Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and thinking of a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 12:09 PM
jimmiepop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pardon my ignorance but Ive figured out "955" refers to the Cayenne but is "TT" referring to the (twin?) turbo?
955 is the first gen Cayenne; 2003-2006. Yes; TT is twin turbo

To clarify - you are referring to "miles" and not "kilometres"?
Confirmed.

I agree with your sentiment from my research - the Turbo (& V6) uses Nikasil coatings on the bore which the other models do not which makes them largely trouble free from the cylinder bore issues
My understanding, from those more knowledgable than I, is that the issue is diminished piston clearance in cold weather due to the difference in the coefficient of expansion of the piston and cylinder materials. You probably already read these, but a couple relevant threads are -

https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=801417
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=799450

Jake at Flat6 is the resident expert; and extremely helpful. (https://rennlist.com/rennforums/member.php?u=91015)

The list of "standard repairs" you mention - where can I find that?
The stickies at the top of the forum. (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayenne-forum-77/)

My short lists were -

Repair Inventory
Coolant pipe (MUST be replaced/upgraded; $1800)
If replaced, was it replaced before it blew?
Front Transmission Seal ($2000; likely if coolant pipe blew before replacement)
Cardan Shaft ($800)
Water Pump
Fuel Pump
Rear Turbo Pipes
Control Arms
Coils
Air Compressor
Hood Struts
Rear Hatch Struts
Horn
PCM
DME Transmission Control Unit

PPI
Cardan Shaft ($800)
What would it need to pass the Next (likely 80K) Porsche Scheduled Maintenance
Compression Test / Leak Down

I live in a cold climate and need to be sure that does not present any additional technical problems when the temperatures take a nosedive (the X5 was a disaster in the cold temps)

I installed an oil pan heater the X5 which probably helped and would install a block heater on any potential purchase for sure, but the problem I had was that the vehicle sat outside all day (not plugged in) and it always failed on my drive home so I need to be sure that the Porsche would not freeze up like the X5.
My understanding is that there is a very strong positive correlation between cold winter temperatures (and the consequent cold starts, where engine damage occurs) and piston scoring in the V8. Scoring seems to be rare, but does occur, even with the turbo, and at $30k for a rebuild, strikes me as a nontrivial consideration. After considerable research, I decided that the purchase risk could be largely mitigated by purchasing a car from a warm climate and purchasing a turbo (greater piston clearance). I also invested in a full PPI, including compression test and leakdown.

The best solution I found for operating in a cold climate was the webasto parking heater (here and here. I believe that I recall reading that this was an option on the the euro models, and perhaps in the U.S. also. In several months of shopping, I did not come across a single U.S. Cayenne with the parking heater. I believe that Webasto sells an aftermarket parking heater for the Cayenne in CA, UK, and EU, but not the US.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fwiw, some of those items listed above are fairly easy DiY for a fraction of the cost listed.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

No issue with cold here, and i don't have a block heater. I have an '06 TT with E-81 powerkit and 255,000km's, spent all it's life in Alberta commuting between Calgary and Grande Prarie. I my 8 months of ownership i've only replaced the transmission seal, everything else had been done.

As long as you know it's been looked after, you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brit6
I own a X5 3.0i and a Cayenne Turbo, I really can't say that the Cayenne is any more reliable than the X5, each have their share of common problems.

Yes Sniffer you don't have to worry about the oil separator freezing like you do on the X5, I had that problem once before.

I do find the suspension on the Cayenne a little beefier and not as fragile as the X5, I run winter tires on both SUVs, it's like night and day with them.

I would find a used 955 Turbo that has updated coolant pipes, coils, coil packs, rear hatch struts, cardan shaft (another name for drive shaft, there is a center support bearing that fails often with the amount of power it takes).

Take a look at the suspension (front lower control arms, upper control arms, rear lower and upper arms,etc) and make sure nothing is seized for alignment, I had to replace almost all of mine as the bolts were seized in the bushings from our salty winters.

