Sponsored by:

Disabling Entry and Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:48 AM
slc_chap
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling Entry and Drive

First, I've lurked here for a while since I bought my Cayenne a few months ago and want to thank you all for the useful stuff you've been posting here, it's been a great resource and I'm very appreciative of your advice and discussions.

I have an 06 Turbo S with all of the trimmings that I bought earlier this year, and there are some things I love about it (the engine and the power, and given the weather in Utah this week, the heated seats) and some that I truly detest.

One of those things is the entry and drive system. I appreciate that many people love things like this, but speaking personally I just do not. It's too gimmicky for me, and all I want is for the car door to unlock when I push the button on the keyfob (or put the key in the door), to then stay unlocked, and then to lock when I tell it to lock again.

Every time I try to load the car up with luggage for a trip, I'll put the first bag in, go back in the house, put the key down, (forgetting that I have to carry the damned bulky set of keys with me), walk back out to the car with the next set of luggage to find that it's either locked itself, or if I've left the door open, the alarm is screaming out over the neighborhood. The same thing happens if there's two or three of us loading the car - at some point one of us gets locked out by the automatic lock, which is just infuriating for whoever it happens to.

I'm sure there are tricks to dealing with this, but I don't want to work around it, I really just want it out of my life. It happened again this morning and it's driving me insane.

Is there ANY way of just reverting to a simple locking and unlocking system?

I have access to the professional durametric but couldn't see any relevant option in the menus, I've also been through the comfort settings in the main console and can't see anything there that's relevant.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-31-2015, 10:30 AM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

You should read your manual. Automatic locking (and other settings) are configurable in the vehicle settings menu.

My car never locks itself. One of the settings automatically locks the doors after "entry", "ignition on" or "drive off". Turn this feature off. In your example of loading the car it probably thinks you have entered and the auto lock kicks in. If you turn it off. It just never locks itself automatically which is what you are looking for.

You can also set the number of doors that unlock with one press (driver only or all). I like them all unlocked with one press so that is easily set. It's actually a pretty good system.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:04 PM
slc_chap
5th Gear

Thanks for the reply, but do you actually have 'entry and drive' (PED)? This is not the standard locking/ignition mechanism but was an expensive optional package installed when the car was first built. It's the system where there's a proximity sensor in the car that detects if the key is close to/in the vehicle and acts accordingly. There is a dummy ignition key you can put in the ignition if you wish and the car will then start without inserting the real key if the key is in the driver's possession. PED overrides a lot of the other settings.

I do have that setting configured in the same way that you do, and IF the key is in the car or my pocket then all is good - the doors all open at once and stay unlocked. The problem is that if the key goes out of range then the automatic stuff takes over and the car re-locks itself or at least tries to, and if it fails because a door was left open then the alarm goes off.

It unlocks again provided you have the key with you and you touch the small sensor embedded in the door handles, but like I say if I've put my keys down in the house, or I'm not the one trying to re-open the doors then they're locked again and it's infuriating.

I'm sure some people love it, I just don't
Old 12-31-2015, 01:55 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Unfortunately for you, entry and drive handles precisely what it says. If you disable it, you'll neither be able to enter or drive. Even when you use the standard key in place of the dummy, the entry and drive system looks for the key wirelessly to allow starting.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:07 PM
Raceit
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would it work to buy a 3rd key (programmed, etc) to leave in the glove box or wherever. Then use your regular key to lock/unlock as normal?

edit...I guess that creates a security risk if the car is simply broken into though.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:22 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by slc_chap
Thanks for the reply, but do you actually have 'entry and drive' (PED)? This is not the standard locking/ignition mechanism but was an expensive optional package installed when the car was first built. It's the system where there's a proximity sensor in the car that detects if the key is close to/in the vehicle and acts accordingly. There is a dummy ignition key you can put in the ignition if you wish and the car will then start without inserting the real key if the key is in the driver's possession. PED overrides a lot of the other settings.

