Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Treatment for full leather interior (Not Dressings)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:28 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Leather Treatment for full leather interior (Not Dressings)

Dealer asked if I wanted my car washed and cleaned after some work and I mistakenly said sure. My Cayenne Turbo S with full leather leather came back with shiny plastic look, steering wheel, leather dash, shifter, seats all slick and slimy and slippery. The radio was all tacky and sticky to boot. You get what you pay for.

Me personally, I have an ocd issue with sticky stuff touching my skin and was ready to trade the car in it was so bad to me, felt like I was eating chips and french fries while driving the car and wiping my hands wherever I wanted. I complained, and the answer was wait a few days and the "oil" will evaporate.

Needless to say, I spent a few hours pissed with woolite and water trying to remove the oily goop for 2 hours to no avail off the plastic, vinyl, leather and even the radio screen.

I was even able to find out the stuff was amor all leather wipes which apparently were wiped all over the car. Always been told this stuff is crap in general, and can't believe a Porsche dealership would let someone use it.

Anyways, after spending 4 hours the next day with a 15 year old bottle of lexol leather cleaner I had in my basement from my 944 Turbo days, stuff worked great on everything; wipe, wash, dry, etc.

Anyone recommend a protectant, as I assume I cleaned off whatever the factory applied at this point. I know the lexol stuff is for untreated leather.

I would say my 40k mile car looks better than when I bought it, I assume the car leather was never really cleaned other than wiping (I got it used)

I just want something that leaves nothing behind I can feel or see and helps protect from sun and heat damage. I love the way the car looks now, rich deep black with a matte finish.

Blessing in disguise I guess, first time I scrubbed the crap out of the car on the inside. Both buckets of water came out pretty brown.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:17 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Lexol for the leather.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:30 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the bomb is Sonus cleaner and Sonus conditioner.
I used to have a PDF file from the maker of the stuff. He is a Porsche concours detailed and hates the shiny slippery look. It should be flat like healthy skin.

Here is a thread about it:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/87649-z10-vs-sonus-leather-conditioner/
Old 06-29-2014, 06:36 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Dealer messed up our leather seats by filling all of the perforations in the leather with whatever conditioner the used. We got two new seats out of it, and I do not allow them to clean the inside of the vehicle any longer.

I got Ibex treatment with my M5 an it works well on Merino leather. I have been using Ibex in the CT with excellent results. I have also used the BMW leather conditioner and found that it works well on the Porsche leather (no streaking and not too glossy).
Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Lexol for the leather.
This stuff is amazing. I think it is made from essence of cow.

I took 20 year old 928 seats that were rock hard and made them soft and pliable again. No shiny armorall look. I hate that shiny finish. Looks so bad
Old 06-30-2014, 11:05 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like
Leather Master Car Leather Protection Cream
Old 06-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Leatherique, great product
Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Anyone know where to get touch up colorant for the Chesnut interior option on my 08 CTT? My leather guy says he doesn't know of a source.

TIA!

Best,
TomF
Old 07-01-2014, 02:33 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 108 Posts

Lexol or Connolly Hide Care for feeding / preserving.

I think Leatherique can mix a color to match for your Chestnut interior, but believe they will need a sample. Generally it's possible to snip a bit of a loose flap from under the seat, for example.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering

Quick Reply: Leather Treatment for full leather interior (Not Dressings)