These SUVs like to eat tires and brakes, but you are probably used to that with the X5.
On the 6 cylinder 3.0i X5? Sounds like that "issue" affects ALL X5s

Another vote for the Turbo variant - I think thats the direction I`m headed
Old 06-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terlingua racer
Sniffer, 955 is early cayennes(->2006) ,957 next gen (2007->2010) 958( 2011 ->) and you are correct on TT.
I didnt know that - I had read the sticky about the years but it made no sense until I saw this - thanks for the info
Old 06-10-2014, 01:47 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
I've had a 05 X5 w/ 4.6 and now have a 06' Cayenne S and the CS is (kock on wood) WAY more reliable than the X5 was. I actually liked the X5 better to be honest, but the CS corners better and I don't get nervous every time I start it.
And don't get me started on the Range Rovers I've owned. All I can say is it's a darn good thing I don't take my cars in to get worked on. I'd have had to sold my house off to pay for the repairs.
I know that feeling!

Its reassuring to hear that from someone who's had both - whatever I get next reliability needs to be significantly improved over the X5 and it sounds like the Porsche fits the bill

I had heard Range Rovers were a bit of a disaster zone - my father in law had a Land Rover Discovery (which is very similar under the skin apparently) and it was a money pit
Old 06-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtnrat
The Turbo S has larger intercoolers, larger front 2 piece brakes and a tune which results in 520hp. THey were only available 2006 and later. Except for the similar E81 pkg.
Here is some info on the coolant Ts.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...t-crapola.html

As for the cold. Mine came from Edmonton and is now in the Rockies. I now have 180000km and never a cold issue.
Good info - and another point that needs to be checked when searching for the "one"
Old 06-10-2014, 02:03 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
Seems like the most misinformed post I've seen yet

FWIW, there are several 300-350k MILE 955 Turbos floating around on this forum,

The turbos have proven to be the most reliable of the bunch. In over 6 years of reading the Cayenne section nearly daily, I can remember *maybe* one topic on a failed Turbocharger.....and that might of been a shady mechanic selling his services.

The Turbos also come with more options than the average non-turbo so your bang for the buck used goes much further.
I`m glad I stuck around - the Nissan wasn't an option though…..

Those are impressive mileages and more like what Ive came to expect from previous German vehicles that have been looked after

By all accounts the Turbo is the one to have, good build quality, most "oomph" and a high spec as standard

Whats not to like? Except the thirst…. Just how bad is it?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:06 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Seems like the most misinformed post I've seen yet

FWIW, there are several 300-350k MILE 955 Turbos floating around on this forum,

The turbos have proven to be the most reliable of the bunch. In over 6 years of reading the Cayenne section nearly daily, I can remember *maybe* one topic on a failed Turbocharger.....and that might of been a shady mechanic selling his services.

The Turbos also come with more options than the average non-turbo so your bang for the buck used goes much further.
Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
I disagree too. There are several very nice 957 GTS for sale right now for $30k-ish. I bought a very nice one for $32k three months ago and am lovin it. 100% of Porsche body and structural steel is fully hot-dip galvanized on both sides, so they are ling lasting in the snow belts.
Interesting - can I ask how many miles out of curiosity?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:09 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimmiepop

Confirmed.

My understanding, from those more knowledgable than I, is that the issue is diminished piston clearance in cold weather due to the difference in the coefficient of expansion of the piston and cylinder materials. You probably already read these, but a couple relevant threads are -

Jake at Flat6 is the resident expert; and extremely helpful. (https://rennlist.com/rennforums/member.php?u=91015)

The stickies at the top of the forum. (https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayenne-forum-77/)

My short lists were -

Repair Inventory
Cardan Shaft ($800)
Water Pump
Fuel Pump
Rear Turbo Pipes
Control Arms
Coils
Air Compressor
Hood Struts
Rear Hatch Struts
Horn
PCM

PPI
Cardan Shaft ($800)

My understanding is that there is a very strong positive correlation between cold winter temperatures (and the consequent cold starts, where engine damage occurs) and piston scoring in the V8. Scoring seems to be rare, but does occur, even with the turbo, and at $30k for a rebuild, strikes me as a nontrivial consideration. After considerable research, I decided that the purchase risk could be largely mitigated by purchasing a car from a warm climate and purchasing a turbo (greater piston clearance). I also invested in a full PPI, including compression test and leakdown.

