Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Powder Coat OEM 21" Wheels or Not ... Discussion ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:34 PM
JD305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation To Powder Coat OEM 21" Wheels or Not ... Discussion ???

Hey guys I want to open this topic because there may be new techniques or feedback from those that have powder coated their OEM rims and had good/bad experiences. I have 21" OEM wheels and was looking into powder coating to fix the various curb rash.

Taking into account that our pigs are 5000+ pounds of metal on large 21" rims ... this can pose a problem if the rims are weakened ... causing tragic accident.

I've read a few articles around here about powder coating these larger 21" rims ... the pros/cons ... and read other articles that say it's Ok if the temp to cure the gel coat stays below 300 or 400 degrees?

So some questions ...

1. What aluminum are this 21" OEM rims made of .. the 5-spoke Sports and the multi spoked Sport-Plus? ... 6601 T6 aluminum?

2. Can Powder Coating these 21" rims be successfully baked at a certain Low temperature? ... or higher temps are required!?

3. Taking into account that the finish is removed via sandblasting (not hot acid dip)!

4. Feedback?
Old 01-06-2016, 08:29 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I am a professional powdercoater, although I am pretty much retiring from that business and just concentrating on my flying career now that I am a Captain at Delta.

I have powdercoated many rims, aftermarket manufacturers powdercoat their rims (my forgestar 22s came powdercoated from the factory), and OEMs use a combination of liquid and powder coatings.

I have seen lots of speculation that powdercoating weakens wheels, but never a first hand account. Its always a friend of a friend or other hearsay.

Wheels are generally cured at 375-400 degrees, although there are some powders that cure at 340.

I have a race only 370z and have a set of wheels on it that I have powdercoated twice. I also had them widened when I first bought them. I have been using them for 5 years on the racecar and have over 15000 track miles on them. If they were going to be damaged by coating, I think they would have failed by now.

Sandblasting won't affect integrity either, but it is sufficient prep to only thoroughly clean and then wet sand them to scuff the original coating.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:25 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thinking about getting my 20" sport technos done.

I probably get the wheels up to 400 degrees just braking, the way I drive (:
Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Whats the best way to fix the curb rash and refinish? I got four cans of Wurth silver enamel, waiting on a correct way.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:15 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Thinking about getting my 20" sport technos done.

I probably get the wheels up to 400 degrees just braking, the way I drive (:
Ha. In reality probably 150. That's what most 997's get on a short track with heavy braking after a 20min session.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:58 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Whats the best way to fix the curb rash and refinish? I got four cans of Wurth silver enamel, waiting on a correct way.
There are some good vids on youtube showing how.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

well, my 370z wheels got hot enough on track to actually melt the powdercoat, so they were probably in the 300-350 degree range to get it soft enough to sling off. Yet, they still haven't failed

Old 01-07-2016, 09:23 AM
Mikek2s
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Timely topic.

I took my 21" Gloss Black Sport Edition wheels to a power coater yesterday.

These wheels are extremely prone to chips during normal driving.

The powder coater said he would strip the entire wheel by sand blasting and the use a 20% black gloss to finish the wheels which he said is extremely durable.

He also said he would power coat the entire wheel making off the contact points for the center caps, wheel bolts and mounting surface.

I'm still pondering if I want to move forward.

If I do, I'll post pics.

Mike
Old 01-07-2016, 08:33 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikek2s
Timely topic.

I took my 21" Gloss Black Sport Edition wheels to a power coater yesterday.

These wheels are extremely prone to chips during normal driving.

The powder coater said he would strip the entire wheel by sand blasting and the use a 20% black gloss to finish the wheels which he said is extremely durable.

He also said he would power coat the entire wheel making off the contact points for the center caps, wheel bolts and mounting surface.

I'm still pondering if I want to move forward.

If I do, I'll post pics.

Mike

My wheels are getting tired at 83k and I am considering powder coating them when I make my seasonal tire change. Keep us posted if you decide to move forward. I am interested in the cost as well.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 01-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

While normally we chose to stay away from posting on these sorts of threads I think there are some very important things to consider.

1. Sand Blasting or Hot Strip can add to the levels of porosity which are microscopic holes created from the sheer blast force of tiny particles of sand which is not a safer method over cold stripping.

2. We have for close to 13-years now have use a method we refer to as Hard-Bake finishing, this is only done after the finish of the wheels have been naturally cured under a controlled temperature (NOT BE BE CONFUSED WITH A "REQUIRED TEMPERATURE").

3. Remember, just because something hasn't failed doesn't mean that it's safe. We all know a friend or a few who have said things like "I've been smoking a pack a day for 20-years and look at me, still healthy". We all know that it's not a measurable comparison unless the person was cloned.

Just for fun we will attach some of the Smooth Hard Baked finished wheels we have done on the Porsche Cayenne.

for more information go to www.wheeldynamics.com and click on the Refinishing tab.
Attached Images          
Old 01-08-2016, 08:15 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't complain about some expertise and wheel **** from a contributing sponsor
Old 01-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Can't complain about some expertise and wheel **** from a contributing sponsor
Thank you but this always opens up a can of worms...
Old 01-08-2016, 02:52 PM
primm907
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not the best pic, but all I have handy...

My 21's were powder coated a few months back. Went with a "cosmetallic" color so they weren't completely blacked out. Been happy with the results. I have a local guy about a mile from my house that charged me $300. Thought that was a pretty decent deal.

EDIT: Apologize for the picture. Wasn't worth posting, but I thought it'd be bigger and can't figure out how to delete the original post!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:41 PM
JD305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well ... I finally brought my set of 21" OEM Sportplus to get power coated standard Porsche Silver...

The veteran powder coater I talked to has 30+ in metal electroplating and powder coating. They do very high end wheels on lambos and ferrari .... the do not hot acid dip ... sand blast then bake the powder coat at below 400 degrees. Assured me up and down that he's never heard or seen one of his wheels fail due to powder coating. Old school guy and lots of experience in the shop I visited.

Mine do have curb rash that needs to be sanded down.

I feel fairly comfortable about some of the research I've done and was comfortable with the decision.

I did pay a bit more ... $600 for the 4 wheels and take down scratches and curb rash on the lips.

I'll post some photos once I get them back at the end of the week.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:29 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JD305
well ... I finally brought my set of 21" OEM Sportplus to get power coated standard Porsche Silver...

The veteran powder coater I talked to has 30+ in metal electroplating and powder coating. They do very high end wheels on lambos and ferrari .... the do not hot acid dip ... sand blast then bake the powder coat at below 400 degrees. Assured me up and down that he's never heard or seen one of his wheels fail due to powder coating. Old school guy and lots of experience in the shop I visited.

Mine do have curb rash that needs to be sanded down.

I feel fairly comfortable about some of the research I've done and was comfortable with the decision.

I did pay a bit more ... $600 for the 4 wheels and take down scratches and curb rash on the lips.

I'll post some photos once I get them back at the end of the week.
Where are you located and what shop? Thanks.

Quick Reply: To Powder Coat OEM 21" Wheels or Not ... Discussion ???