Cayenne S (V8 vs. V6T)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 03:44 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Cayenne S (V8 vs. V6T)

Hi all,

Curious to know how does the new V6T compare to old gen V8? I know performance-wise (on paper) it's a slight step-up with better fuel economy... but what about in the real world?

Has the MPG improvement been that impressive for ones who moved from V8 to V6T? What about performance in real-life, like passing maneuvers, city lower speed drivability, and overall handling?

Last, what about the engine noise, and smoothness? Is the new one as enjoyable as the growl of V8 engine and just as smooth?

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2015, 02:47 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about fuel economy because I always have my foot in it. I love mine. Slight lag but otherwise pulls like crazy. The flat torque curve is like having a Diesel that doesn't stop revving.
On trip to SD speed limit 85. Pass Semi Truck by the time I clear him I'm doing 130!
Around town I'm getting about 16 mpg compared to my 2010 4 Runner which would get 17.
Who cares it's so much more fun. Mine has Air susp,PDCC,PTV so it handles fantastic. No it is not the same as my 911 but it is amazing for a SUV.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Do you own the previous V8 as comparison?
Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Originally Posted by alexb76
Thanks. Do you own the previous V8 as comparison?
No but I test drove all the 2014 versions base,s,turbo before I ordered. I did not test a Diesel.
I also tested with and without PDCC and PTV. I also tested all three audio systems.
I basically drove the dealer crazy. But I have to say they were excellent. I even test drove a 458 Italia.
I drove both Macan's as well so I had a good idea of how the V6T would respond.
If your dealer won't treat you like mine did fine another.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:34 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
No but I test drove all the 2014 versions base,s,turbo before I ordered. I did not test a Diesel.
I also tested with and without PDCC and PTV. I also tested all three audio systems.
I basically drove the dealer crazy. But I have to say they were excellent. I even test drove a 458 Italia.
I drove both Macan's as well so I had a good idea of how the V6T would respond.
If your dealer won't treat you like mine did fine another.
Thanks, I only have one local dealer and they're dinks and have very limited demo models!

How was the car without PDCC, PTV vs. with?
Old 07-23-2015, 09:50 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, I only have one local dealer and they're dinks and have very limited demo models!

I think Langley has a dealership now.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:43 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

The PTV was subtle. I actually noticed a difference on slow quick corners.
It made the car appear to have a tighter turning radius. At speed it probably makes a difference but is harder to detect.
The PDCC is very noticeable I almost rolled the car that didn't have it after driving the one that did. I had to take the PDCC car out a second time just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Even if you are not an aggressive driver I would spend the money for PDCC just for the safety aspect.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:26 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Alex,I had an '08 Touareg w the Audi 4.2 V8. Very nice sound, nice get up and go. I have driven several Cayennes including an S, but not the new V6 turbo. I recently bought a Cayenne diesel and love it. It doesn't sound cool (very quiet even for a diesel) but it sure sips fuel. After 700+ miles, we avg 21mpg in town, and 30.4mpg hwy doing 80! And it pulls our 5500# boat very nicely. We were going to buy a '14 VW Tdi Touareg but we like the looks of the CD better inside and out. Plus, Porsche offers options not avail on VW. GL
Old 07-28-2015, 02:58 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I think that a good post would be from someone that had a good drive habit (i.e. long ownership of a Cayenne S) ..that now got a V6T !
I would also love to read such post !!!
If any does, could you chime in and expose feelings !

I do have 110k miles experience with a Cayenne S (air suspension), ..but REFUSED, even thinking about, to replace it with a 6T !
(Not finding a nice GTS to our choices, we got a CTT ! (went for a second hand CTT CPO rather than a new S !!! (Hello Porsche Marketing, are you here, reading ?)
Sure, yes, it pulls, you really feel the 340 to 500 ponies differences, and the brakes are just incredible.
..But that s not the question !!
By the way, I miss BIG TIME the low gear transfer box. So important when you tow.

(The problem I have with the CTT is the air suspension: I feel that ..it is very rough, compare to our previous one. And, the differences between the 3 modes are ..ZERO.)
It may be the tires, I have Conti "mix" so even by lowering pressure, imo they remain "tires made with wood, not with the juice of them".
I will change them, and see if. that it is the real reason.)
Old 07-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I have owned the V8 CS for almost 11 years and when I test drove the new V6 CS, I did not care for the way the new engine responded especially when it came to the low end torque. There is a distinct difference between the two and unfortunately I am not expert enough to explain it in more details. I just couldn't justify the 10+ K surcharge for the new "S" therefore I ended up buying the agile base Cayenne and I am very happy about my decision. I just wish I had waited and ordered the PASM for more sportier suspension. Oh well...

Regards,
Sam
Old 07-28-2015, 03:38 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
I think that a good post would be from someone that had a good drive habit (i.e. long ownership of a Cayenne S) ..that now got a V6T !
I would also love to read such post !!!
If any does, could you chime in and expose feelings !

I do have 110k miles experience with a Cayenne S (air suspension), ..but REFUSED, even thinking about, to replace it with a 6T !
(Not finding a nice GTS to our choices, we got a CTT ! (went for a second hand CTT CPO rather than a new S !!! (Hello Porsche Marketing, are you here, reading ?)
Sure, yes, it pulls, you really feel the 340 to 500 ponies differences, and the brakes are just incredible.
..But that s not the question !!
By the way, I miss BIG TIME the low gear transfer box. So important when you tow.

(The problem I have with the CTT is the air suspension: I feel that ..it is very rough, compare to our previous one. And, the differences between the 3 modes are ..ZERO.)
It may be the tires, I have Conti "mix" so even by lowering pressure, imo they remain "tires made with wood, not with the juice of them".
I will change them, and see if. that it is the real reason.)
Interesting. Btw, how did the Air Suspension held up? Any reliability issues?
Old 07-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had no issues with the air suspension until last week after 150K miles when the self leveling control module broke down. Unplugged and sent for a repair @ $210...hopefully that will solve the problem...keeping fingers crossed.

I agree with GVA-SFO that the ride quality is rougher (or sportier) with the air suspension but I had no trouble noticing the difference among the 3 settings, comfort, standard and sport modes. I used the comfort setting most of the time when we traveled with no complaints from my wife( who drives the floating Honda Pilot) or kids.

Regards,
Sam
Old 07-29-2015, 04:54 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

zero problem at all over the 110kmiles
Old 07-29-2015, 04:01 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
I agree with GVA-SFO that the ride quality is rougher (or sportier) with the air suspension but I had no trouble noticing the difference among the 3 settings, comfort, standard and sport modes.

Regards,
Sam
I think we misundertood:
Imo, air suspension give a much comfier ride, particularly in Comfort mode, this beside keeping allways the car to a flat level, whatever you tow or how you take curves.
My current problem with our CTT is that it is always rough as if it would have a "normal" suspension ! (recently, I did few hundred miles with a CD (base, no air suspension) and felt that it was quite rough.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
I think we misundertood:
Imo, air suspension give a much comfier ride, particularly in Comfort mode, this beside keeping allways the car to a flat level, whatever you tow or how you take curves.
My current problem with our CTT is that it is always rough as if it would have a "normal" suspension ! (recently, I did few hundred miles with a CD (base, no air suspension) and felt that it was quite rough.
What's your wheel size vs. the old car? Also tires make a big difference.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S (V8 vs. V6T)