Sponsored by:

Panoramic roof

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 11:04 AM
JeffES
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panoramic roof

Sigh.... while it's a good idea, seems that it (the panoramic roof) can't handle the torsional stresses, so it's back on the "back burner" for now.
I do hope they can work it out, though....
J
Old 10-01-2003, 04:20 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

torsional, shmorsional. Hard to believe Cadillac and BMW can figure it out and Porsche can't!
Old 10-01-2003, 05:14 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 416 Posts

But they've figured it out to THEIR standards, which aren't Porsche standards...
Old 10-01-2003, 05:19 PM
JeffES
Pro

Well, it's true. The issue is due to the suspension travel and suspension loading capabilities of the Cayenne. Neither the Cadillac nor the BMW nor the ML have those capabilities, thus they lack the ability to regularly stress body elements to the level of the Cayenne, so they need not worry. Note that this type of capability has limited Land Rover's ongoing plans for a so called "panoramic" roof in the Disco platform.
Porsche are working on it, but the plan to release it to production now has been delayed. I do hope that the details are worked out.
J
Old 10-02-2003, 01:18 PM
ngfan
Instructor

Default Re: Panoramic roof

Originally posted by JeffES
Sigh.... while it's a good idea, seems that it (the panoramic roof) can't handle the torsional stresses, so it's back on the "back burner" for now.
I do hope they can work it out, though....
J
I was told the same by a Porsche rep at IAA auto show
Old 10-02-2003, 08:47 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Personally I think it is all BS to support their marketing efforts. Clearly there is too much supply of the S out there. Once that dwindles down they will put out the new stuff like the 6 spd and roof.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:54 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

To add to that, I was told several years by a Porsche rep at the Chicago auto show they would NEVER EVER make a turbo cab on the new (996)platform because of similar engineering challenges. Let me clarify, there are no engineering challenges, simply sales and marketing challenges. You can't tell me that BMW can make it work and Porsche can't? And don't even try the crap about Porsche having higher standards, that is diminishing as we speak. Cayenne 0-60 in 9 seconds. Hardly worth the badge. Don't get me wrong, I like the vehicles, but BMW does a hell of a lot better on the customer service / truth side for my money. I was told for a year in 98 that the Boxster S wasn't coming either. I put my deposit down, waited nine months, got my Boxster and the next month they announced the S, after I dropped 60k on a loaded base. Could have had an S had they just been honest. FYI...I have had a deposit down on a Boxster Turbo for two + years. It will come, mark my word.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:49 AM
JeffES
Pro

KY - ?? Are you telling me there was a Turbo Cab in the first iteration of cabs? Of course not - the issue was that the first (plastic window) top was simply not up to snuff for high speed applications. In fact, if you take the time to use the "search" function here and on other boards, you will discover that many overseas 996 Cab owners experienced problems w/the folding top at high speeds. In 2000, (year of the Turbo Coupe), PAG realized (belatedly) that they would have to wait for the revised top (glass window plus other changes) to handle the stresses of higher speed operation.
As far as engineering challenges, I must respectfully disagree. As a rule of thumb, removing a 1 square foot section of top in a monocoque reduces torsional rigidity by 5% to 7%. Removing the entire top can reduce that up to nearly 75%! That's a major engineering challenge within the price/cost structure for a given vehicle.
You want carmakers to tell you what's for sale 2 years out? Now that's funny. No one has said the roof "isn't coming" or anything - just that it's taking some time. Since it's not a big deal to me, I'm ordering an "S" without worrying what will be out there 2 years from now......
J
Old 10-03-2003, 04:55 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In a survey I just mailed in they were very interested in our thoughts on a cab roof on the Cayenne, full, partial, stowable, automatic vs manual, as well as a hunded or so other questions.

I wish I had kept a copy, it was from Diagnostic Research (DR) anyone else get one.

The title was Porsche Cayenne Turbo/S 2004
Old 10-03-2003, 04:58 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Jeff,

I hear you when it comes to the engineering issue, but my point is that Porsche is far from forthcoming with its plans. I am not saying they have to give away their product plans, but they could at least be honest and say maybe instead of no. Telling a loyal customer a bold faced lie like "we will not make a turbo cab" is just not right. You can't argue with the fact that they come out with one or two extra features after the early adopters buy their vehicles. Instead of taking care of the people who help their cause by being the first to try a new product, they disadvantage them from the start and make them feel lucky to just have one. I have been treated far better by BMW than I have by Porsche. It's simply a shame that PCNA couldn't be a little more customer friendly, imagine how much better they might do? When Porsche brings out their M5 fighter sedan, it will be interesting to see if they try to take better care of their customers, that is if it is even coming out. I would venture to guess they would deny existance of those plans as well.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:34 PM
mojojojo
AutoX

When Porsche brings out their M5 fighter sedan, it will be interesting to see if they try to take better care of their customers, that is if it is even coming out.
Interloper here just dreaming of Cayennes...

Maybe that car will be based on the new VW C1 platform, designed to compete with the 5-series....

That car is due out in 2005/6.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:18 AM
noony
Racer

But ngfan saw a C with a panoramic roof at the factory...?
Old 10-06-2003, 02:42 PM
noony
Racer

Aha! Look at this!

Old 10-06-2003, 02:43 PM
noony
Racer

Sorry didn't see the other thread.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:38 PM
JeffES
Pro

Please note that I never said the "Pano" roof was not in the works, but rather I said that it has now been "back burnered" - a reference to it's (the Pano Roof) appearance, with price, in preliminary order guides, and it's subsequent disappearance. I'll be quite shocked if it does not make production, but it will not be here (in the US) by fall/winter of 2003 (as originally planned), and sprong of 2004 is not looking good - but again, I do hope that it's worked out.
J

Quick Reply: Panoramic roof