Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! $2000 for climate control box?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:49 PM
BobbySpeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! $2000 for climate control box?

Car is in at Indie shop and flaps are stuck and he said it needs a "climate control box".

He gave me a quote that includes labor, a little on the high, of $2000.

Evac and recharge is included, but he is going to try and wire the flaps open for the summer so I can wait on spending all hat money since he says I also need rear brakes.

Anyone been through this???

What to do, what to do???
Original post: Cool air blowing from one side warm air the other

Driver side is blowing fairly cool but passenger side is blowing warm- except on cool days.

Had this problem last year and did an a/c evac and recharge, and a/c blew nice and cold out both sides.

I hear a hissing sound sometimes on the passenger side, and sometimes when a/c is at the coldest setting with fan turned up all the way up there is a kind of ticking rattling sound.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Firstly the AC Control unit is not tied to the charge in the system, or connected to it. That's just standard aircon speak and very costly. There are almost no reports of Aircon leak down on this board.

The control unit however were known to fail early on, I had 2 replaced under warranty.

Did he get error messages from the system to make him think the control unit had actually gone ?

This system makes some funny noises. The servo valves are actually run by a family of german mice.

The valves, no one likes to touch because some of them are just a PIA to get to.

Evac and charge can be $600 +

Email Sunset Imports with your VIN number and ask for a quote for the AC control Unit (the one with the digits below the radio, it could be you can save yourself a bundle on the hardware
Old 07-08-2014, 07:37 PM
drewcwsj
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just replaced my center console climate control module. The one with the display and the control *****. It was failing and caused my blower fan to run 24x7 even with the car off killing my battery every night. It was around $600 discounted from Sunset.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Thats the one
Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 AM
BobbySpeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hated to do so, but I called a son-in-law of a cousin of my wife who works for an indie.
He said the price was reasonable because it is 10 - 12 hours of work, the part isn't cheap, they have to evac the system, remove the dash and heater core, and is just very labor intensive.
Well, other than gas, tires, brakes, a set of plugs, and a set coils this car has been running like a top. I guess I am due for a repair.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I am sure someone here did the R & R the control unit, and it did not sound like it was that big a job. 03/04 models and lot of problems and they changed those under warranty all the time, mine was done in a morning by the dealer
Old 07-09-2014, 11:59 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

'remove the heater core"?? As mudman2 said the servos are a known weak point and a pain to get at but there is definitely no need to remove the heater core or pull the dash. You can get at them from the sides/underneath on either side. Most problems were with the early ones so I am a little skeptical about the controller and the Servos, and all of the removal. I would take it to the dealer if you don't have Durametric to at least scan it first. Durametric can tell you which if any Servos as well as if the Controller is throwing a fault.
Durametric told me about the two faults I had. One was the fresh air flap Servo which was cheap and easy to replace by the cabin air filter. The other is a Servo motor for the Defrost flap - intermittent. I defrost no problem and it is a pain to get to so I'm saving that one for now. Definitely get a second opinion from a well known Porsche independent or a dealer.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the shop wants to replace the entire air distributor housing, which contains the air flaps. I've never heard of this failing. I guess if he pulled the servo motor out, and was still unable to move the flap by hand, that would mean that it's physically stuck, but again, I've never had that problem. It's almost always been just bad servo motors.
Also, the passenger side temperature blend servo is probably the easiest one to get to.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:50 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
Also, the passenger side temperature blend servo is probably the easiest one to get to.
Mine just went out on me last week. Glad it's the easy one to get to.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 464 Posts

Ugh...

I took a look at this thread out of curiosity, and it reminded me that the servo controlling the footwell flaps in my P!g is long dead.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:09 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbySpeed
Car is in at Indie shop and flaps are stuck and he said it needs a "climate control box".

He gave me a quote that includes labor, a little on the high, of $2000.

Evac and recharge is included, but he is going to try and wire the flaps open for the summer so I can wait on spending all hat money since he says I also need rear brakes.

Anyone been through this???

What to do, what to do???
Original post: Cool air blowing from one side warm air the other

Driver side is blowing fairly cool but passenger side is blowing warm- except on cool days.

Had this problem last year and did an a/c evac and recharge, and a/c blew nice and cold out both sides.

I hear a hissing sound sometimes on the passenger side, and sometimes when a/c is at the coldest setting with fan turned up all the way up there is a kind of ticking rattling sound.
Given that it includes parts, labor, and a charge - that's very reasonable. Problem is - you don't need to pull the heater core or charge it. Even then, the evac and charge from Porsche is around 200 bucks. The labor to pull the dash is definitely lengthy - figure 600-1000 bucks just for that labor. A few servos at retail will be 2-400 bucks. I'd take it somewhere that has done it before since you most certainly don't need to pull the heater core.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

If it were me I would charge more. Removing the dash is not fun, on any car!

Quick Reply: HELP! $2000 for climate control box?