Sponsored by:

Towing with your Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:57 AM
turbosporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with your Cayenne

Just wanted to get some insight on how many members tow with there cayenne. And if the are using an electric brake controller.

I only ask as I dumped my ram truck in lieu of a 13 CD which I lov. I have 2 track cars a spec boxser and a 930 I use a trailex trailer with electric power brakes and never had an issue with my truck . But everyone I talk with say don't bother with putting a controller on the cayenne.

Last night was first time I pulled the car and it was like it wasn't even there.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:40 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Depends on your states regulations. Usually a trailer over a certain weight requires brakes and one carrying a car is likely well over the limit.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:46 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

This has also been discussed in this RL thread...
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ggestions.html

And if I understand the OP question, it is regarding the Cayenne's need for a electric brake controller...

At this point, I think the answer is: "It depends on what series Cayenne you own". In that prior thread, most were talking about the E1 series Cayenne's (955-957). I own a 2012 958 & the dealership is telling me that the Cayenne itself does the voltage regulation to vary the signal (through the 7 pin connector) out to the trailers elec brakes,... thereby telling the trailer how much brake to apply.

I have YET to test this out, but plan to do so in the next couple weeks. My plan is to jack the trailer up (while connected to the Cayenne), Cayenne engine running,... and spin the trailer tires & while testing different foot pressure on my brake peddle. I should see a nice progression of trailer braking,... (& hopefully no lockup even on slight brake pressure).
Tell me if I'm "nutts" with this plan, or if it sounds logical.

@Turbosporsche - It's good to hear you've already successfully pulled your car trailer with your 2013 CD. I'm hoping my '12 CTT does the same.

=Steve
Old 04-02-2015, 01:14 PM
turbosporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bweSteve
This has also been discussed in this RL thread...
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ggestions.html

And if I understand the OP question, it is regarding the Cayenne's need for a electric brake controller...

At this point, I think the answer is: "It depends on what series Cayenne you own". In that prior thread, most were talking about the E1 series Cayenne's (955-957). I own a 2012 958 & the dealership is telling me that the Cayenne itself does the voltage regulation to vary the signal (through the 7 pin connector) out to the trailers elec brakes,... thereby telling the trailer how much brake to apply.

I have YET to test this out, but plan to do so in the next couple weeks. My plan is to jack the trailer up (while connected to the Cayenne), Cayenne engine running,... and spin the trailer tires & while testing different foot pressure on my brake peddle. I should see a nice progression of trailer braking,... (& hopefully no lockup even on slight brake pressure).
Tell me if I'm "nutts" with this plan, or if it sounds logical.

@Turbosporsche - It's good to hear you've already successfully pulled your car trailer with your 2013 CD. I'm hoping my '12 CTT does the same.

=Steve
I know the first gen cayenne need the controller. From what I read the factory tow hitch on the new ones has a controller in the trunk. I assume it's a built in brake controller.

As I was driving and testing the brakes with the car on it I felt no trailer push even in a corner .

What I'll do to test theory is unplug trailer with car on it an make some controlled stops. . I'll report back

Last edited by turbosporsche; 04-02-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-02-2015, 03:00 PM
BE455
Advanced

Fairly sure that's not correct. A brake controller is needed. The momentum of the tow vehicle (negative g's from braking) are what determine the variable output to the electric trailer brakes. You'll need a brake controller for this - the Cayenne has nothing built in that already does this. The suggestion above to do this stationary on jacks won't work. Some trucks have a built in brake controller, but they would have a manual switch to activate the brakes, and also some way to adjust intensity. The amount of boost you need for an empty trailer and and loaded trailer would be far different. If you ordered the CD with the tow package, there is a hitch receiver and pre-wiring, but no brake controller. The plug is buried below the steering column, and you'll need to build a wiring harness with 12v relay to connect it up. Look on etrailer.com for some how-to articles.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:40 PM
BE455
Advanced

Info on how to build wiring harness
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-09-0021-Tekonsha.aspx

Additional info
https://www.etrailer.com/question-70945.html

This is for a wired brake controller. The other option is the Tekonsha RF unit, which doesn't get hard wired in to the tow vehicle (it is physically attached to the trailer outside). People have issues with the pairing process (there is a remote for adjusting intensity and manually activating the brakes that is carried within the vehicle), but there are various workarounds online.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:34 PM
turbosporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BE455
Fairly sure that's not correct. A brake controller is needed. The momentum of the tow vehicle (negative g's from braking) are what determine the variable output to the electric trailer brakes. You'll need a brake controller for this - the Cayenne has nothing built in that already does this. The suggestion above to do this stationary on jacks won't work. Some trucks have a built in brake controller, but they would have a manual switch to activate the brakes, and also some way to adjust intensity. The amount of boost you need for an empty trailer and and loaded trailer would be far different. If you ordered the CD with the tow package, there is a hitch receiver and pre-wiring, but no brake controller. The plug is buried below the steering column, and you'll need to build a wiring harness with 12v relay to connect it up. Look on etrailer.com for some how-to articles.
On the way back from dropping my race car off I stepped on the brake and the gas pedal and was able to lock the trailer wheels. Either mine had some aftermarket tuning done or I'm just nuts. I understand what etrailer is sayin and that's probably true for first gens but I don't think on new ones. Also my ram truck if I had the trailer brake gain low and had a full load u could feel the trailer push the truck. U can't on the cayenne. The brakes can't be that much better. I think when u have the trailer hooked up it applies the coerect amount of brake.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:29 PM
BE455
Advanced

As I understand it, with no controller hooked up, you'll get max output every time you hit the pedal (12v) rather than the variable output that you'd have with a controller inline. That's why you were able to lock up so easily when you checked it.
Not saying you can't get by without the controller, but its not the best way to roll. Locking trailer wheels in the rain isn't always going to end pretty... for as much as we spend on mods, this project is a cheap one.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:56 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I tow a 24' enclosed trailer with a brake controller installed by the dealer.
Kind of funny, that I could park the tow vehicle inside the trailer ;-)
Very acceptable performance with my '13 CD.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:59 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

All great discussion. You guys have given a LOT of great info to consider.
My question now,... is this:

@ Turbosporsche :: But what kind of reaction do you get with LIGHT brake peddle pressure, with an empty trailer (at say 20 mph)??

