Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUN 545I or Cayenne s

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003 | 02:24 PM
motopup
AutoX

Default FUN 545I or Cayenne s

Having trouble with decision. This will be my only vehicle. My daily driver. I have 2 dogs. Can't buy a 911 because of the size. Narowed choices to Cayenne S with tip or new BMW 545. Want to have fun
Old 09-21-2003 | 03:37 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Get the M5 then! Thats a lot of fun! other wise, that is quit a hard choice, you have to consider what kind of driving your going to do. if your not going to be really doing any offroading or hauling or pulling, then get the Beemer.
post 200, hmm...
~Eyal
Old 09-21-2003 | 06:18 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

How can a sedan be called fun ? everyone's old man has a 5 series, boring, bad wanabe image, get the S, now thats FUN !!!!!

Boy this thread is going to be hot
Old 09-21-2003 | 07:17 PM
DanP
Instructor

C'mon, a 540i is about as good as it gets (owned one). An M5 must be fantastic.

The next gen has got to be incredible!

Having said that, this would be for a grown man with 2 dogs...
Old 09-22-2003 | 04:47 AM
camcayenne
Advanced

Audi RS6 if you want a fast estate with space for the dogs, cayenne idyou want and sUV
Old 09-22-2003 | 08:36 AM
TheBishop
Intermediate

Tricky,
Drive them, with & without the dogs, then decide, recommend air susp. on the Cayenne tho'.

TB
Old 09-22-2003 | 09:12 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

Motopup, I went through the same agonizing decision in July, only my choice was between the Cayenne S or an '04 MB E-500 4-matic due to my need of four wheel drive. This too would be my daily driver, though not my only car. Firstly I've owned three BMW's before and think they're great cars. Their handling is simply beyond reproach. I've seen the new 5 series in person and I don't mind the way it looks at all...much, much better than the 7 series. However, BMW did carry over a "simplified" version of the i drive system. I personally think i drive is a joke and that it simply change for the sake of change. It has no business in a driver's car. I have no doubt it will be a great car though. I simply love my Cayenne. I have 2500 miles on mine now with no troubles at all (knock on wood). The sound of that V8 gives me goosebumps every time I dip into the loud pedal. Whoever tuned the exhaust system should be given a medal. The engine is also pure sculpture visually. It's a rush every time I pop the hood. I think the interior is terrific...roomy, confortable and with the black leather I have combined with the sport aluminum package, quite sporty. The exterior may not be Porsche's best effort, but in good colors, mine's basalt black, with the larger rims, 19's or 20's, the Cayenne's looks grow on me each day and I think it looks classy and understated. The general public seems to like it. I can't pull into a parking lot or pump gas without a positive comment. Performance wise, it's impressive for such a large, heavy vehicle. Around town, it won't be the BMW, physics is physics and weight is the enemy of spritely handling, but on the open road this thing really excels. It's a beast on the highway with a beautifully controlled ride with no body roll and beautifully weighted steering. I would say though that the air suspension is an absolute must have along with the variable assist power steering. I was not looking for the air suspension originally but took a vehicle that had it ang I'm reaaly glad I held out for it...it's a must have. To rap this long post up, go for the Cayenne especially if you have the two dogs...you will not regret it. It's an awesome everyday vehicle that I appreciate more everytime I turn the key, besides BMW's suck in the snow and rain anyway...
Old 09-22-2003 | 11:25 AM
Scott in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

When the new Bimmer hits your dealers lot go drive it back to back with the Cayenne S. After that you should know what you want. The new Bimmer is supposed to be a very nice car but for me the Cayenne S is the ticket. A porsche you can drive every day and still put your kid in the back seat with saftey and room for all the other stuff of a day to day driver. Plus the S is FUN to drive. It puts a smile on my face daily.
Old 09-22-2003 | 12:39 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

The new 5 drives awesome. Your dealer probably has the new 530i on the lot now. Drive one w/the sport package and you will be very impressed.
Old 09-22-2003 | 12:42 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Get rid of the dogs & get a 911.
Old 09-22-2003 | 02:21 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Only someone from Yorkshire !
Old 09-22-2003 | 10:11 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Johnfm that's EXACTLY what I was going to say but you beat me to it. And if they were cats.... well there wouldn't be any question would there?
Old 09-22-2003 | 10:36 PM
motopup
AutoX

Default re: my fortunate dilemma

Drove the Cayenne S/ Loads of fun. I already have a 530I that I'm trading in. By the way I don't do any offroading. Thanks everybody. (Bottom line is the dogs rule)

Quick Reply: FUN 545I or Cayenne s