Sponsored by:

Cayenne owners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:52 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Cayenne owners?

Ive been around the 928s for quite sometime but know very little of the other models of the marque.

Looking at a Cayenne as a SUV for our cold climate months and would love to hear of 928 owners who also own a Cayenne and their experiences.

Ive driven 3 Cayennes so far and they're a huge step up from my Grand Cherokee

Last edited by the flyin' scotsman; 12-05-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: title correction
Old 12-04-2014, 07:59 PM
yardpro
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

They are really sweet
Old 12-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Ladybug83
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
Ive been around the 928s for quite sometime but know very little of the other models of the marque. Looking at a Cayenne as a SUV for our cold climate months and would love to hear of 928 owners who also own a Cayenne and their experiences. Ive driven 3 Cayennes so far and they're a huge step up from my Grand Cherokee
We had a 2003 Grand Cherokee and now a 2012 model. We're tickled with it but I'm curious what you like about the Cayenne. We love them (cuz they're Porsches) and we're always looking at them but we've never driven one so we don't know the experience.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Calgary Ole

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have also tested a few Malcom. Including a 5 speed that was great.
We recently had a look at one that had a set of winter tires which gave it an extremely solid feel on the snow covered roads around here.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:11 PM
RedRaider1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perfect dog hauler

We've been extremely happy with the 05 turbo we picked up over three years ago. It's really been a great car that handles all types of road conditions including rain, mud and snow very good. The only issue we've had was the known coolant pipe failure. Be sure to find one that has had the update done for that and the rear hoses.
Attached Images    
Old 12-04-2014, 08:24 PM
davek9
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

They drive great, you never know your driving an SUV, the Turbo has lots of power, most of them can tow 7k lbs!

Make sure all the usual things have been replaced, there's a good Cayenne forum here with lots of info.
Buy the newest you can afford as many things were updated, you will find the Turbos are loaded w/ options too.
I drove a friends for over a month two winters back and liked it, so did Kristine however when I started working on it when a head light malfunctioned in zero degree weather (connection related) she commented "your buying another project...". Enough said right there.

We ended up w/ a 2014 Jeep GC Limited, it can tow 6.2k lbs and the 8 speed trans gives decent mileage too.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

the issues I know of are: coolant lines, coil packs and drive shaft bearing.
My price range is the 09 GTS........Ive put 50k kms on a Jeep GC I currently own so know it well, its a good SUV but its not a Porsche.

The Cayenne handles, accelerates and brakes so much better.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:29 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

928 content..........we are also in the market for another 928 in warmer climes
Old 12-04-2014, 09:29 PM
davek9
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Malcolm you are correct sir, yes it does, an 09 GTS would be a great choice!
Also include the head light bucket connections to your list, some just hard wire the connections.
Robert Budd a multi 928 owner has a turbo and loves it.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 820 Likes on 458 Posts

I have an '05 V6 Cayenne and I absolutely love it. It's a buyer's market in early Cayennes (04-07). Someone in the Cayenne forum is looking at an 04 S with 135k in beautiful condition with all service receipts for $7,500. That's not unusual.

For a 928 owner, any service will be a snap. The Cayenne is beautifully modular, and there are plenty of sources for parts (wrecks, aftermarket, and compatible VW parts).

Spend some time in the Cayenne forum, there's plenty of info there. Any specific questions, ask and someone will answer.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 107 Posts

I've wanted a turbo for quite a while now but there are a few things keeping me away.
If you Google search
Porsche Cayenne pis......you don't even have to finish typing piston to see what autocompletes.
or
Porsche Cayenne sco

I'd definitely make sure it's had the plastic coolant tubes, drive shaft bearing and coil packs replaced. I'd also have a PPI done with a borescope inspection done on every cylinder.

I often wonder if the piston slap and scored cylinders are a result of a plastic coolant tube letting go and an idiot owner continuing to drive and severely overheating the engine.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:07 PM
ATSAaron
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The V8's have the coolant pipe issue, plus the turbos cook everything under the hood so wiring connectors, plastic bits, and hoses/lines are super brittle on the older cheaper ones.

Aaron
Old 12-04-2014, 10:58 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been looking at the older Cayenne's for a couple of months too. I know someone who got a good deal on an '07 & he likes it a lot. I know someone else who just got out of an 2010 that was at the dealership constantly in his 18 months of ownership. Think he said he spent $5k on top of all of the repairs covered by the warranty. I am looking for one as a daily driver, so reliability is paramount.

I'm preferring the V8 if possible and would like to get one directly from an owner & not a dealer. I know the coolant tubes, & drive shaft(Carden is it?), are the more serious issues to look for. Also, another problem(cosmetic), which one would think might be inexpensive but isn't, is where the steering wheel buttons' finish wears off or degrades. Looks bad staring you in the face as you drive. Apparently, to replace them, the buttons are connected to the air bag assembly, which is a $1k+ repair. I did read in the Cayenne forum where some have found shops to paint the labels back on with fairly good success.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:07 PM
jcorenman
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 151 Posts

Malcom, we've got a 2005 turbo with about 100k miles, 20k of them ours. Great car, adequate power, and tows nicely. We got the turbo largely for the air suspension, it is a rare option otherwise. We have winter tires for it, but haven't driven on snow in anger yet. (Our ski trip to Utah and Colorado last February was all dry roads...).

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
the issues I know of are: coolant lines, coil packs and drive shaft bearing. ...
I think that is right. Our coolant pipes got done by the PO, coil packs are not the "bad" part# and have not been a problem, and the bearing has not been an issue yet (I do check it whenever it is on the lift for an oil change).

Originally Posted by 19psi
...I often wonder if the piston slap and scored cylinders are a result of a plastic coolant tube letting go and an idiot owner continuing to drive and severely overheating the engine.
From what I've read on the internets, turbo's don't seem to exhibit much of the scored-cylinder syndrome. Touch wood.

Originally Posted by ATSAaron
... the turbos cook everything under the hood so wiring connectors, plastic bits, and hoses/lines are super brittle on the older cheaper ones. ...
Not my experience, but ours was an eastern-Oregon car and now Washington state, so no Arizona summer temps.

Cheers, Jim
Old 12-04-2014, 11:37 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
............Spend some time in the Cayenne forum, there's plenty of info there. Any specific questions, ask and someone will answer.
thx Shawn..........I did start/ add to some threads on the Cayenne forum but have had far more response here from my 928 peeps

Quick Reply: Cayenne owners?