Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gen.1 vs. gen. 2 reliability...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:00 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only motor any any of the years or models that, to me at least, has notable problems is the 955 CS for the scoring problem. It's not just a handful of forum people that have it, and there doesn't seem to be any correlation between how it was used and maintained. It's more a function of climate and the design issue with oil squirters. The 955 CTT, V6, NA V8 in the 957 and up - all pretty reliable motors in the grand scheme of things. Coolant pipes and coils are both 1-time fixes - and those are the only real notable "problems" the the CTT have. There are a lot of other parts that fail from time to time, but nothing super expensive, and nothing that is frequent. I mean, if we're talking a few hundred in engine parts over 100K miles and 10 years, that's pretty awesome.

The 03 and 04 cayenne had a lot of TSB's listed, but many were one time fixes and for narrow VIN ranges. I think by this point, most of the fixes have been dealt with, and it's why I was looking specifically for an 04 with at least 90K miles on it, or an 05/06. But, the 06 CTT is damn close in price to the 957 CTT.

I would put any of the CTT's in the category of reliable, both on it's own and when compared to many of the other Porsche cars. There is definitely more to go wrong than on a 997, but in reality people just don't end up spending a lot on parts failures. For comparison, my wife's 04 Murano was purchased with 100K miles, single owner, and a local car. It has 140K on it now, and she commutes 25 miles on almost 100% smooth interstate with no stop and go traffic. To date, we've spent 5500 on it.

The 957 is more reliable, but honestly you'd probably not notice it given when you'll end up spending on gas and insurance. The chassis, driveline, interior, and general motor design are all the same. Many of the reoccurring failures will happen on the 957 (control arms, drive shaft, etc). The 958 is quite a bit different, but has the same turbo V8 that's in the 957. I don't really know much about the reliability of the 958.

04 CTT - best value on the market. 20K gets you a solid, well optioned, and well sorted car.
06 CTT - the most reliable, has backup cam, can get a pano roof, and a few other minor features, but it's quite a bit more expensive than an 04, and close enough in price to an 08 that it's not a great buy IMO.
08 CTT - it's a face lifted 955. motor is a bit different (larger and direct injection), but the performance is close enough with a 955 to not make it a reason to buy. It does come with PDCC, which helps in handling, but again, not enough to really justify the cost over an 04. The looks, to me at least, are the biggest reason for the 957, and that's obviously subjective.
958 - same motor as the 957, and when you think about it, that either says a lot about the 955 given how little it's changed, or it doesn't say much about the 958. The interior is the biggest reason for the 958 as it's worlds better than the 957. But, the 958 doesn't have a lot of the trick off-roading equipment, and that'll either be a blessing to you as you get a lighter vehicle, or it'll suck if you do use the low-range. But, the 958 Turbo is still quite expensive compared to an 04.

I think the performance difference between an 958 and 955 CTT in a straight line isn't actually a lot. You can tune a 955 to be close, if not exceed, a 958. 958 handles better and has a nicer interior, too. But, reliability and cost of maintenance are all pretty low and shouldn't be a deciding factor for you since the small uptick in reliability you get in an 06 or 957 is not off-set by the premiums they demand. When you look at a land rover or range rover, which year you get can make a huge difference in the cost of ownership since they're not exactly reliable. Same with looking at some of the air-cooled pcars. But, there is no single reliability issue that stands out in any of the Turbos that would make you want one year over another. I bought my 04 CTT and will have put about 1600 into it to get it up to my standards. This included full fluid changes to Redline (including the tranny fluid and filters), hatch struts, control arms and alignment, a few preventative maintenance things (diverter valves, air filters, cabin filter, etc), and new wiper arms since mine lost their tension to hold the wiper against the windshield. I anticipate that I won't be spending much but gas, tires, and brakes for the next few years as even the parts that might fail aren't that expensive. My "reliable" '88 911 through 200K miles averaged about 1400 per year in parts and labor. That's with a tranny rebuild and a top-end. I anticipate the CTT to be substantially lower than that.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:57 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reliability of Gen 1 varies across the years. The later the better. I would recommend the last of the Gen 1's - '06 model year. Also, with the age of these cars by now, there's a trade-off between fancy options vs. reliability. If you don't get Panoramic roof, PCM, and air suspension, you're already way ahead of the game. The rest of the issues are well known; will happen on every car. Here's the short list:
1. Plastic coolant pipes bursting ($1500 if done proactively; $2200 if done after bursting)
2. Cardan Shaft (basically drive shaft) support breaking up, thereby killing the drive shaft
3. Xenon light beam adjustment error
4. Rear hatch strut going out (replacement requires dismantling interior trims in the back; ~ 2 hrs to replace)
5. Ignition coils (8 of them) burning out about every 50K miles

