Sponsored by:

May I ask a simple question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 09:32 PM
DanP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ERAU-944
see, here's where people blur the line between truck and SUV.

SUV's are for hauling kids/lighter cargo

my $1.02
-Michael-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually Michael has some very good points.

Last edited by DanP; 08-23-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:15 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

quote:
Originally posted by ERAU-944
see, here's where people blur the line between truck and SUV.

SUV's are for hauling kids/lighter cargo

my $1.02
-Michael-

Perhaps that's way they invented minivans.......

A minivan was a commercial style vehicle developed for human cargo.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:57 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Torags-
Sorry
The bottom line: A good vehicle should excel at doing one thing really well-most of us seem to be able to afford multiple vehicles anyway-so buy whats best for each task.
Modern day Crossover blobs (like the Cayenne) will be remembered as vehicles that tried to do a little bit of everything but not one thing well enough. A Cayenne is nothing more than a rolling marketing brief that made it to the production floor. There is no argument for justifying the functionality of the Cayenne it's not a sports car-it's not a truck- it is best at neither.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:11 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry - A good vehicle should accomplish exactly what its purchaser wants it to accomplish.

I wanted a $100K write-off that hauled butt, handled faily well and was not seen on every corner in town.

The Cayenne Turbo is just that.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:40 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Franklin Dear Boy, you should get off your 911 esoteric sports car high horse and face a little sobering reality..."The Cayenne is here to stay and will not be a memory!!!" maybe you would be better off leaving the Porsche family and join up with Ferrari...That way you can spend your 200K on a sweet sports car(Does one thing well) and look forward to replacement parts not being made available from the manufacturer within three years of purchase...ie "The Testarossa". At least Porsche has the vision to build a quality vehicle that will generate enough $$$ to keep it in business many years down the road and subsidize the dwindling sales of their sports cars.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Franklin229
Torags-
Sorry
The bottom line: A good vehicle should excel at doing one thing really well-most of us seem to be able to afford multiple vehicles anyway-so buy whats best for each task.
Modern day Crossover blobs (like the Cayenne) will be remembered as vehicles that tried to do a little bit of everything but not one thing well enough. A Cayenne is nothing more than a rolling marketing brief that made it to the production floor. There is no argument for justifying the functionality of the Cayenne it's not a sports car-it's not a truck- it is best at neither.
This crossover blob, the Cayenne is a truck. It is a specialized vehicle for me. I will haul tools & tow 6,000 lbs. with it & it runs quickly. I will never get my buzz with it (nothing with 4 wheels can), but it is a functional vehicle for my work.

Your concept is extremely simplistic and PAG is trying it's damnest to put that behind them.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:18 AM
meanmaroon951
Racer

If you want to buy a VW dont drive a cayenne

"Once you go Cayenne your never go back"
--Mark Tawain
Old 08-29-2003, 07:23 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by rockitman
Franklin Dear Boy, you should get off your 911 esoteric sports car high horse and face a little sobering reality..."The Cayenne is here to stay and will not be a memory!!!" maybe you would be better off leaving the Porsche family and join up with Ferrari...That way you can spend your 200K on a sweet sports car(Does one thing well) and look forward to replacement parts not being made available from the manufacturer within three years of purchase...ie "The Testarossa". At least Porsche has the vision to build a quality vehicle that will generate enough $$$ to keep it in business many years down the road and subsidize the dwindling sales of their sports cars.
My 911 is already a sweet sports car-
I'll stick with my horse-I have no problem riding it.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:54 AM
JB in Irvine
Track Day

Originally posted by Franklin229
Torags-
Sorry
Hello Franklin......world calling!

What makes SUV's propular is their UTILITY. Its the very essence of the vehicle that it can perform multiple rolls. Porsche has just taken that to a new level.

Our Lexus SUV, is great for shopping, carting stuff, towing, family trips, driving through 3 feet deep snow and is also just a damn nice luxury vehicle to drive.

With the Cayenne you get all that and something that stops and handles well! Something our LX470 does not do well.

I don't see you arguing against vehicles like a MB S55? After all who said a luxury sedan needs to have all that power and acceleration???

Porsche has brilliantly executed a world class SUV, that not only excells in normal SUV roles, but drives on the open road great.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:21 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by JB in Irvine
Hello Franklin......world calling!

What makes SUV's popular is their UTILITY. Its the very essence of the vehicle that it can perform multiple rolls. Porsche has just taken that to a new level.

Our Lexus SUV, is great for shopping, carting stuff, towing, family trips, driving through 3 feet deep snow and is also just a damn nice luxury vehicle to drive.

With the Cayenne you get all that and something that stops and handles well! Something our LX470 does not do well.

I don't see you arguing against vehicles like a MB S55? After all who said a luxury sedan needs to have all that power and acceleration???

Porsche has brilliantly executed a world class SUV, that not only excels in normal SUV roles, but drives on the open road great.
JB-
What makes trucks popular is their utility. Purposefully built and able to haul and drive through anything. Truck platforms do this very well. The vehicles we are discussing here are far from being this utilitarian. Again it's the image and badge that has the hook rather than the true purpose of the vehicle. As for the MB S55-more power to them. MB should continue to build and develop powerful sedans- its a core competency of their's. M Class though-is a perfect example of a big mistake.
Agreeing to disagree is the answer here-I won't push my point any further.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:26 AM
camcayenne
Advanced

Franklin 229 and others... I am in the process of getting two cars.. one a car for track days only .. caterham/old 911 etc and a cayenne .. the later car car has to perform the following duties (and I want them all in one car)... good for my 40min commute to work that encompases freeway and small english country lanes, ability to do home visits on my patients (I'm a doctor) in all weathers and wherever they live (even if that is down a muddy pot-hole ridden track) safe and comfortable for me, my friends and family on short and long trips. High driving position to ensure good road visibility and the height to see over hedges etc. Rapid response vehicle to allow me to attend road traffic accidents quickly and safely. As you can see there is not much point having several cars to do different jobs... if I'm at work and I have a slow 4X4 then I can't repond to accidents.. if I have a fast car and then get to the accident .. only to find its a horserider and its 2 miles down a muddy track.... Please suggest an alternative car to a cayenne... Overfinch Range Rover is the only one that springs to mind and thats $160,000 and not as fast as a Cayenne s.. over to you for other suggestions... if you can't come up with a sensible answer stop bitching and accept there are some people out there for whom the cayenne is PERFECT.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:26 AM
camcayenne
Advanced

Oh I forgot to add.. it has to be able to tow my track day car.... again cayenne fits the bill...
Old 08-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

I could recommend vehicles that would fit the bill but it is not going to convince anyone (nor is it my intent) who already has a Cayenne or someone who is ready to purchase one.
I'm not bitching-it's just my point of view-which I have already made. Bottom line is-any money going to Porsche is a positive, regardless of vehicle preference.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:32 AM
JeffES
Pro

Seeing 'how I'm in the market, what vehicles would fit the bill?? The Audi allroad? Please - don't be insulting. Torag? No thank you. RR?? The Prince of Darkness lives on. Next??
J
Old 08-29-2003, 11:34 AM
JeffES
Pro

I know, I apologize... DNFTT!!! :-)

Quick Reply: May I ask a simple question?