Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop told me my Cayenne front brake calipers are missing 996 dampers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:35 AM
Ehryk
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shop told me my Cayenne front brake calipers are missing 996 dampers...

I have had a very occasional clunking when transitioning into braking (just one quick one at the first transition) at times on the 2004 CTT. I brought it into a very reputable shop in Minneapolis, and they told me the suspension linkages were all tight and it was most likely the front brake calipers that are missing the caliper damper shims, and gave me the part number 99635108901... obviously a 996 part number.

While I do think they might fit in the holes in the calipers, it seems a bit odd to me. I did the brakes myself, and either all of these damper shims were missing or were never there to begin with. I looked up 955 parts diagrams and cannot find these damper shims anywhere.

Have any of you Cayenne drivers had these shims, or put them in?

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod38...-996GT3---997/
Old 06-02-2015, 06:55 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Shop told me my Cayenne front brake calipers are missing 996 dampers...

I would be willing to bet the dampers would fit. They adhere to the brake pads and clip into the caliper pistons. They are stupid expensive so most people don't replace them. Brakes work fine without them, but their purpose is to retain the pads better when you aren't apply brakes or are lightly braking, and thus reduce vibration and squeal.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Ehryk
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So should I put them in even though the Cayenne diagrams don't show them and I can't find a 955 part number?
Old 06-02-2015, 02:06 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Shop told me my Cayenne front brake calipers are missing 996 dampers...

Part numbers and models they go in don't have to match. I would let someone who knows what they are talking about, like marky522, advise whether or not cayennes usually have these installed.

If what you're talking about are the little things that stick to the back of the brake pads, and you are okay with the current level of noise, I wouldn't install them. Like I said they are pricey! But yeah get a second pro's opinion. I'm still new to cayennes but have had a 996 for 6 years now.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:54 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Cayennes don't use them at least not on the Turbos but they have weights on the pads themselves to dampen vibrations. Not the big chunks of metal like the 993's and 996's. Most quality aftermarket pads have them too, at least my old Hawks and my present EBC Yellows do.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:43 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehryk
I have had a very occasional clunking when transitioning into braking (just one quick one at the first transition) at times on the 2004 CTT. I brought it into a very reputable shop in Minneapolis, and they told me the suspension linkages were all tight and it was most likely the front brake calipers that are missing the caliper damper shims, and gave me the part number 99635108901... obviously a 996 part number.

While I do think they might fit in the holes in the calipers, it seems a bit odd to me. I did the brakes myself, and either all of these damper shims were missing or were never there to begin with. I looked up 955 parts diagrams and cannot find these damper shims anywhere.

Have any of you Cayenne drivers had these shims, or put them in?

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod38...-996GT3---997/
Which pads did you put in?

Quick Reply: Shop told me my Cayenne front brake calipers are missing 996 dampers...