Otherwise, running costs are primarily the following (Likely to be the same across generations):
1) Brake drums and rotors about every 35K miles. Most places charges $2200 - $2400
2) Tires need replacement every 15K-35K miles, depending on the brand
3) Brake fluid flush every couple of years (not too expensive)
4) Lots of gasoline

Last edited by racer_65; 06-11-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:51 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Probably from the same place that helps seafeye believe that the 996 is a POS

There are a few well known and overblown issues that are easy to address and avoid catastrophic failure. Otherwise they are both good strong vehicles that will provide a long life of fun.
Ask Jake how many 986/996's are sitting on his lot because of a IMS doomed engine.
The Data for those cars needing new engines isn't accurate because of Porsche refusal to release it. I can tell you that in my small circle of 986/996 friends 8 out of 11 cars are on 2nd engines. My 986 had a dealer reman at 29,000mls. My Cayenne S is at 90,000 and is running strong.
Drive shaft, fuel leak and coolant tubes are the only major items repaired.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by racer_65
Reliability of Gen 1 various across the years. The later the better. I would recommend the last of the Gen 1's - '06 model year. Also, with the age of these cars by now, there's a trade-off between fancy options vs. reliability. If you don't get Panoramic roof, PCM, and air suspension, you're already way ahead of the game. The rest of the issues are well known; will happen on every car. Here's the short list:
1. Plastic coolant pipes bursting ($1500 if done proactively; $2200 if done after bursting)
2. Cardan Shaft (basically drive shaft) support breaking up, thereby killing the drive shaft
3. Xenon light beam adjustment error
4. Rear hatch strut going out (replacement requires dismantling interior trims in the back; ~ 2 hrs to replace)
5. Ignition coils (8 of them) burning out about every 50K miles

Otherwise, running costs are primarily the following (Likely to be the same across generations):
1) Brake drums and rotors about every 35K miles. Most places charges $2200 - $2400
2) Tires need replacement every 15K-35K miles, depending on the brand
3) Brake fluid flush every couple of years (not too expensive)
4) Lots of gasoline
Thanks, that helps a lot!
Old 06-12-2014, 06:36 AM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my 957 GTS. Have had no issues over the last few years other than a sticky brake caliper. Traded a full-size Range Rover in on it and never looked back. I hardly drive my 997 because of it.

Last edited by svb; 06-25-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Both are the same, with the Turbo models engines being the most reliable. Personally I like the rear of the 955 better also the Turbos come with a lot more things that make the interior nicer. I love mine. I got rear ended and it's in the shop getting fixed, they gave me a 957 Cayenne to drive. I don't think has even one option. Boy does it ever suck, slow no power, suspension sucks, it's too high and the automatic shifting is terrible, interior is terrible and electronics are terrible.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by seafeye
Ask Jake how many 986/996's are sitting on his lot because of a IMS doomed engine.
The Data for those cars needing new engines isn't accurate because of Porsche refusal to release it. I can tell you that in my small circle of 986/996 friends 8 out of 11 cars are on 2nd engines. My 986 had a dealer reman at 29,000mls. My Cayenne S is at 90,000 and is running strong.
Drive shaft, fuel leak and coolant tubes are the only major items repaired.
That's a lot (8 out of 10). I know more 986/996 people, but nowhere near that same ratio of failures... Perhaps luck of the draw.