I do have that setting configured in the same way that you do, and IF the key is in the car or my pocket then all is good - the doors all open at once and stay unlocked. The problem is that if the key goes out of range then the automatic stuff takes over and the car re-locks itself or at least tries to, and if it fails because a door was left open then the alarm goes off.

It unlocks again provided you have the key with you and you touch the small sensor embedded in the door handles, but like I say if I've put my keys down in the house, or I'm not the one trying to re-open the doors then they're locked again and it's infuriating.

I'm sure some people love it, I just don't
I have a 2011 with entry and drive so there might be a difference, but yours sounds like it is not working properly as mine will never lock itself again after a door has actually been opened following an unlock. It will re-lock only if no door opens based on the coding value time set point in the alarm system. Same goes for my wife's Mercedes that has this type of system. I'd bet you have a faulty door latch sensor or other issue as the car should not try to lock itself again after a door has been opened following the unlocking routine.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:44 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

You might have a problem with sensors in one of the handles if your car tries to lock itself when a door is opened. I had to replace my passenger handle assembly just because of that.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:02 PM
slc_chap
5th Gear

Originally Posted by garrett376
I have a 2011 with entry and drive so there might be a difference, but yours sounds like it is not working properly as mine will never lock itself again after a door has actually been opened following an unlock. It will re-lock only if no door opens based on the coding value time set point in the alarm system. Same goes for my wife's Mercedes that has this type of system. I'd bet you have a faulty door latch sensor or other issue as the car should not try to lock itself again after a door has been opened following the unlocking routine.
Thanks for the replies guys

Mine works like yours if the DRIVER'S door has been opened, and maybe too the front passenger door, but I'm usually stowing briefcases, laptops and overcoats on the back seat through the rear doors and they don't register in the same way. It's possible that one of those sensors has gone, but I'm pretty sure this happens for both rear doors on mine. I know I could probably just 'live with it' by remembering to open the front door once each time, but I usually have other things on my mind at that point and I forget, and the next thing I know the alarm's waking the neighbors at 4am.

Do you know if the relock time is something that can be adjusted - and set to infinity? I didn't think of looking at that in the durametric settings, hmmmm maybe that would work.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:05 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

You should just find where the fault is instead of working around it as you should be able to open any door or the hatch and it works the same. Your hatch and/or rear doors are probably where the fault exists. On a side note, the PIWIS allows adjusting the re-lock delay; I have no idea if Durametric does... probably not!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by slc_chap
Thanks for the reply, but do you actually have 'entry and drive' (PED)? This is not the standard locking/ignition mechanism but was an expensive optional package installed when the car was first built. It's the system where there's a proximity sensor in the car that detects if the key is close to/in the vehicle and acts accordingly. There is a dummy ignition key you can put in the ignition if you wish and the car will then start without inserting the real key if the key is in the driver's possession. PED overrides a lot of the other settings. I do have that setting configured in the same way that you do, and IF the key is in the car or my pocket then all is good - the doors all open at once and stay unlocked. The problem is that if the key goes out of range then the automatic stuff takes over and the car re-locks itself or at least tries to, and if it fails because a door was left open then the alarm goes off. It unlocks again provided you have the key with you and you touch the small sensor embedded in the door handles, but like I say if I've put my keys down in the house, or I'm not the one trying to re-open the doors then they're locked again and it's infuriating. I'm sure some people love it, I just don't
I do have the optional entry and drive system (unlocks with touch of door handle, dummy key in ignition, etc). But don't have the issue you describe. My doors never lock themselves. The ONLY exception is when I press the unlock on the key and don't open any doors, it will relics after 30 seconds or so. That is a safety in case you unlocked the car inadvertently.

It sounds like something is wrong with yours. Maybe the sensors are bad (as someone else mentioned) and it doesn't know any doors where opened after the unlock command. Just a guess. But something is not right.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At first I hated it, but now I love the entry and drive. With hands full or cold weather never having to dig for the key is great.

