Air Suspension, PSM Workshop, Limp Mode - 955 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Larmo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Suspension, PSM Workshop, Limp Mode - 955 CTT

For the smart guys...

I took my 955 CTT cross country for a ski trip two weeks ago. At high altitude and -15 temps it first threw a code for Air Suspension Workshop, which I believe is probably the pump needing to be rebuilt/replaced. Within a few seconds while on ice, it then threw the PSM Workshop code.

First Q: is it a good idea to use the cheap rebuild kits out of Europe for the ring and gasket replace or do I need to buy a new pump like Porsche recommends?

Soon after the air pump warning, it threw the PSM Workshop code while driving on ice/snow. My guess is it is related to an inability to level the car due to the pump at high altitude and once it is thrown it won't auto reset down at sea level when the pump seems to be ok again.

On the way home the transmission worked fine at start up and slow speeds but whenever I exceeded 70 mph, it went into limp mode, still working fine through all the gears. But for the indicator being lit up, you wouldn't know there was a problem at all.

Second Q: My plan is to repair the pump and then depending on the code check, assume most likely everything is related to vehicle ride height. I was wondering if the PSM Workshop goes off does it trigger the transmission limp mode? If not, then it could be there is another issue we need to sort after the pump. Even so, I am planning to record the codes and then reset to see if they reappear before putting more money into it. Thoughts/comments?

Thanks for the feedback guys, Larry
Old 01-10-2016, 08:01 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First question - seriously - have you confirmed your battery is in good shape? Low batteries will throw all kinds of weird events; ask me how I know.

As to the air suspension fault warning: Did you notice a corner of the car being down or anything else beside the warning that would indicate the air suspension is not working properly? I first saw the warning while visiting high altitude Taos, New Mexico, in 2007 or 2009 and I get it periodically since.....after much sleuthing the senior tech at the local Oklahoma City dealer traced it to a faulty sensor and we determined it would be a lot cheaper to live with periodic warning messages than to do a possibly unneeded rebuild.

--Bob (2004 CS, original and still the owner)
Old 01-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Larmo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Both batteries were replaced 12 mos ago.

Haven't noticed slumping. This is the second time for the air suspension warning. The first was last year again at high altitude in extreme cold. I ignored that one. No PSM that time.

Given what I like to do in this car, I'm going ahead with the rebuild. Kit was only $30.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:10 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Check air pressure in tires. Had my 955S put those codes up after it turned cold. Tires were low. Aired up to correct pressures and has not come back on despite lower temps. Don't have TPMS
/

Quick Reply: Air Suspension, PSM Workshop, Limp Mode - 955 CTT