I just replaced a perfect IMS bearing on my Boxster as a precaution. That 10 year old car has been very reliable.

Yes, the M96 has some issues, but I agree that the internet has blown things out of proportion (as it has for early Cayennes).
Old 06-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Not to drift too far away from the Cayenne discussion... My 996 C4S is the most reliable car I've ever owned. I did have the IMSB replaced as preventative maintenance at ~120K miles when the original clutch was changed. There was no sign of impending failure when the original bearing was removed.

FWIW - I know dozens of 996 and 986 owners. I don't think I know of one instance of an IMSB failure or an engine replacement.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:02 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Not to drift too far away from the Cayenne discussion... My 996 C4S is the most reliable car I've ever owned. I did have the IMSB replaced as preventative maintenance at ~120K miles when the original clutch was changed. There was no sign of impending failure when the original bearing was removed.

FWIW - I know dozens of 996 and 986 owners. I don't think I know of one instance of an IMSB failure or an engine replacement.
Your lucky then I know around 18 996 owners and 13 are on there second engine. Mostly scored cylinders only 2 because of IMS. Also know 4 997's and 2 Caymans because of scored cylinders. The 996 people I know that are on there first engine don't winter drive it or track their car.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:29 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Your lucky then I know around 18 996 owners and 13 are on there second engine. Mostly scored cylinders only 2 because of IMS. Also know 4 997's and 2 Caymans because of scored cylinders. The 996 people I know that are on there first engine don't winter drive it or track their car.
Out of all those, what did their mileage vs age look like at the time the damage occurred? From everything I've read it seems to be the low mileage "garage queens" that have the catastrophic failures. Seems to be once the engine passes the the 50-70k mark it's pretty "safe".

You definitely seem to know an inordinate number of failed motors and I'm not going to try to discount that, but your experience definitely doesn't fit norm of what most people report. I'm not arguing that the IMS isn't an issue, just that it is a much over hyped issue and an easy one to mitigate (treat it as consumable and change it with your clutch).
Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Wow... 13 out of 18 would scare me too!
Old 06-12-2014, 01:37 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gnat
Out of all those, what did their mileage vs age look like at the time the damage occurred? From everything I've read it seems to be the low mileage "garage queens" that have the catastrophic failures. Seems to be once the engine passes the the 50-70k mark it's pretty "safe".

You definitely seem to know an inordinate number of failed motors and I'm not going to try to discount that, but your experience definitely doesn't fit norm of what most people report. I'm not arguing that the IMS isn't an issue, just that it is a much over hyped issue and an easy one to mitigate (treat it as consumable and change it with your clutch).
Ya I been going to cars and coffee for awhile now and also been tracking for a number of years. As high as 200k km on the latest one to go with scored cylinders. I think the region I live in sees more of these issues if the car is winter driven.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

come one, that's just hyperbole! Maybe the people you know are the very unlucky ones... the failure rate is more at around 10% ... anyways, back to Cayenne!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:06 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Both are the same, with the Turbo models engines being the most reliable. Personally I like the rear of the 955 better also the Turbos come with a lot more things that make the interior nicer. I love mine. I got rear ended and it's in the shop getting fixed, they gave me a 957 Cayenne to drive. I don't think has even one option. Boy does it ever suck, slow no power, suspension sucks, it's too high and the automatic shifting is terrible, interior is terrible and electronics are terrible.
So, Turbo actually more reliable than V8? That's quite strange as isn't Turbo just the same V8s with added complexity of turbos and piping? I would have guessed it to be the opposite!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:15 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexb76
So, Turbo actually more reliable than V8? That's quite strange as isn't Turbo just the same V8s with added complexity of turbos and piping? I would have guessed it to be the opposite!
It has extra oiling that squirt oil and tolerances are more relaxed.

Quick Reply: gen.1 vs. gen. 2 reliability...