The best solution I found for operating in a cold climate was the webasto parking heater (here and here. I believe that I recall reading that this was an option on the the euro models, and perhaps in the U.S. also. In several months of shopping, I did not come across a single U.S. Cayenne with the parking heater. I believe that Webasto sells an aftermarket parking heater for the Cayenne in CA, UK, and EU, but not the US.
LOADS of good info there - that`ll keep me out of mischief for a while

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:13 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Fwiw, some of those items listed above are fairly easy DiY for a fraction of the cost listed.
I`m pretty competent with the wrenches so thats something I may dabble with (time permitting)

Are we talking swapping the coolant pipes and Ts etc or something else?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:20 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschefan931
No issue with cold here, and i don't have a block heater. I have an '06 TT with E-81 powerkit and 255,000km's, spent all it's life in Alberta commuting between Calgary and Grande Prarie. I my 8 months of ownership i've only replaced the transmission seal, everything else had been done.

As long as you know it's been looked after, you shouldn't have any issues.
Wow, having been to both Calgary and Grande Prairie thats a long commute, and the roads at GP leave a lot to be desired….

So is it worth getting a mechanical inspection done on any potential purchases to weed out the gremlins? Is that normal or not?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

I've owned a lot cars, and "reliability" is a highly subjective term. I think most people associate that word with "cheap to operate." So, while the Cayenne is actually quite reliable, it's not exactly "cheap" to operate. When you combine the insurance costs, frequency of tire and brake replacements, gas mileage, and average cost of the few parts you might have to replace, I would guess you'll spend more on a Cayenne than you will on the X5. That will be especially true if you aren't in the DIY camp for maintenance. For me, though, reliable needs to be combined with capability and how complicated the car is. I've owned 3 hondas, and I replaced head gaskets, exhaust manifolds, window regulators, various interior back lighting, axles, stuck calipers, and a plethora of other parts that were cheap to buy, and cheap to have someone replace them. You can drive those cars knowing they have issues, and it's totally fine. People associate those cars with the term "reliable." To me, the Cayenne is more "reliable" but not as cheap to own. It's 450 HP, goes off-road better than most SUVs, handles as good as a B6 S4, tons of technology in it, and it's built like a tank from a safety standpoint. My guess is that if you buy one that's well maintained, you'll have fewer problems than an X5, but the problems you do have won't be as cheap to fix.

The Cayenne S is has the V8 with the scoring problems. The GTS and Turbo don't have those issues.

Coolant pipes are a 1-time fix
Driveshaft to the rear diff (cardan shaft) is anywhere from 400-1200 for the shaft, and a few hundred in labor if you don't do it yourself (it's pretty easy to DIY). This is every 60-100K miles as it's a wear item
Brakes are every 20-40K miles and are roughly 1500 in parts to do all wheels
Tires 20-30K miles and prices are all over the place
Front lower Control Amrs: 580 for the arms and hardware, and can be a DIY project as it's pretty straight forward. Figure another 200 for an alignment. Or, 12-1400 total price to have a dealer or shop do it (parts and labor). Those seem to fail around 100K miles. Again - this is a wear item, not a problem area.
Coolant fittings (2 T-fittings on back of motor). They're plastic and will eventually fail. Cheap to replace, but hard to get at.
Rear hatch struts seem to fail every 6+ years with 60k+ miles. 150 in parts and not a fun DIY, but not bad, either.

