Sponsored by:

New 2015 Cayennes announced

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by McQueen993
I am disappointed. No updated GTS which is what I was holding out for, and I think getting rid of the v8 in the S is a mistake, though I understand the need to do so. The last bi-turbo v6 I had was in an Audi S4, and that was not very reliable.
I am surprised with no mention of GTS, does it at least get the new exterior and interior? I actually don't mind the fact that it wasn't changed and remained (if not pulled) with V8, while S is now bi-turbo.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:02 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PN Cal
Just to add, if you look at the German Porsche web page, they do get the increase to about 258 hp (slightly different calculation and they get something like 262).
You're right, the EU version gets a power bump but not here in US. I have no idea why, probably because it had to go through certification again for verification of MPG? Maybe they kept it the same not do require that and save money? Who knows... literally the most disappointing part of the announcement.

EU gets a 22HP bumps, Panamera Diesel gets a 300HP Diesel version (0-60 in under 6 seconds, probably in Cayenne body would be under 6.5), and we get the same old under-powered engine and not even a V8D option?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:08 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
No PDK?
Told you so

Full model redesign at the earliest, but I wouldn't hold your breath for it until maybe the .2 of the next model.

This is due to the lengthy and expensive US approval process for the diesel engines, also why we in US do not get start-stop on the diesel.
Except that Audi and VW are already using higher outputs for the Q5, Q7, and T-Reg. My understanding is that it is the same V6 TDI we already have, just some tweaks. Regardless though, VAG already has a higher output V6 TDI in the NA market so regulative approval should be minimal.

As far as not having start/stop, that's a plus in my book. I will admit that it wasn't as bad as I expected in the loaner Benz I had while the P!g was at the dealer for a few days, was unpredictable (shutting off when I didn't expect it and not when I did) and annoying (my nightly commute has a lot of crawling so my foot was coming off the brake just as it shut off). I also just can't get over the idea of shutting the motor off when you aren't parking.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm really not convinced with the look. Gen one seems less complicated and more balanced overall. Just mo. Only real improvement is the MF wheel. The rest meh. Kinda looks like a van now it's so squarish. From the rear it looks like a layered cake. Even the rear lights look an afterthought and don't hit the mark. I'm sure cost was involved in the design and that is what has left it looking like a tart up for the worse. They should have started with this new design and kept the last one as the update, and add some proper rear lights. That way it could be said as an "improved" design.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like one significant change to the diesel... The website indicates that PDCC is available now:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...-control-pdcc/

Edit: Looks like it's probably just a mistake on the website. The German configurator doesn't list PDCC as an option for the Diesel
Old 07-24-2014, 06:12 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I am surprised with no mention of GTS, does it at least get the new exterior and interior? I actually don't mind the fact that it wasn't changed and remained (if not pulled) with V8, while S is now bi-turbo.
Unless you find one in stock, no GTS. Same with the base. They'll both be back though as that is a normal release pattern for the Cayenne, Panamera, and now it would appear the Macan (release S and Turbo first, then come back and add the base, next is the GTS, and finally the TTS).
Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 PM
PN Cal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, when you look at the Audi page, both the Q5 and the current Q7 TDIs use the 240hp version in US. Same for VW Touareg. Maybe Porsche will change when the new Q7 comes mid of next year.
Same for me regarding the start-stop, but it can safe some diesel in the city. You could always switch it off, if you do not like it but would have the option to use it.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nugget
Looks like one significant change to the diesel... The website indicates that PDCC is available now:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...-control-pdcc/

(or it could just be a mistake, I guess we'll find out soon enough)
One can hope it's real, but there were a few things listed as options on the website for the .1 diesel that turned out not to be (4-zone climate).
Old 07-24-2014, 06:20 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Actually, when you look at the Audi page, both the Q5 and the current Q7 TDIs use the 240hp version in US. Same for VW Touareg.
I stand corrected. I could swear when the new T-Reg and refreshed Q7 came out that they bumped to 260/420. Maybe those were poorly converted Euro specs...
Old 07-24-2014, 06:27 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Actually, when you look at the Audi page, both the Q5 and the current Q7 TDIs use the 240hp version in US. Same for VW Touareg. Maybe Porsche will change when the new Q7 comes mid of next year.
Same for me regarding the start-stop, but it can safe some diesel in the city. You could always switch it off, if you do not like it but would have the option to use it.
Do you think they'd do that? Like 958.3 model? I guess they kinda did that with 957... literally no Diesel upgrade is the biggest flop of this announcement! I was really waiting for that and would have made me bite the bullet and get a brand new Cayenne... now however, I'd be looking at pre-owned saving my money.

Like seriously, what's the incentive for a CD owner to get a new one now? Absolutely no real benefit what so ever... "S" gets a power bump and better fuel econ, TT is faster and more frugal with more standard options, yet Diesel is the same and more expensive? Totally missed the mark!

Last edited by alexb76; 07-24-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:44 PM
PN Cal
Intermediate

You are right, no real benefit. I got one of the very first ones in US in early September 2013, why would I trade in anyhow after two years. The car is perfect for the area I live in, strong from 0-35 mph but no high top speed, which I cannot use with the limits, anyhow.
Porsche did at least the such an engine change in Germany, change the Diesel within a model sequence, so I could imagine them doing it here as well, once they get the new engine with the higher volume Q7/ Touareg/Cayenne as a 2016 model.
Wondering what Mercedes fans will say that they are replacing the 350 bluetec with the 250 bluetec in US for the next model year (also no facelift as that will come in 2015).
Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 PM
PN Cal
Intermediate

You are right, no real benefit. I got one of the very first ones in US in early September 2013, why would I trade in anyhow after two years. The car is perfect for the area I live in, strong from 0-35 mph but no high top speed, which I cannot use with the limits, anyhow.
Porsche did at least the such an engine change in Germany, change the Diesel within a model sequence, so I could imagine them doing it here as well, once they get the new engine with the higher volume Q7/ Touareg/Cayenne as a 2016 model.
Wondering what Mercedes fans will say that they are replacing the 350 bluetec with the 250 bluetec in US for the next model year (also no facelift as that will come in 2015).
Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Question on the tail lights... does it have the same shape/opening, so could it be retrofitted to 958.1?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:06 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think anyone knows yet.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:40 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Sport Plus is now available as part of the Sport Chrono package. Makes it "snappier" and apparently retards PSM involvement.

Question on the tail lights... does it have the same shape/opening, so could it be retrofitted to 958.1?
Possibly on the fenders, but they appear to be longer and thinner on the tail gate to me.

Quick Reply: New 2015 Cayennes announced