Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting A Cayenne Key Fob Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 03:11 PM
helpmeobi
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting A Cayenne Key Fob Replacement?

Hello Rennlist,

I lost a friend's key fob, and the closest dealership is about 2 hours away. The closest automotive locksmith is about 3 hours away. Is there any way to get a key programmed somewhere else? This was the only copy, so otherwise I would have to pay for towing to the nearest dealership. It is for a Porsche Cayenne 2009 which seems difficult to get a replacement from the calls I've made. Can other dealerships program keys from a different manufacturer? Could I go to a German car dealership like VW or Mercedes-Benz?
Old 06-26-2015, 03:33 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

I think it has to be programmed by a porsche dealer and its going to cost you around $350-$400 total...half for key, half for programming.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:10 AM
puunda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not done it with my Cayenne yet, but I have done it with an Audi Allroad/A6
I had to purchase the blade (with a chip) and the remote fob seperately. Both from eBay.
Had a locksmith cut the key, but not program it.
I used a VAG Commander (about $20 from China) and was able to program the key. Only problem is the software is bad and hard to use and only runs on Windows XP, but it's the cheapest option. VAG Commander can also program Cayenne keys, although I've never tried it.
I'm now using the Chinese FVDI (AVDI clone), and that too is able to program Cayenne keys ... but they are over $600.
So if you want to to put up with Windows XP, then I suggest getting the VAG Commander (mine was version 1.4).
Althought it worked on my Audi, and it's listed as capable of programming a Cayenne, I've never tried it, so use at your own risk.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:40 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't think it's quite that expensive, but you do need someone with the dealer PIWIS 2 tool to code the key, that is the Porsche tool. They'll actually recode both keys. It's not a full hour's labor, can probably be done in 15 minutes plus or minus by someone experienced with PIWIS. So you might ask the dealer for a little mercy on the labor.

FWIW, there was a bug with the PIWIS 1 tool that it would not code two keys for Cayennes, not a problem for other models.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:31 AM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had this done last week. The 955 key was $180 from Sonnen Porsche pre cut to your vin. My local Porsche dealer charged me 1/2 hr labour at $77 to program the new key.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:22 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

The above points are all correct. Bottom line, order the key from a dealer, they will deliver it cut to spec. Then, the car and ALL keys must be taken to a dealer for programming (or a shop with PIWIS).

Cost will be $250-$350 depending on where you order the fob from and what the dealer will charge.

This process is very similar to all other modern cars, so don't feel like Porsche is making it more challenging than the others. The only real challenge that Porsche adds is that dealers are less abundant.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:01 AM
Darien
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 111 Posts

Any update...1 post asking how to get a key for a car...hmmm

Originally Posted by helpmeobi
Hello Rennlist,

I lost a friend's key fob, and the closest dealership is about 2 hours away. The closest automotive locksmith is about 3 hours away. Is there any way to get a key programmed somewhere else? This was the only copy, so otherwise I would have to pay for towing to the nearest dealership. It is for a Porsche Cayenne 2009 which seems difficult to get a replacement from the calls I've made. Can other dealerships program keys from a different manufacturer? Could I go to a German car dealership like VW or Mercedes-Benz?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:53 AM
helpmeobi
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I read about someone using Triple A's service that offers free towing up to 100 miles on their plus membership. Does anyone know anything about it, or is able to help me locate where I read it? I completely lost the source. Would this qualify under their towing policy if I registered for a plus or higher membership?
Old 07-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

AAA offers premium memberships to existing members that gets you to the 100 mile towing. I do not think that you can start out with the premium membership (AAA Plus, AAA Premier). Check out their website as this seems to differ by state.

Quick Reply: Getting A Cayenne Key Fob Replacement?