To answer some questions I saw here...

- you can't keep a spare key on the interior of the vehicle. System uses antennae to know where the fob is and deliberately won't lock itself if perceives one on interior.

- don't think the auto lock can be undone, but line does not lock itself with doors open if I leave the key elsewhere.

- you actually may a problem with the door handle / microswitch. Tell me this, do your dome lights come on when you open any door? (After already unlocked? They come on auto when entry assist first unlocks) Try each door and cargo separately once unlocked. If one doesn't trigger the dome lights, there's a good chance the microswitch has stopped working and the cayenne doesn't understand the door is open and arms the interior motion detection alarm after a set period. Then it locks and sets off alarm. The interior motion detection is controllable either on the settings thru the stalk (alarm-interior-uncheck) or some pigs have a manual switch next to the driver on the B pillar. Good also to turn off if leave dogs or wives in the car. . Try these and report back
Old 01-01-2016, 03:23 PM
slc_chap
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Lionworks Auto
At first I hated it, but now I love the entry and drive. With hands full or cold weather never having to dig for the key is great.

To answer some questions I saw here...

- you can't keep a spare key on the interior of the vehicle. System uses antennae to know where the fob is and deliberately won't lock itself if perceives one on interior.

- don't think the auto lock can be undone, but line does not lock itself with doors open if I leave the key elsewhere.

- you actually may a problem with the door handle / microswitch. Tell me this, do your dome lights come on when you open any door? (After already unlocked? They come on auto when entry assist first unlocks) Try each door and cargo separately once unlocked. If one doesn't trigger the dome lights, there's a good chance the microswitch has stopped working and the cayenne doesn't understand the door is open and arms the interior motion detection alarm after a set period. Then it locks and sets off alarm. The interior motion detection is controllable either on the settings thru the stalk (alarm-interior-uncheck) or some pigs have a manual switch next to the driver on the B pillar. Good also to turn off if leave dogs or wives in the car. . Try these and report back
thanks for the pointers, and that would make sense, I'll go try this out later today.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:00 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 356 Posts

Lionswork, that's not quite right. If you have a key in the interior and you close the door, it will relock itself and you're SOL.

This happened to me this past fall, I'd left my keys in my camelbak, used the proximity to open the hatch, threw the camelbak into the hatch, then closed the hatch to load my bike. The car beeped twice and locked itself when the hatch shut.

Couldn't get into the car and had to call AAA to save me.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:15 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docwyte
Lionswork, that's not quite right. If you have a key in the interior and you close the door, it will relock itself and you're SOL. This happened to me this past fall, I'd left my keys in my camelbak, used the proximity to open the hatch, threw the camelbak into the hatch, then closed the hatch to load my bike. The car beeped twice and locked itself when the hatch shut. Couldn't get into the car and had to call AAA to save me.
Well, according to the owners manual it won't. And I've tried with mine as was curious at first and concerned about such a thing happening. It didn't lock (and wouldn't when tried the door tabs). Perhaps battery was near dead in your fob? Bummer that happened!
Old 01-02-2016, 02:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Lionworks Auto
Well, according to the owners manual it won't. And I've tried with mine as was curious at first and concerned about such a thing happening. It didn't lock (and wouldn't when tried the door tabs). Perhaps battery was near dead in your fob? Bummer that happened!
Not the exact same sequence but it does look like you can lock the key in the car:

Do not leave the key in the vehicle if the vehicle is locked and access is gained through the rear lid. The vehicle is automatically locked when the rear lid is closed.

The rear lid is locked automatically after 30 seconds if it is not opened.
If the key has been left in the vehicle, the emergency flasher flashes twice and a warning signal sounds. The rear lid can be opened again within approx. 30 seconds.

After 30 seconds have elapsed, the vehicle can be unlocked again only with the second key.

Quick Reply: Disabling Entry and Drive