I ask this, because I'm wondering if you really ARE getting the full 12v max signal out to the trailer.

Could the new Cayenne's build in some sort of variable voltage output based on how hard the driver is applying brake pressure? If so, then possibly that is giving Turbosporsche the sort of experience he is getting.

But EVEN if that is true,.. it does stand to reason that a EBrakeController (such as a Tekonsha P3) with a digital g-force sensor, would improve even a base level Cayenne system. BE455 makes some very good points (I certainly do NOT want to take risk towing my 964T).

{< Btw, poking around on net, found that even an example like a 2008 GMC Sierra 3500 (single rear wheel) with the Duramax and Allison tranny has a integrated trailer brake controller.
.... Is it too much to think that Porsche has done any semblance of homework on towing with Cayenne's over the past 3-4 yrs?? ie. 958's??
>}
=Steve
Old 04-03-2015, 02:48 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

If there is an integrated controller on newer cayennes, I would think it would be in the literature?
Old 04-03-2015, 03:59 PM
turbosporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bweSteve
All great discussion. You guys have given a LOT of great info to consider.
My question now,... is this:

@ Turbosporsche :: But what kind of reaction do you get with LIGHT brake peddle pressure, with an empty trailer (at say 20 mph)??

I ask this, because I'm wondering if you really ARE getting the full 12v max signal out to the trailer.

Could the new Cayenne's build in some sort of variable voltage output based on how hard the driver is applying brake pressure? If so, then possibly that is giving Turbosporsche the sort of experience he is getting.

But EVEN if that is true,.. it does stand to reason that a EBrakeController (such as a Tekonsha P3) with a digital g-force sensor, would improve even a base level Cayenne system. BE455 makes some very good points (I certainly do NOT want to take risk towing my 964T).

{< Btw, poking around on net, found that even an example like a 2008 GMC Sierra 3500 (single rear wheel) with the Duramax and Allison tranny has a integrated trailer brake controller.
.... Is it too much to think that Porsche has done any semblance of homework on towing with Cayenne's over the past 3-4 yrs?? ie. 958's??
>}
=Steve
So I think you are kinda right. There must be a built in brake controller into the computer. With the trailer unloaded and I slam the brakes I can lock the wheels. If I go easy it doesn't. When the car is on the trailer there is no sign of trailer push when hit the brakes hard. It must be tied into the brake pressure sensor that is built into the abs unit.

I've been towing for many years and have towed with several different cars trucks, dualies. ext. I think Porsche has put quite a bit of knowledge into this.

Not that I'm slamming etrailer but they are there to make money and sell parts. And I think Porsche might have slightly better knowledge then they do.

I agree the first gen cayennes definitely don't have this. But the new ones I think Do

I'll test the voltage output later to confirm.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:29 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

I tow with a Prodigy electronic brake controller. Works great.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:48 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosporsche
On the way back from dropping my race car off I stepped on the brake and the gas pedal and was able to lock the trailer wheels. Either mine had some aftermarket tuning done or I'm just nuts. I understand what etrailer is sayin and that's probably true for first gens but I don't think on new ones. Also my ram truck if I had the trailer brake gain low and had a full load u could feel the trailer push the truck. U can't on the cayenne. The brakes can't be that much better. I think when u have the trailer hooked up it applies the coerect amount of brake.
Does your trailer have surge brakes? Those work without input from a brake controller. Trailex does offer surge brakes as an option which you probably have.

As mentioned above, if equipped with the tow package, a 958 Cayenne has a wiring harness to plug a brake controller into. Otherwise there isn't one! There is a "towing control unit" but that is not a brake controller.

Get yourself a brake controller if you do not have surge brakes; I wouldn't listen to "everybody" that told you not to use one, unless those people all have surge brakes, too!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:22 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

I heard about this 2-wire harness under my dash (Dr side), so I took the plastic barrier off under there, but could not find it. I also heard that it might be plugged into a dummy receptacle, but since most of the wiring under there is wrapped with shielding, it is hard to tell.

My prior wakeboard boat trailer had surge brakes (built into the tongue). Is that the mechanism you are referring to?
{ Can a trailer even have both electric brakes AND surge? (confused by that) }

I'm just amazed that my dealer has zero knowledge about any of this.

I want to be on the safe side,... but if neither of my Indy, nor Dealer, have any knowledge nor experience, I'm on my own to connect it up.

Btw, yes I am assuming Turbosporsche (& my 958) came with factory tow hitch & wiring.
Personally I have only added the 7-pin adapter thus far.

Thanks for continuing the conversation!! I am very interested to hear if Turbosporsche could detect a variable voltage on one of the pins. But even if it does, it stills sounds like adding a eBrake Controller is still on tap.
=S

Quick Reply: Towing with your Cayenne