Sponsored by:

Passenger Side Air Filter Replacement 2005 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Passenger Side Air Filter Replacement 2005 Turbo

I'm in the middle of changing out the air filters on my 2005 Turbo and the driver side one was easy but the passenger side is just ridiculous. There appears to be an airline that connects to the back of the filter housing that is made out of plastic but will not remove. I'm putting considerable force on it and I'm afraid if I apply anymore it will break. Is there something I'm missing to get this line to disconnect? How is this plastic line able to make such a tight connection? Are there o-rings inside the piping?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:42 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
I'm in the middle of changing out the air filters on my 2005 Turbo and the driver side one was easy but the passenger side is just ridiculous. There appears to be an airline that connects to the back of the filter housing that is made out of plastic but will not remove. I'm putting considerable force on it and I'm afraid if I apply anymore it will break. Is there something I'm missing to get this line to disconnect? How is this plastic line able to make such a tight connection? Are there o-rings inside the piping?
Twist it until you see the screwdriver notch. Use a small screw driver to pop off the green cap towards the air filter. Then, pop the teeth ring off away from the filter. That will unlock that connection and allow you to slide it off.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

I don't have a green cap. Everything is all black. Just to clarify, I'm trying to remove the air filter cover so I can replace the air filter on the passenger side. I can't remove the air filter cover because of this hose connection that connects to it. Should mine have a green cap some where?
Old 11-28-2014, 10:16 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

It might be all black. Its the air tube for the onboard air compressor. You need to split the connection. Think like you are cutting bagel to put in a toaster. if it's not sliding off easily, it could break. Be careful. It's possible to move other objects so you don't have to remove it, too. Twist the hose on the air box until you find the notch for a screw driver.

http://karl.wilen.us/images/DWR/Bill%20Griffin/4.JPG
Old 11-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Thanks! Mine looks just like that minus the green cap. If the green cap isn't on there it should slide off, correct?
Old 11-29-2014, 03:26 AM
Bozbomber
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so glad you posted this thread. I was trying to replace mine with the K&N drop-in ones last night started it from the passenger side and gave up because I was unable to remove the air connector. I tried it with a flat head screw driver to pop off the cap but it didn't work for me. I didn't want to force it and ended up putting everything back....

Let me know if you are able to pop off the cap.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:58 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What wrinkled pants said. Whatever color it is, the filter-side cap holds it together. Pry it apart so that piece is loose against the filter, and the remaining joint will release. It may be spring loaded - I forget - but it slides out of the little nipple sticking out of the filter box.

Too much force and you'll end up super-gluing something. The little screwdriver blade insert to separated the "bagel halves" is pretty small. I had to get a mini flat head.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Ok thanks! I think mine has already been glued back together as there is no cap on it anymore. I'm going to try a different route.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:44 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

They do get Brittle with age. I had a mechanic friend at a large Porsche dealer here in the NW and he told me they even had them break regularly.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

I just went out and took a close look at mine again and it doesn't have the securing cap on it which tells me someone probably glued it in because I can't even get the hose to rotate. I'm pretty disappointed with the cheapness Porsche used for this solution. Seriously, what is wrong with using a rubber hose for this application?

I thought loosening the hose clamp below the MAF sensor would allow me to pull that pipe up and out but even with the clamp loose that cheap plastic pipe won't budge. I was kinda hoping that MAF pipe would give me enough room to move the air filter cover forward and slide out the old filter. I'm out of ideas on trying to get the air filter replaced now.

Last edited by Dan87951; 11-29-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:51 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

It's possible someone pulled it off without doing it properly, and then glued it back in. The connection itself is pretty stupid, and if you cut the plastic connector off, you could easily replace it with a rubber hose. It's what I plan on doing someday. The air hose is so that the air compressor can pull in filtered air. So, not something overly critical like a vac or pressure tube on the engine. If it's not coming off, either try to pry it off with a screw driver, or just break it off and replace the air filter cover. Or just pry it off and cut off the connection, and replace with a rubber tube. It didn't look to me like it was a check valve, or something. But, it's such a complicated connection that I have to figure there is a reason it's like that. You should give the rubber hose a try and get back to us
Old 11-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the feedback. That is probably what I will end up doing. For right now its too cold outside to mess with it. I'm going to wait until spring time as the driver side air filter wasn't too bad. I'm going to put the Cayenne up in storage until next year for now.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:52 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you certain that you've pushed the small inner collet into the main tube. In the picture posted above the green cap actually covers the smaller inner collet. You have to make sure that is pushed into the larger outer collar before the tube will come off. If you just pull on the tube it wont actually go anywhere.

If you google "push to connect fitting" it may give you an idea.

Of course if someone has actually glued it back together, you may be out of luck.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:26 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porschefan931
Are you certain that you've pushed the small inner collet into the main tube.
Thank you for that. I knew there was a trick to removal but couldn't remember how I did it the last time. I was pulling fairly hard but it didn't feel right.

Sliding the inner collet away from the filter lets it slide right off.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:05 PM
dporsche74
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if Porsche sells the Air filter clip and what ever fits inside.. ? During my air filter change on 09 TTS the round pressure release piece inside fell out and I cannot find it.
Now it doesn't install back on and falls off.. Anyone have a part diagram or part number for said clip
Seems to be Air pressure bleed off for the Air suspension

thanks!

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Air Filter Replacement 2005 Turbo