Sponsored by:

Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Road Trip

I just finished what wound up to be an 8,000 road trip with my wife and our rather large dog and I have to say my 2014 CD Platinum Edition was impressive. The best evidence I have is that my wife, who really doesn't like to do long trips, didn't complain at all. The 14-way seats with ventilation had a lot to do with that. We started PA to FL, then cross country to ID and WA and back through UT and CO on the way back east.

The diesel's torque was obvious as we ate up mountain passes while hardly ever downshifting and I was surprised at how quickly we approached 100 mph when passing on two lane roads. I didn't track mileage by fill-up but the computer almost always had me at over 30 mpg with the cruise set at 80 to 85 mph and sometimes more (who knew that Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho had 80 mph speed limits). We hit snow in the Rockies and that was also not an impediment.

For anybody that find themselves in the area, the driving segment that offered the most smiles is the stretch of Idaho 55 and U.S. 95 that runs north from Boise past Lewiston, Idaho. Following the Payette, Salmon, and Clearwater rivers you go from around a thousand feet to six thousand feet three times and get to slam your ride effortlessly through the corners while encountering very little traffic and even less law enforcement (zero law enforcement on this segment actually). Everybody should experience the White Bird hill south of Grangeville at least once.

The trip left me very immpressed with my Cayenne Diesel and I can definitely recommend it for any road trip you may plan.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:32 PM
snzuloz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great trip! Post up some pics of the scenery if you have some time.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:04 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm jealous, wish I had the time to take a trip like that. I particularly like how our diesel is going way faster at the top of a mountain pass than it was at the bottom. It does flatten the hills. How is the interior holding up with a large dog? We have a 20 pound dog, and we really keep her off the seats with a mutt mat, or she sits on someones lap.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Our dog is 75 pounds so I too was concerned about the back seat. I use a light moving blanket to cover the seat with folded towels to even out the seat bolsters a bit. To hold it in place I push it between seat bottom and back and in the front I clip it to the seat adjustment rod using clothespins. Worked pretty well. I'd like to have a custom dog cover if any are available.

I didn't really take a lot of scenery pictures, but next time out I will take some with my Cayenne in the foreground to post on the board.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

There are some good seat protectors out there. Google "cayenne cargo liner" and you'll come up with middle seat and rear section solutions. We have two greyhounds so they go in the back.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:53 AM
ubermich
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't want to stick the dog all the way back in the cargo area, Duluth Trading co. also makes universal seat covers from firehose material. I haven't used the seat covers, but the firehose pants are amazing.

Our dogs aren't allowed in the Cayenne, but in my car I have the rubber cargo liner and cargo gate to make sure they don't become projectiles in case of accident.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:01 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Great post. Awesome trip....T
Old 03-30-2015, 05:22 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You took a 8000 mile road trip and you don't have any pictures to share?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:41 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Great experience it sounds like... and yes, what he said above ^^^ pic's please!

Quick Reply: Road Trip