Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Where do you buy tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:47 PM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Where do you buy tires?

I need to buy tire and the last time I bought tires for painted rims two were scratched and it was $180 each to repaint them as well as the pain in the butt. I havent asked the dealer for a price. I just figured it would be a lot more than any place else. I am thinking about buying tires from Pep Boys or Discount tire. Do those kinda places usually get the tires on with out damaging/ scratching the rims?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:16 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Take geo-tagged and timestamped pics at the shop that shows the state of the rims before, then they can't pull the usual "they came in like that" BS.

I usually have my Indy do it as their labor for it is on par with the tire shops, they don't inflate the price of the tires (e.g. same price I would get ordering them online), and they aren't staffed with high school kids that are pissed daddy is making them earn their own money.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:20 PM
genebopp
Advanced

lol, that is exactly what I was thinking..... and I used the high school kid that put tires on at Sears.....I think I did a good job once... I worked there for 3 years.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:26 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

My wheels are nowhere near mint, so I doubt if I'd notice a new scratch. With any chain store, some are great and some are poor with most somewhere inbetween. I found a shop that stands behind their work and treats the customer right no matter what. Can't say that about my dealership.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:21 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Discount Tire only. Ever.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:20 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Why leave out local tire retailers? I've been buying my tires at Big-O stores for years; they're locally owned vs. cookie cutter corporate stores. They've always beaten the local competition on pricing and I've always had good after-sale service.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Local if possible and reasonably priced.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:31 AM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the best price online, take it to Discount, and they match it and usually beat the price by a little.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Where do you buy tires?

TireRack through Indy for CTT, Town Fair Tire all other cars.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:09 AM
BE455
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see in the poll results that "Dealer" is still at zero. If that numbers goes up, someone needs to learn a little something.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:38 AM
ent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a huge fan of Discount Tire. They match and beat any price I bring in and do all the extras without batting an eye. I've averaged one set of tires a year with them since we moved to AZ in 2007.

I recently bought a set of Victor Equipment wheels (from Discount Tire Direct on eBay) and brought them to Discount Tire to mount new Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus tires which they ordered for me. They took the TPMS sensors out of the old wheel/tire combo, installed the new wheels and tires, mounted the old tires back on the OEM wheels with new valve stems, bagged the old ones up and put them in the Cayenne for me. I asked them what the best way to keep the old tires and wheels would be so that I can have them ready to go when I inevitably sell the Cayenne and this was their suggestion. All at no extra charge (and actually discount) relative to Tire Rack prices.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:41 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

In Atlanta, I use my local Kaufmann Tire, even though I have a wholesale account with TireRack. I was just buying from Tire Rack and having them install, but over the years have switched to paying a little more for the tires from them also, as they normally mount and balance my race tires for my race car for me for next to nothing and take really good care of me and my customers, who I send to them for work occassionally.
Had a nail in the tire of our Cayenne the other day and my wife took it in, and they immediately knew who she was and put her in the front of the line and fixed it for free.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
In Atlanta, I use my local Kaufmann Tire, even though I have a wholesale account with TireRack. I was just buying from Tire Rack and having them install, but over the years have switched to paying a little more for the tires from them also, as they normally mount and balance my race tires for my race car for me for next to nothing and take really good care of me and my customers, who I send to them for work occassionally.
Had a nail in the tire of our Cayenne the other day and my wife took it in, and they immediately knew who she was and put her in the front of the line and fixed it for free.
Isn't it amazing what a difference good customer service makes - something I find lacking much of the time.....
Old 08-15-2015, 06:39 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sonnen will let you buy from Tire Rack and deliver directly to them, whereupon they will install the tires for you - $25 bucks a wheel to install and balance. The local Land Rover dealer does the same. No stress.

Our local tire retailers make you sign a waiver absolving them of responsibility for repairing wheels they trash - no thanks!
Old 08-16-2015, 04:33 PM
phojes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My local Porsche dealer came within $10 of Tire Rack prices on a pair of Michelin Latitude Sports (295/35, 21's) last week, so he earned my business

Quick Reply: Where do you buy tires?