Sponsored by:

First tow trip in 958 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 09:49 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
You have air suspension on the Diesel? I recently towed from San Diego to Laguna (about 420mi ea way) and got a whopping 12.6mpg with my GTS towing about 5500 with a 61mph avg. Grapevine was no prob... but the gas bill is pretty sizable compared to yours! If the gas tax goes through in January, I think we're getting a diesel cayenne!
A Cayenne tow vehicle is on my wish list. Keep going back and forth between a diesel and a CS. Saw a review done by Dan Neil in the Wall Street Journal awhile ago and one of his many provocative statements:

One reason is the stubborn price premium on diesel fuel, which was running 15% higher than regular gasoline—a whopping 60 cents per gallon—in the last week in November, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Whatever mileage advantages diesel vehicles offer are being largely zeroed out at the pump.

The vehicles themselves carry a diesel penalty. The base price of our test car this week, an outrageously well-made 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel, is $3,900 higher than that of the comparably equipped base model with a gasoline six and Tiptronic automatic transmission. I’ve just run some numbers: In order to recoup, in fuel savings, the additional outlay for the Cayenne Diesel you would have to own it for about 11.9 years. May I suggest an air freshener?

This article was written in 2013. Today's prices at the pump are really low for gasoline. I suspect the price difference is even greater than 15% between gas/diesel. Realize that gas prices will go back up - but will diesel prices come down closer to gasoline?

My question is diesel the more economic choice for a Cayenne that will be doing some towing duty when you factor in the cost differences for fuel?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:25 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That is a typically disingenuous statement made by those that don't like diesels. He is rightly comparing the VR6 vs the CD, but he is using the regular gas price rather than the premium price which is what the bas requires.

It does still take a long time to pay off the difference, but using a number of years is also disingenuous since it is based on miles travelled and not time.

I'm tracking this very metric on mine and even with diesel currently at $0.30 more than premium I am still saving about $12 per fill as my estimates are that I would use roughly 1.3 tanks for the same miles i'm doing in the diesel.

All that said, when you factor in the extra oil changes (i get mine done significantly less than the dealer wants which helps), with 19k on the clock I still estimate another 77k to go to pay off the premium over the base. All in that will be about 10 years of ownership.

So if you aren't going to keep it a long time, you won't see that premium back, but there are still also some other intangibles as well. Diesel vehicles have historically had a higher resale value (though I expect that to change as more are available). The cost of fuel doesn't fluctuate nearly as much as gas. It requires less energy to produce the fuel and with the DEF system it has lower emissions than the gas model.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I didn't get the cd due to cost of fuel or mileage. The diesel just tows awesome. The turbo v6 however might make me reconsider if I were buying new today. It's low end torque is attractive for towing. The other thing I liked is this diesel engine is a well known and widely used platform across VW range with good reliability history.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I didn't get the cd due to cost of fuel or mileage. The diesel just tows awesome. The turbo v6 however might make me reconsider if I were buying new today. It's low end torque is attractive for towing. The other thing I liked is this diesel engine is a well known and widely used platform across VW range with good reliability history.
+1

I recently switched from a '10 GTS to a Q7 Diesel. Couldn't justify the diesel for the economics given the $0.50 to $0.75 diesel premium over premium gas. It would take me over 100k miles to justify acquisition cost difference, however:

- you cannot beat the low end torque of the diesel for towing. Makes driving with/without the trailer much more relaxed
- When not towing, it's great to gas up every 600 miles instead of 300 miles
- not every gas station carries Diesel
- Diesel pricing varies widely between gas station where I live (by $0.50 - $0.60 sometimes)
Old 01-03-2015, 01:28 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
+1

I recently switched from a '10 GTS to a Q7 Diesel. ...

- you cannot beat the low end torque of the diesel for towing. Makes driving with/without the trailer much more relaxed
Hey Frank! Compared to your GTS, is that that "much" of a difference? My 08 GTS has no issues with almost 6000lbs behind it even through CA and Utah mountains. It tows better than a full-size Titan truck. I can't see how 30 or so more ft-lbs of torque with half the horsepower would feel stronger to you. I've only driven a 2014 Diesel without the trailer, and compared to the GTS, it felt like a 4-banger car with zero top end and a very short RPM range.

