Sponsored by:

Bike/Ski Rack Options for No Roof Rack Cars

Old 06-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bike/Ski Rack Options for No Roof Rack Cars

Hi guys,

We put a deposit down for a decently equipped CPO 2012 Cayenne. Only thing I realize it doesn't have are the roof rails which cannot be retrofitted (kind of bizarre an SUV doesn't come standard with them).

So i'm looking to hear (preferably see!) what options are available out there for hauling skis and bikes (not at the same time) on your non-factory roof railed cars.

Pics would be great! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it has a hitch, that is the easiest way to add a bike carrier.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:02 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is possible to add a hitch but not roof rails. Suncoast has Porsche hitch for sale but to complete install car need to be programed by dealer. Maybe not necessary if you just want to use hitch only for bike and skies and not towing.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:13 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

Hitch carrier. I have one for sale in case you're interested. It doesn't carry skis though.

Like this:
http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo...artnum=SFDURA2
Old 06-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! How difficult is it to add a hitch and how does the car look installed?
Old 06-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Thanks guys! How difficult is it to add a hitch and how does the car look installed?
Pics anyone?? I found this hitch system at Suncoast. Is this the only option and how much should it cost to install?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...de=958V6MERTOW

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2015, 10:52 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a Kuat hitch rack.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
I use a Kuat hitch rack.

Wow. That hitch rack is hardcore. We also have some of those roads here in NYC.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:09 PM
BE455
Advanced

Pics anyone?? I found this hitch system at Suncoast. Is this the only option and how much should it cost to install?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...de=958V6MERTOW

Thanks!
That's not the only option, but it's definitely the best option. That is the OEM hitch. There are cheaper aftermarket alternatives (like Uhaul), but likely you're not looking at the same tow capacity and quality. It's unfortunate, but it costs a bunch to get installed by dealer. At least a grand in labor... huge variability amongst different dealers for this though, so hunt around a bit. Or even better, maybe can negotiate something in with your current sale. Ultimately, I found a CPO with the hitch option from the factory, but had looked at a few others missing the hitch before this, and was able to work out something with the dealer for pricing of install post-sale. It's not really a DIY either b/c there's programming that will be needed afterwards to enable the various towing features (i.e. enable trailer turn signal lights, disable backup sensors when trailer hooked up, disable lane change assist when under tow).

On a positive note, assuming you're looking at a 958, as I understand it the SUV is already pre-wired from the factory, even if the hitch itself isn't there.

Good luck
Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BE455
That's not the only option, but it's definitely the best option. That is the OEM hitch. There are cheaper aftermarket alternatives (like Uhaul), but likely you're not looking at the same tow capacity and quality. It's unfortunate, but it costs a bunch to get installed by dealer. At least a grand in labor... huge variability amongst different dealers for this though, so hunt around a bit. Or even better, maybe can negotiate something in with your current sale. Ultimately, I found a CPO with the hitch option from the factory, but had looked at a few others missing the hitch before this, and was able to work out something with the dealer for pricing of install post-sale. It's not really a DIY either b/c there's programming that will be needed afterwards to enable the various towing features (i.e. enable trailer turn signal lights, disable backup sensors when trailer hooked up, disable lane change assist when under tow).

On a positive note, assuming you're looking at a 958, as I understand it the SUV is already pre-wired from the factory, even if the hitch itself isn't there.

Good luck
That was very helpful. Thanks! Yes...it is a 958 (2012) we will be picking up and I was thinking of seeing what they can do for me in terms of installing the hitch. Do you use the hitch for bikes/skis or something else?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2015, 10:35 PM
BE455
Advanced

That was very helpful. Thanks! Yes...it is a 958 (2012) we will be picking up and I was thinking of seeing what they can do for me in terms of installing the hitch. Do you use the hitch for bikes/skis or something else?

Thanks!
I tow my trailer / track car... but also have a Thule rack for our bikes, which also works great in the standard 2" hitch. For something as light as a bike rack or ski rack (Thule makes a hitch mount ski rack too), you may not need to spend the big bucks on the OEM hitch install, but if you are ever possibly going to tow a boat or trailer, in my mind it is a must.

Hopefully your dealer will work with you a bit on install cost.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:11 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a ski bag through the rear seat. Why would you want to put the skis on a rack outside? Unless you are taking 5 people in the car of course.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
There's a ski bag through the rear seat. Why would you want to put the skis on a rack outside? Unless you are taking 5 people in the car of course.
Ah ok! Good idea. This is my first foray in an SUV (and I don't have a pass-thru in my E46) so I never even considered transporting the skis IN the car.

A bike in the trunk may be a bit more tricky, esp. given the fact I have the Luxor Beige interior.

Do you guys use a rubber mat or similar in the trunk?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:01 PM
gadgetrex
Intermediate

I had a hitch installed on my 2012 CTT at Rack and Road. They claimed that the aftermarket hitch they installed ($500, including parts and labor) is the same as the OEM. I realize that you do not have R&R in NY, but you may be able to find a comparable dealer/installer nearby; maybe hitchking.com?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:11 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Thule roof rack that clamps down onto the roof/ door edge on my cayenne that does not have factory roof rails. Attachments available for ski or bikes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike/Ski Rack Options for No Roof Rack Cars