Sponsored by:

2006 Cayenne TT (E81) - More power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:28 PM
tcfs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I wasn't in any way calling you a poser. But if you already have e81.. then you are looking at hardware mods with software to go to the next level. My comment about a sprint booster is that it will make the car feel more responsive and aggressive. Since the barrier to entry to get to a higher power bracket will take real money.
Sorry, I know you were not calling me that. I just wanted to make it clear on my part that I have a ctt not a ctts but would like the available HP the car is capable of. At the same time I probably would never use it but would be nice to have at hand if that makes sense.

Again I am sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:28 PM
tcfs
Advanced

I don't have the E81 package unfortunately.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:57 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Software alone will probably give you the same power as a E81 or CTTS, just that it won't last (power that is) for long pulls or heavy fast driving, that is where the larger Intercoolers will come into play keeping the charge cooler/denser after sustained boost and higher temps. I think a tune with Secondary Cat removal will make you very happy, at least 50bhp + power gain from just about every reputable tuner for the CTT.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:08 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
I think a tune with Secondary Cat removal will make you very happy.
Save the money, skip the tune (it's too incremental on a E81/CTTS), and just do the secondary cat bypass pipes. Don't forget to consider upgraded diverter valves to hold your boost, though. That's really all that needed on these for 99% of daily driving.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:16 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Spooltime, he was asking about the E81 kit but doesn't have it, just a stock CTT.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:43 PM
tcfs
Advanced

Thanks, that's probably where I'll start spooltime. I was getting caught up in the tune side of it when I should have been thinking of the basics. Also thanks with the help and info on the ctts upgrade.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Software alone will probably give you the same power as a E81 or CTTS, just that it won't last (power that is) for long pulls or heavy fast driving, that is where the larger Intercoolers will come into play keeping the charge cooler/denser after sustained boost and higher temps. I think a tune with Secondary Cat removal will make you very happy, at least 50bhp + power gain from just about every reputable tuner for the CTT.
I`d agree with this

A remap will get you the extra power you desire, if its only for an occasional short burst (like you described) then this is all you require, for extended runs the larger intercoolers prevent "heat soak" by keeping the air going into the engine cool and dense

I used to run high HP jetskis and they were pretty much the same (except they use water to keep the intercoolers cold) - extended runs would cause heat soak and the only way around that was larger more efficient intercoolers.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:17 PM
tcfs
Advanced

This is my first turbo vehicle so I am taking in a lot of information, I am not rich and a small business owner, with that said. I do own a 06 Boxster S I bought new and know the attention to service a Porsche needs. The ctt was a vehicle I have wanted for some time now. Now that I have a used 05 ctt I want to enjoy it but the same time slowly stout it up a bit with out breaking the bank in one shot. That's why I had thought the flag on the ECU might be a good initial mod.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:18 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

No need for diverter valves. The 710 unit on the CTT will reliably hold 25 PSI. That's far more boost than any CTT will ever make on stock turbos. It's the DV that the Audi guys have been using in tuned motors for years, myself included.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:50 PM
tcfs
Advanced

I think I'm going to do the secondary cat bypass and maybe a free flow exhaust, does it need the back pressure for this engine?
I have Continental extreme contact DWS tires on it, are these a good tire as I do drive in the snow?
Old 08-10-2015, 06:49 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Turbo engines make the best power with zero back pressure. It's why you often see big power turbo cars with open dumps (turbine venting right to atmosphere without going through exhaust). NA engines need exhaust to maintain the exhaust pulse.

DWS tires will get you around just fine in the winter if you're mostly in the IL area (and not a mountainous state like CO or MT). You won't be any safer than anyone else on the road that is driving on all season tires, but you won't be getting stuck in parking lots or a few inches of snow like some FWD cars would. I am finding that snow tires save money. My DMV1's had barely any where after 7K miles of a mild winter in Denver. My new DWS06 tires (new version of DWS) are wearing quite a bit faster.

Everyone has a different opinion on tires for winter. The Cayenne is heavy enough that you'll get from point A to point B in almost any weather that IL can throw at you. How safe you feel doing so will be a question only you can answer. I wouldn't drive in the snow with less than 5/32 tread, though. Wait till it snows and give it a go to see how you feel. If you want more traction for braking and cornering when the roads are crap, then get some snows. If you find that you're comfortable with the performance from the DWS - then keep them on. More than a few people run that tire year round in areas that see snow.

If you want to free up power by swapping out parts after the turbo, get some down pipes with high flowing cats. The secondary cat delete is more of a sound mod. Nothing further downstream from that is going to net you much, if any power. Turbo cars don't often gain tons of power with a different exhaust system, especially with a stock motor.

Downpipes for power, secondary cat delete for sound.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:55 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You only have to slide through one intersection to realize what real snow tires can do compared to all-seasons.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 PM
tcfs
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Turbo engines make the best power with zero back pressure. It's why you often see big power turbo cars with open dumps (turbine venting right to atmosphere without going through exhaust). NA engines need exhaust to maintain the exhaust pulse. DWS tires will get you around just fine in the winter if you're mostly in the IL area (and not a mountainous state like CO or MT). You won't be any safer than anyone else on the road that is driving on all season tires, but you won't be getting stuck in parking lots or a few inches of snow like some FWD cars would. I am finding that snow tires save money. My DMV1's had barely any where after 7K miles of a mild winter in Denver. My new DWS06 tires (new version of DWS) are wearing quite a bit faster. Everyone has a different opinion on tires for winter. The Cayenne is heavy enough that you'll get from point A to point B in almost any weather that IL can throw at you. How safe you feel doing so will be a question only you can answer. I wouldn't drive in the snow with less than 5/32 tread, though. Wait till it snows and give it a go to see how you feel. If you want more traction for braking and cornering when the roads are crap, then get some snows. If you find that you're comfortable with the performance from the DWS - then keep them on. More than a few people run that tire year round in areas that see snow. If you want to free up power by swapping out parts after the turbo, get some down pipes with high flowing cats. The secondary cat delete is more of a sound mod. Nothing further downstream from that is going to net you much, if any power. Turbo cars don't often gain tons of power with a different exhaust system, especially with a stock motor. Downpipes for power, secondary cat delete for sound.
That helps a bunch wrinkledpants, I'll look into some hi-flow cats and start there, not looking for just sound. If I'm going to spend money I want to put it where it counts. Where I live there are no emissions testing so I just have to make sure I don't aggravate the ECU.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

As I said, cheapest power increase for you is the tune, like any Turbo car. The Secondary Cat delete will get you better sound and a slightly better spool up. Downpipes would be better but I didn't recommend them as they are more expensive and expensive to install (read...difficult/time consuming).
One thing I would say is: to make sure you have all of the Cayenne's reliability issues taken care of (plastic coolant pipes, good Cardan shaft (driveshaft), upper engine torque mount, fresh fluid in both differentials, transfer case, transmission). All of these are good for the long term that I would do before adding power.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:57 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As I said, cheapest power increase for you is the tune, like any Turbo car. The Secondary Cat delete will get you better sound and a slightly better spool up. Downpipes would be better but I didn't recommend them as they are more expensive and expensive to install (read...difficult/time consuming).
One thing I would say is: to make sure you have all of the Cayenne's reliability issues taken care of (plastic coolant pipes, good Cardan shaft (driveshaft), upper engine torque mount, fresh fluid in both differentials, transfer case, transmission). All of these are good for the long term that I would do before adding power.
Agree with this 100%

Quick Reply: 2006 Cayenne TT (E81) - More power?