Sponsored by:

Coolant T Crapola

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Coolant T Crapola

I am pretty sure my coolant T went. The pipes had been changed by the previous owner, but not the coolant T. I was going back and forth packing the first snowfall down to give me a good base to scrape against with my bobcat. I do this for the first snowfall of every year. Usually use my landcruiser, but I was in the CTT so... I am going back and forth thinking this is likely not the best vehicle for this and make one last pass and pull into the shed and crap, steam and coolant smell. Turn it off and look under and coolant is a coming out the back of the engine area. I don't know of any other coolant source that it could be. I am going in now to get after it. What gaskets etc will I need seeing as i am not doing a complete coolant pipe replacement?
Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to read this. Good news is that it was in your garage.

You'll need two manifold gaskets and the TWO T's. One big down low and one smaller on top.

You still have time to get an order in today. I buy my parts at Sunset Porsche in Oregon.

Email andraya.hayward@sunsetimports.com with your VIN and your project and she'll get back to you with what I've found to be the best pricing and lowest shipping.

Beware with the pets, if you have any. The coolant tastes like pancake syrup to them and it is DEADLY poison to them... plus renal failure is a horrible way to die.

Ooops. Just realized that your rockies are Canadian. So, you're probably better off shopping in country.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Had my '06TT done years ago as a preventative at the dealer while on warranty, we split the cost which was real cool of them, before everyone knew about always doing the 'T's at the same time so mine weren't done either. I know I'll have to do the 'T's myself eventually. I'll probably look for Stainless 'T's or Brass 'T's as alternatives to new OEM plastic 'T's when it's time.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

JohnnyBahamas, I get most of my parts from the US as I live close to the Montana Border. I emailed Andraya with my situation late this afternoon. Should hear from her tomorrow. The only bummer is I have no heat where am working on the car. Not like I haven't done that a million times before. It is amazing what a couple of tarps and a ceramic heater will do. I could push/pull it into a shop at my neighbours. The shop is about 1000 feet away from the car now. HMM, I guess I could just pull it there in neutral?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

I got a PIWIS TSI account as described in the coolant pipe sticky. I can download the manuals, but get no pictures which are needed to understand the instructions.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:29 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I got a PIWIS TSI account as described in the coolant pipe sticky. I can download the manuals, but get no pictures which are needed to understand the instructions.
You need to use IE on windows and install the ancient Adobe plugin.

It would be nice if Porsche would pull their thumb out and join this century...
Old 11-05-2013, 12:36 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

lol, I think the thumb is firmly implanted.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:12 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by gnat
You need to use IE on windows and install the ancient Adobe plugin.

It would be nice if Porsche would pull their thumb out and join this century...
+1

.pdf files would be really nice Porsche.

Simple .pdf
Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

I got it. but I also found a great DIY at ECS tuning. The link to the DIY is just below the price on the coolant pipe kit page. http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2501060/ I assume it is ok to link as they are a vendor here.
I went in and yep the T is busted.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:41 PM
mdl04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That DIY mentions nothing about the T.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
+1

.pdf files would be really nice Porsche.

Simple .pdf
Ugh. That's just more Adobe bloat. How about simple PNG files? That's a well known standard that any modern browser can display and the tools to build them are freely available. They could even watermark them on the fly for each request without impacting performance too much (since we aren't talking about millions of hits an hour here). PNGs would also be lower bandwidth and take less compute cycles on the client side so the shops that haven't upgraded their computer since the turn of the century and still have slow internet would have a better experience.

Hmm, maybe I should offer them my services. Think they'd just pay me in Porsches?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:16 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdl04
That DIY mentions nothing about the T.
Nope, but if you go to page 14 in the coolant thread there is some info. I will post some pictures. The two Ts are pretty obvious once the intake and rear coolant pipe hold down are out.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:24 PM
mdl04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer couldn't even tell me if they did the t or not…lol. I even gave them the part numbers. They got very defensive really quick…it was kind of odd.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by gnat
Ugh. That's just more Adobe bloat. How about simple PNG files? That's a well known standard that any modern browser can display and the tools to build them are freely available. They could even watermark them on the fly for each request without impacting performance too much (since we aren't talking about millions of hits an hour here). PNGs would also be lower bandwidth and take less compute cycles on the client side so the shops that haven't upgraded their computer since the turn of the century and still have slow internet would have a better experience.

Hmm, maybe I should offer them my services. Think they'd just pay me in Porsches?
.png !

That's what I meant.

Simple .png files.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:44 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

My Coolant pipes were done by the previous owner. Not the Ts though. The part numbers for the Ts were not listed on the invoice. I had planned to preemptively do them, but they didn't let me. Luckily it was in my driveway. Here are a couple of pics of the T that is broken. On the second pic you can see where the hose is kinked over where the T is busted. The second one is just to the right out of sight IIRC.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Coolant T Crapola