Air Suspension, PSM Workshop, Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 06:44 PM
Larmo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Suspension, PSM Workshop, Limp Mode

For the smart guys...

I took my 955 CTT cross country for a ski trip two weeks ago. At high altitude and -15 temps it first threw a code for Air Suspension Workshop, which I believe is probably the pump needing to be rebuilt/replaced. Within a few seconds while on ice, it then threw the PSM Workshop code.

First Q: is it a good idea to use the cheap rebuild kits out of Europe for the ring and gasket replace or do I need to buy a new pump like Porsche recommends?

Soon after the air pump warning, it threw the PSM Workshop code while driving on ice/snow. My guess is it is related to an inability to level the car due to the pump at high altitude and once it is thrown it won't auto reset down at sea level when the pump seems to be ok again.

On the way home the transmission worked fine at start up and slow speeds but whenever I exceeded 70 mph, it went into limp mode, still working fine through all the gears. But for the indicator being lit up, you wouldn't know there was a problem at all.

Second Q: My plan is to repair the pump and then depending on the code check, assume most likely everything is related to vehicle ride height. I was wondering if the PSM Workshop goes off does it trigger the transmission limp mode? If not, then it could be there is another issue we need to sort after the pump. Even so, I am planning to record the codes and then reset to see if they reappear before putting more money into it. Thoughts/comments?

Thanks for the feedback guys, Larry
Old 01-10-2016, 11:17 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With that amount of electrical gremlins all coming along at once I would start by replacing the battery
Old 01-11-2016, 12:09 AM
driveline
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry,

Last week. I had the exact thing happen to me while traveling from Texas to NM for a ski trip. With the low temperatures the air pump was having difficulty and probably timing out.

I also had a PSM error, although I am not certain it was the air suspension. I think it had more to do with a wheel speed sensor. The engine actually cut power at 70mph. I thought I was stranded, but after stopping restarting it came back up. I used the PSM switched off the rest of the trip.

When I got back to normal Texas temperatures it went away no sign of problems for a week. I will let you know if i figure out the issue on my end.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:05 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Had air compressor workshop come on when it turned cold. Would go away for a while, but come back on. Stopped and aired up the tires to the correct pressures and it hasn't come back on since, despite even lower temps.

Chocked it up to leveling errors due to differences in tire pressures.

Do not have TPMS.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension, PSM Workshop, Limp Mode