this project, until I took at look at the factory shop manual.

For the 955 Cayenne Turbo models, the manual says the engine needs to come out of the vehicle and the turbo units need to be removed in order to replace the mounts. I don't have the equipment necessary, or the tools, to tackle a project of this magnitude (engine removal). But I'm wondering if anyone has ever done engine mounts on the 955 turbo version without removing the engine and turbocharger units?

If not, time to save up some serious coin. When the engine is out, there are a bunch of other smaller items that also can be done with the easy access. I know I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point . . . .
Old 08-30-2016, 01:43 PM
NotSlowNotFast
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Travis

Thank you very much for starting this post, it made for an easy starting point. Got the job done in a little under 3 hours last night after work. She drives and idles like a dream now.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:21 AM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Congratulations on a successful DIY!

It is certainly a positive change that makes the drive so much more enjoyable.

Originally Posted by NotSlowNotFast
Travis

Thank you very much for starting this post, it made for an easy starting point. Got the job done in a little under 3 hours last night after work. She drives and idles like a dream now.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Paulgeorg
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Travis.... you have change also this subframe bushings?

I have a Cayenne S 2006 with 110.000km. since 1 year the air suspension signal turns on...but suspension works ok. seems to be a level sensor..but also i have a hard knock when the car lift a little on the street and the knock sounds when it goes down again. Checked all the strut and bushes.. everything looks ok... thinking and thinking I wonder if it can be the front right lower subframe silent block # 955341133-01?
Maybe this subframe is a little be loose because of this mounting axle bracket and generates the knock with the lifts and down on the street..and also make the sensor warning light turn on ( out of range and sends the faulty signal?) ..besides this the car is 3 cm high on the right side than the left side

Please any hint and help will be very appreciate before start to disarm and find the problem...
Old 03-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Paulgeorg,

The symptoms you describe do not match up with engine mounts. If you have a low vibration at idle or your engine hesitates coming to a stop, this is a classic symptom of the worn motor mounts. What you describe sounds like a leaking air spring, valve or line to the left side of the car.

Your air shocks may need servicing or the air suspension compressor may need to be rebuilt. My Cayenne does not have air suspension so I have not had the experience of working on that system.

I would definitely use a spray bottle with a soapy mixture and spray on the air spring for the corner of the car that is low. This will help you identify any leaks on the suspicious strut. I understand that the air suspension compressor has to work a lot more than normal to compensate so it too can become worn out quicker.

Let us know what you find. Might be better to post a new topic if the problem ends up being suspension and not motor mounts.

Edit: I see you already created a thread on suspension. Let's see what the forum members can help with.

Last edited by Travis; 03-15-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: updated to include pointer to suspension thread.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:52 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Great write-up, thanks for doing that. Is this a two-person or one-person job?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can do it on your own. Power tools are your friends for some of the high torque bolts.

Take your time, pretty straightforward.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:21 PM
reeddnlsn
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone successfully DIY'd the mounts on a Turbo without pulling the engine? Mine are getting pretty bad. It looks potentially possible after pulling the turbo but am hoping for a better solution. I did find a DIY on pulling the turbos without pulling the engine then I think I would have decent access but it is unclear and I would hate to pull a damn turbo to find out the engine needs to come out anyway.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:49 PM
jprobertson
4th Gear

Default ciscorp DIY instructions

hey thanks for the pictures I'm gonna tackle this is the next couple of months.
Where are the 'CISCORP's DIY instructions? I looked all over does he PM them?
Old 05-26-2018, 09:24 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

The info is in a thread about shuddering and Ciscorp added his info in it

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ng-down-3.html

see post 31
Old 05-27-2018, 12:49 AM
jprobertson
4th Gear

thank you very much. I really appreciate it!
Old 11-09-2020, 04:30 PM
ninelevenick
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I will be helping a friend install new motor mounts on his '06 CS. The OP uses an engine support bar, which is probably the route we will go. However, it's unclear what on the engine the chain attaches. Does anyone have a good location where it is sturdy enough to attach the chains?
Old 11-09-2020, 08:33 PM
bobbyjimmy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ninelevenick
However, it's unclear what on the engine the chain attaches. Does anyone have a good location where it is sturdy enough to attach the chains?
Looks like it's attached to the engine where the torque bar/rod was.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:35 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

ninelevennick, I used the hook that comes with the support bar to the bolt that is used for the engine support bar. Just remove the 12mm triple square bolt from the valve cover mount, swing the support arm out and put the bolt back into the valve cover mount and then mount the support bar to the inner fenders and then hook up the chain to the bolt. Tension the chain and you're all set. It'll be clear once you're in there.

From Pelican Parts: https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techar...mall/pic01.jpg

Quick Reply: Replacing the Mounts