Need Advice on 2010 Cayenne GTS Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Lousi38
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on 2010 Cayenne GTS Purchase

Dear All,

I found a 2010 low mileage Cayenne GTS--11,000 miles. The porsche PPI showed the following issues:
1. moon roof doesnt work, cause unknown
2. needs new brakepads
3. rear locking mechanism may need to be replaced.

The paint is in good condition, interior looks new and the owner even left the plastic protective stickers on the metal door sills, etc. Has new tires. Porsche vouched for the mileage as being correct, as they sold the car to the owner and have maintained it. The question is what is a fair price. It will have no warrantee.

Thank you for your advice.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly, low mileage only maters on bespoke Porsche's that will be kept low mileage. Otherwise, you're paying an inflated price for no real benefit. It's odd the car would have those issues, but none of them were fixed under warranty. And, that the brake pads are bunk already. You're now going to be on the hook for all the factory defective bits that are going to fail as the car breaks in. 11K isn't really broke in. If you look at the maintenance sheet for any new german car, the first 50K miles are usually filed with all sorts of random things that fail. After you get passed the defective parts, things tend to fail on a relatively normal schedule.

I have to figure that anyone selling a 2010 GTS with that few of miles is going to ask a lot. I'd suggest looking for one with more miles that doesn't have issues. I mean, it's a 2010, but it's honestly not that much different than the 04 I'm driving. Interior layout is the same, driveline is the same, body shape is the same. The only difference is you have PDCC, better seats, newer PCM, and different bumpers. You're going to spend a ton of money and you're not far from a 958, which IMO, is a much different car.

If you want low mileage, get something with 40-60K miles. Fresh off the showroom floor without a warranty is asking for trouble.

Otherwise - KBB and maybe take a few thousand off for the repairs and brakes.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:44 PM
loxxrider
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

What is the ask? Sounds like a hell of a find assuming the small issues can be taken care of easily. That said, it likely hasn't had fuel pumps replaced and that sort of thing due to the low mileage. Factor that into your decision now that it's out of warranty.

I'm hesitant to comment on price as I don't really see them with miles that low often, but if I were buying, I think it'd be worth 40k to me IF the problems were fixed and IF had a warranty until 50k. Compare that to a very nicely optioned 2009 Turbo S I bought recently for just under 40k. It had 76k miles on it though. I agree with everything wrinkledpants said about it being odd that the pads need changed at 11k (they are likely trying to get the service out of you) and that the first 50k you really need a warranty. Mine shows many thousands of dollars worth of work done in the first 50k.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:47 AM
Lousi38
Advanced

Thank you. The ask is $46k. I might be able to bargain down to $43k. I'm not sure that the brake pads need to be replaced...as Porsche was doing the PPI with view to pricing it for a trade in, the parties could not agree, and then sales person passed owner details to me. There are very few Cayenne available for sale where I live (overseas).

However, there is a 2009 for sale, base Cayenne, also low mileage, in good shape for $37k.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 528 Posts

So to understand correctly, you did not actually do a PPI but relied on the seller's Report when he tried to trade-in the car? Replacing pads at 11k sounds fishy but its easy to check them visually. New tires after only 11k sounds weird too - they should last much longer. The sunroof could be an easy or expensive fix. Whatever you do, make the fix part of the deal. I would question why the seller did not have that fixed prior to putting the car up for sale. If you get the car in the low $40s with the sunroof fixed, that's a good deal. Make sure you do a PPI that you pay for. You could also see whether you could purchase the car through a dealer where they would CPO it for a cost.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Lousi38
Advanced

Frank, yes, that's correct. As for replacing tires, pads, not sure if the very hot climate here has anything to do with it, but it isn't that unusual to find tires, etc being replaced quickly. Roads are very rough here too. However, it could very well be that the shop was just trying to sell him service. There was something in the notes (I don't have a copy yet) about the pads being at 50%. As for having sun roof fixed, yes, thank you for the advice. The issue is that it rolls up slowly after being opened...the owner hardly used the car at all and had rarely used the sunroof.

Last edited by Lousi38; 09-11-2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: additinal info in most needed
Old 09-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 528 Posts

Sorry - didn't realize you are not in the US. If your pads are at 50%, you're fine for another 10k miles - easy! The sunroof issue could just be a lubrication issue stemming from non-use.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Lousi38
Advanced

Thanks. I verified with the shop manager that the pads are ok for another season. The sunroof issue may be nothing or something...no one looked at it closely enough . The one thing that does need to be fixed is the passenger door lock on the driver's side.

Apparently the door doesn't open and the locking mechanism needs to be replaced. I was told by the local Porsche dealer that it is about an $800 repair here. That sound about right?
Old 09-11-2014, 10:25 PM
loxxrider
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

That's an awful lot for that repair, but at Porsche dealer rip-off prices, I'd say it's about right. The parts are not expensive, and it isn't rocket science to get the door apart.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Lousi38
Advanced

Agree but there are few choices regarding service, etc .here.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Lousi38
Dear All,

I found a 2010 low mileage Cayenne GTS--11,000 miles. The porsche PPI showed the following issues:
1. moon roof doesnt work, cause unknown
2. needs new brakepads
3. rear locking mechanism may need to be replaced.

The paint is in good condition, interior looks new and the owner even left the plastic protective stickers on the metal door sills, etc. Has new tires. Porsche vouched for the mileage as being correct, as they sold the car to the owner and have maintained it. The question is what is a fair price. It will have no warrantee.

Thank you for your advice.
? If you had the dealer do the PPI, also ask how much it'll cost to put things to right including the new rear locking mechanism.

I am with those who hold that low miles to that extent is nothing. You pay more for it but what do you get? Nothing if you drive the car. I suppose if you want to store it for the future, the low miles makes sense. Otherwise, I'd not pay a premium for that.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For added protection, I would strongly recommend you definitely ask for a Carfax on this vehicle. It's worth the few bucks to find out if the car has been accidented or even submerged in a flood damage.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:40 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 312 Posts

Have u looked at the Porsche Dealer Buildsheet to see what options this GTS has on it?
I would not buy one without knowing it has the options I want.

You did not say where u are located, but these Porsches do not rust as they are built with double-sided hot-dipped steel. So rust is not a factor as long as they have not had body panels replaced with inferior non-OEM steel.

My FL one-owner never-wrecked 09 GTS recently cost me $32k, but it had 71k miles. I had it serviced by my local indie, and the oil was clean and bright on the dipstick. They checked and it has 70% brakes left, new air filters, excellent battery test, and it still is tight as a drum with no squeaks or rattles. It has had no 'surprises'. So it seems mileage is not always a huge factor.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:10 AM
Lousi38
Advanced

i'm located in western africa. There are few options in terms of porsches to purchase, though I could import if i was willing to wait the three-four months it would take. Prices of cars are typically quite a bit higher (30%) than in the US, though the difference narrows a bit with used vehicles. There is one other porsche cayenne available---a 2009 base version, also low mileage, and in good condition, around $38k. Frankly, I'm not sure of which of the two to purchase.

The GTS options on this vehicle seem to be basic--panoramic roof, parking assist, 20 inch wheels, backup camera, sportdesign package, triptronic. Cost is, in USD, $47k. Options on the 2009 base version are similar.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Lousi38
Advanced

All, a bit more on the door and sunroof issue. Would appreciate your advice:

Door: driver's side passenger door opens from inside but not from outside. Any thoughts as to the cause and potential fixes?

Sunroof: opens and closes but closes very slowly. It's the panoramic sunroof.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need Advice on 2010 Cayenne GTS Purchase