Sponsored by:

What about a racing series?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 08:47 AM
TheBishop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What about a racing series?

I notice from the sunday papers here in the UK Range Rover are to build a sporty version to take on the Cayenne.
With BMW updating the X5 and new products from Masarati & others what chance a racing series?
Truck racing took of big time & then died back, is time to start SUV racing?

TB
Old 09-22-2003, 10:03 AM
GM Austin
Pro

I thought truck racing was just silly and juvenile. So, should we go SUV racing? Absolutely! I am just as silly and juvenile as the next guy. : )
Old 09-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Wahoogie
Racer

I've always thought someone should put a cayenne in the baja or something similar! It's a new avenue for Porsche, I think they should embrace it!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:04 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

I personally would be very dissappointed to not see one in next year's Paris-Dakar.

I think that would really show off the Cayenne's virtues, and with the X5 dominating like it did, the Cayenne, if reliable, would be a shoe in for victory.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:08 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Paul,
I am afraid you are going to be disappointed. VW are entering a team but the only way a Cayenne is going to be entered is via a private team. The Cayenne a shoe in for victory. They will have a long way to go to catch up with the top Paris-Dakar teams. X5 dominated what? An X5 did not win the Paris-Dakar it was a Mitsubishi Pajero.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 09-26-2003, 09:30 AM
TheBishop
Intermediate

Adrian,
I'd heard they wouldn't be on the Paris Dakar - but not that VW would. Frankly that amazes me, I find it hard to reconcile Porsches attitude to racing with the companies heritage - that it is so keen to link too.

Seems that one make racing (Super cup) is ok, but racing against other people doesn't get the same support.

Still think it would be nice to see a gaggle of Cayennes barreling through Eau Rouge with the X5's and RR's wallowing behind!

TB
Old 09-26-2003, 01:44 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear TB,
The Supercup is okay because all the cars and expertise is sold to customers. It is making money. The new GT-3RSR is expected to further increase Porsche motorsports sales. The Cayenne could not be sold in the numbers required just for one race.
VW have a full fledged factory racing program.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 09-26-2003, 06:05 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: What about a racing series?

Originally posted by TheBishop
I notice from the sunday papers here in the UK Range Rover are to build a sporty version to take on the Cayenne.
With BMW updating the X5 and new products from Masarati & others what chance a racing series?
TB
If this comes to be; then PAG will have created an entire new stream of high priced SUVs; the jury is still out, whether this will have an appeal broad enough to support the products.

It should be good for current owners resales & values. It's not good to be the most expensive on the block.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:42 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Adrian, you are dead on. Getting Porsche to go racing these days is like trying to get my little girl out of the bathtub - damn hard to do. Damn shame the beancounters are running the show down at Porsche Inc.

Quick Reply: What about a racing series?