Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does a September production car mean for delivery timing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 03:09 PM
BenLee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What does a September production car mean for delivery timing?

We recently ordered a Cayenne S and were told that the car is in September production. How long does it typically take to build the car... and ship it over? My dealer was a bit surprised that it made September so it may end up being October production. Are these cars backlogged or are the production lines pretty open? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2003, 03:49 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

based on what others have written, if they got you a September slot they mean it, unless you have something on the order which is in short supply.

I would expect it at the end of October if it is not in short supply (i.e. wheels, air suspension, entry and drive etc).

What have you ordered ?
Old 09-22-2003, 03:56 PM
BenLee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I didn't order many options on the Cayenne.

The list is pretty short:

Titanium metallic
Black interior
Xenon lights
19" wheels
Moonroof
Sun shades

That's all! It's pretty basic, just like my wife's 996 C2. The dealer originally told me 4-5 months based on October production. What do you think?

Thanks
Ben
Old 09-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts
Default BenLee, your Cayenne should arrive...

...3 to 6 weeks after it starts production.

Since you mentioned bixenon lights, I guess it's an S. I STRONGLY suggest you order it with the air-suspension system. It'll ride lots nicer and be more versatile.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Jeffrey Behr
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 124 Posts

"Jeff,

Thanks for the advice. When I tested the air suspension, Sport was too stiff for a bumpy freeway but Normal seemed fine. So I decided not to go for the air suspension. However, I wasn't sure if Normal is the same setting/feeling as a Cayenne's standard suspension ride. Are you running 18, 19, or 20s?

I think it's too late to make any changes but I'm still interested in hearing your response.

Thanks
Ben"

My Turbo came with the standard 18s but I'm now running 245/45R20s. See http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...5&o=93&fpart=1 .

The Cayenne equipped with air suspension is SO versatile, with self leveling, variable ride height, etc., that I would have ordered it with a S. I leave mine set on Comfort and Low/normal. It rides VERY nicely and is almost low enough--I still wish the rear were about 1/4" to 1/2" lower. But some of my decreasing desire to lower it has to do with having slightly larger tires--30.4" OD instead of the stock 29" OD--doing a better job of visually filling the fender openings.

You could always change your order and receive it a month later.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Some additional info...

Your dealer will be the best place for info, but here are a few more pieces of info.

Suncoast Porsche use to have a boat schedule on their website. I just checked and they haven't updated since July. However, your dealer will know what day 1) your car was built (usually one day) and 2) what day it was put on the boat. Here are some helpful codes that can be found at 986faq.com.

ACKNWL Order acknowledged by PCNA
ACPORD Order accepted by PCNA
MFGCNF Assigned a Production Number
PLPROD Vehicle is Planned for Production
PROD Vehicle in Production
CMPPRD Vehicle Completed Production
PRDLST Factory Last Checkpoint
IMPINV Vehicle Complete and Invoiced
ONVESL On Vessel
IMPPRT Vehicle at U.S. Port
PDI Vehicle at Charleston PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection)
PDIFIN Vehicle Finished PDI
INVSHP Invoiced and Shipped to Dealer
DLRARR Arrived at Dealership

When I custom ordered my Boxster S, my build day was April 20 and I took delivery on May 31. This was before the San Diego port was open. You would have to be very fortunate to take delivery 3 weeks after your build day as this would mean that you were one of the last on the boat (it can take days to load a boat) and PDI was a breeze.

Good luck. I'll being going through this again in January.

Quick Reply: What does a September production car mean for delivery timing?