Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Powder Coat OEM 21" Wheels or Not ... Discussion ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 12:40 PM
JD305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question now is .... should I have the other OEM 21" Sport wheels cleaned up and PC'd at the tune of $600 .... or just sell them outright with curb rash and all.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:14 PM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
Nice update of hardware might just be the ticket to complete your project. We are working on that same set, post photos when done... The last time we did this same set here was the results..... Gloss Black at an angle Gloss Black face Continued the Gloss finishing all the way through Contact points were covered in order to have a perfect match during installation, notice the finish is nice even behind each spoke. The final product mounted.
did you out those 21" on a 958 turbo?
anymore pics?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
PC is fine. I've done over 3000 sets in the last 10 years before slowing my business down. But I do refer people to wheel dynamcis now, as there are few competent shops that do them.
We initially did some sample work when getting into the PC side, however after getting in contact with Race Technologies (the US Brembo importer) and speaking with them extensively regarding the reasoning and OEM finishing process we felt it was best to follow a method that closely replicated the original finish.

This is the reasoning behind our choice to hard-bake over PC.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by revolution993
did you out those 21" on a 958 turbo?
anymore pics?

Thanks
The Gloss Black yes, but we just started the other set, those won't be done for at least a week.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JD305
My question now is .... should I have the other OEM 21" Sport wheels cleaned up and PC'd at the tune of $600 .... or just sell them outright with curb rash and all.
Depends on your market, I would offer out "as-is" but if they are not moving then consider putting money into them. Sometimes it's hard for people to vision the end results but others will want an other color for instance and see the value of a discounted wheel to have refinished their way.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:23 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

We initially did some sample work when getting into the PC side, however after getting in contact with Race Technologies (the US Brembo importer) and speaking with them extensively regarding the reasoning and OEM finishing process we felt it was best to follow a method that closely replicated the original finish.

This is the reasoning behind our choice to hard-bake over PC.
not knocking your finish by any means, just another way of getting there. I hope people who are calling are telling you I send them.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MJG911
not knocking your finish by any means, just another way of getting there. I hope people who are calling are telling you I send them.
Yes, I understand, only giving the reason why we chose this method years back, we have received some calls and yes they have made mention of your referrals which we do appreciate.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:23 PM
JD305
Instructor

Thanks for the reply ... I was thinking whether to drop the $650+ on the wheels to get them PC'd ... or offer them "as is" with curb rash ... as you said, find buyer with vision ... the PC I had done is top notch, the old guy has been doing all types of metal finishes for over 30 years ... explained the whole processed and dispelled many rumors that are out there about PC and wheels.

What's a baseline non-refinished used price for these Sport 21" wheels? Then shipping is probably about $25 a wheel in the US?

Depends on your market, I would offer out "as-is" but if they are not moving then consider putting money into them. Sometimes it's hard for people to vision the end results but others will want an other color for instance and see the value of a discounted wheel to have refinished their way.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Lots of information available regarding PC products, however I found this link that has some good information and real-world explanations

Also remember, just because you have something without failure over the years doesn't necessarily make is safe. I'm sure there are plenty of homes that have missing load bearing walls which were removed during remodels etc. although they might not have fallen in 30-years, it still doesn't mean they are safe or that they will not fail in time.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...um-wheels.html
Old 05-13-2016, 02:31 PM
JD305
Instructor

True there is debate on this .... most of the high temps they talk about was mainly due to the quick and dirty hot acid that was used in the past to remove the old coatings ... nowadays mostly tedious sandblasting is used.

Cure temp can be discussed and as noted ... below 400 degrees ... the quality of work also matters ... who is doing it and how they are doing it ... also, the quality of materials and ovens they are using .. I'm thinking makes a difference

As with anything in life ... even OEM parts on a well designed German car can fail .. look at coolant pipes and drive shaft bearings to name a few on these Cayennes

Lots of information available regarding PC products, however I found this link that has some good information and real-world explanations

Also remember, just because you have something without failure over the years doesn't necessarily make is safe. I'm sure there are plenty of homes that have missing load bearing walls which were removed during remodels etc. although they might not have fallen in 30-years, it still doesn't mean they are safe or that they will not fail in time.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...um-wheels.html

Quick Reply: To Powder Coat OEM 21" Wheels or Not ... Discussion ???