Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Strong exhaust odor on start

After starting our 955, for about a minute or two there is a strong exhaust odor in the cockpit. Anyone have this issue, or know what this could be? It goes away after a few minutes, but initially it's fairly strong.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:40 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

No one's had this?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 955tt for about a month and also noticed this.

Indy checked it out for me and said it's fairly normal for a turbo. I'd be interested to hear anything to the contrary though.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had my 04 TT for a year and a half. There is no odor inside the cockpit on start up. It is super-extra noisy for the first 20-30 seconds both from the engine compartment and exhaust while I assume it is getting to operation temperatures. After that point I can hear some sort of mechanism close and the noise from the engine bay gets cut down by about 80%.

I do leave the recirc setting on automatic. I'll try leaving it set to fresh air and see if I get the odor. Maybe some of this stuff is related?
Old 10-21-2014, 03:45 PM
bfly
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine had something similar when I replaced a grenaded air pump. There was a piece of the air pump's fan jammed in the one-way valve keeping it open. Simple enough to diagnose, pull the pump start the engine and see if there is exhaust coming out. Fixing it is equally easy. Pull the one-way valve and remove the offending debris.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by bfly
Mine had something similar when I replaced a grenaded air pump. There was a piece of the air pump's fan jammed in the one-way valve keeping it open. Simple enough to diagnose, pull the pump start the engine and see if there is exhaust coming out. Fixing it is equally easy. Pull the one-way valve and remove the offending debris.
Thanks much!! Hopefully it is that. Really appreciate your time.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:51 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
After starting our 955, for about a minute or two there is a strong exhaust odor in the cockpit. Anyone have this issue, or know what this could be? It goes away after a few minutes, but initially it's fairly strong.
This can be a sign that the CAT's have issues, my 955 had that smell after a couple of nights in the garage.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:53 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
I've had my 04 TT for a year and a half. There is no odor inside the cockpit on start up. It is super-extra noisy for the first 20-30 seconds both from the engine compartment and exhaust while I assume it is getting to operation temperatures. After that point I can hear some sort of mechanism close and the noise from the engine bay gets cut down by about 80%.

I do leave the recirc setting on automatic. I'll try leaving it set to fresh air and see if I get the odor. Maybe some of this stuff is related?
This is normal behavior depending on what climate your in. The extra noise at start is normal, the engine runs at high revs to rapidly warm up the CAT's for emission compliance.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Will replacing with Fabspeed cat bypass pipes correct this issue you think? Or is it likely the primary cats that are causing the odor?
Old 02-07-2015, 01:49 PM
antknee
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution

Matt,
Ever find out why? I have a 2008 997TTCab with a Fabtech exhaust and it does the same thing for the first 30 seconds while the engines warms. Strong exhaust/gas odor comes from the car. Once the noise settles down the smell is gone. Lingers in the garage for a while and I am concerned for pets coming/going through there.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by antknee
Matt,
Ever find out why? I have a 2008 997TTCab with a Fabtech exhaust and it does the same thing for the first 30 seconds while the engines warms. Strong exhaust/gas odor comes from the car. Once the noise settles down the smell is gone. Lingers in the garage for a while and I am concerned for pets coming/going through there.
No I have not figured out why. I have had no time to troubleshoot it as I have been away a lot recently.

Quick Reply: Strong exhaust odor on start