I'm interested in your thoughts as I've considered a CD for its better around-town efficiency but don't like the performance feel difference... If we only had the Diesel S available it'd be an easy change.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 528 Posts

Hey Frank! Compared to your GTS, is that that "much" of a difference? My 08 GTS has no issues with almost 6000lbs behind it even through CA and Utah mountains. It tows better than a full-size Titan truck. I can't see how 30 or so more ft-lbs of torque with half the horsepower would feel stronger to you. I've only driven a 2014 Diesel without the trailer, and compared to the GTS, it felt like a 4-banger car with zero top end and a very short RPM range. I'm interested in your thoughts as I've considered a CD for its better around-town efficiency but don't like the performance feel difference... If we only had the Diesel S available it'd be an easy change.
You are actually spot on with your observations. The difference between the two cars is when the torque is available. Whereas the Diesel will continue to pull uphill at 2000 RPMs, the GTS would downshift and climb that same hill at 5500 RPMs. That's why I think the diesel has a more relaxed feel when towing.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:21 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I have towed my enclosed Trailex trailer with both our former '11 Cayenne "S" and our current Cayenne Diesel and the Diesel wins hands down with and without a trailer attached. We have put over 31,000 miles on the diesel in 1.5 years and have had no problems plus fantastic mileage.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:06 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I have towed my enclosed Trailex trailer with both our former '11 Cayenne "S" and our current Cayenne Diesel and the Diesel wins hands down with and without a trailer attached.
Can you specify how? Thanks!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:19 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
That is a typically disingenuous statement made by those that don't like diesels. He is rightly comparing the VR6 vs the CD, but he is using the regular gas price rather than the premium price which is what the bas requires.

It does still take a long time to pay off the difference, but using a number of years is also disingenuous since it is based on miles travelled and not time.

I'm tracking this very metric on mine and even with diesel currently at $0.30 more than premium I am still saving about $12 per fill as my estimates are that I would use roughly 1.3 tanks for the same miles i'm doing in the diesel.

All that said, when you factor in the extra oil changes (i get mine done significantly less than the dealer wants which helps), with 19k on the clock I still estimate another 77k to go to pay off the premium over the base. All in that will be about 10 years of ownership.

So if you aren't going to keep it a long time, you won't see that premium back, but there are still also some other intangibles as well. Diesel vehicles have historically had a higher resale value (though I expect that to change as more are available). The cost of fuel doesn't fluctuate nearly as much as gas. It requires less energy to produce the fuel and with the DEF system it has lower emissions than the gas model.
Great points Gnat, didn't realize that the article was comparing CD to a base Cayenne. Porsche indicates the same towing capacity with the base - but I'm a bit skeptical. Starting to wonder if the hybrid Cayenne might be the way to go?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:54 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Can you specify how? Thanks!
mileage for a start. I was lucky to get 13 mpg (and rarely) with the 2011 "S" and with the diesel easily 19 plus normally more. Same trailer and load. Additionally the low end torque is much much better.

And for those that say the diesel runs out of punch for passing at highway speeds, I disagree.

And for those that are waiting for the diesel "S" that is available in Europe I would say WHY. You won't be able to tow any more as the towing limit on the Cayenne is chassis limited not engine/ drive train.

We have had a 2008 Cayenne GTS, a 2011 Cayenne S and now over 31,000 on a '14 Cayenne Diesel and hands down the diesel wins. I carry 2 psi more than the placard in the front tires and it is every bit as nimble as the "S" I do have PASM but no air suspension. We have a 2015 diesel on order ( I want the adaptive sport seats for more support of my lower back and we are also getting PCCB's which will provide better (nothing wrong with the iron brakes) braking and lower unsprung suspension weight significantly . Hope that answers the question
Old 01-04-2015, 11:57 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Forgot to mention, some have complained that the diesel costs more and that they require 5000 mile oil changes.

I have run tests when I had both the "S" and the diesel and the diesel wins hands down around town and on the road even with the differences in high test and diesel prices. As for oil changes, I change the oil on all my cars every 5000 miles so that is a non issue.

Quick Reply: First tow trip in 958 diesel