That's it for the "common" issues. Less common, but still kind of common

Transmission Valve body - $650 for a rebuilt unit and it's an easy DIY. Otherwise figure $400 in labor. More common on the 04-05 models.
Transfer Case Stepper motor: a small electric motor that's roughly $500 to replace. Super easy DIY.
PCM display: can have them repaired for a few hundred, or replaced with new for a few hundred more.

The motor itself is pretty solid. You don't often hear about turbo failures, block issues, or accessory failures - at least on the Turbo. Air Suspension is solid - rarely hear of issues aside from the bump needing a rebuild (cheap and easy to do). Interior holds up really well without any squeaks or rattles. On the turbo, part of this is because everything is leather - dash, door cards, everything. I believe these are options on the GTS and S. The driveline is pretty reliable, I would say. And, if you do have a diff or tranny failure (complete failure), there are plenty of cayenne in salvage yards to get a newer part used.

I like the GTS, but it's still slotted somewhere between a CS and Turbo. The interiors can seem spartan on the GTS if they're not well optioned. They look nice, and I think that's the biggest reason to get one. The Turbo is faster, gas mileage is the exact same, and it has more standard features than the GTS. I would go with the Turbo. Sure, it's a bit more complicated, but not by much. And, the additional maintenance it might need will fall well within a reasonable range of the GTS. Gas and insurance will be your two biggest expenses. My 04 CTT was purchased with 100K on the clock, and I spent 1600 in parts to get it up to speed. That's a complete fluid change with redline fluids (engine and full driveline), plus replacing a few parts, the most expensive being the control arms. For comparison, my wife's 04 Murano was purchased with 99K miles about 3 years ago, currently it has 138K miles, and we've spent nearly 6K on it. I paid 19.8 for my car. You should be able to find an 04 Turbo in the 18-23K price range. The cars I saw below 18K were either really high mileage, or had issues. Nothing wrong with high mileage, but for some reason there are far more clapped out Turbos than there should be. Even some of the Turbos I saw at Porsche dealers were in rough shape, and headed to auction if they didn't sell.

All the big ticket common part failures that are reoccurring are on both the Turbo and GTS. Cardan shaft, tires, brakes, hatch struts.

Some turbo cars are notoriously expensive to own. I would put the CTT near the top of the list for well-built cars that are in this high-performance SUV category.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sniffer
Wow, having been to both Calgary and Grande Prairie thats a long commute, and the roads at GP leave a lot to be desired….

So is it worth getting a mechanical inspection done on any potential purchases to weed out the gremlins? Is that normal or not?
I would get an inspection at a shop that knows them unless you have your own durametric cable to scan the car. They're like $350, I think.

But, if you have the cable to scan them, and you know how to check for the common issues (clunking of control arms and the car will usually pull, especially under hard braking), and you have a good eye for inspecting things, then you could bypass a PPI if the car is local to you. But, the owner would need all records, you would need a durametric cable, and you'd need to have an OK idea on what to look for. Otherwise, do the PPI for good measure.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:24 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jimmiepop

Confirmed.

My short lists were -

Repair Inventory
Cardan Shaft ($800)
Water Pump
Fuel Pump
Rear Turbo Pipes
Control Arms
Coils
Air Compressor
Hood Struts
Rear Hatch Struts
Horn
PCM

PPI
Cardan Shaft ($800)

Don't forget that the Turbo has an piston skirt oil squirter that the CS V8 folks don't have. This combined with the forge vs cast piston is what also contributes to the scoring. I've heard of blocks on the Turbo failing, but it's not for the same reason that the CS blocks get scored. Even then, the Turbo failures seem to be on par with just about any car having a major block failure. I think I could count 3 that I remember on the forums.

Good driving habits, proper oil, and staying on top of maintenance should ensure that your Turbo motor lasts far longer than you'll likely ever have the car.

Quick Reply: New and thinking of a Cayenne