Sponsored by:

New and thinking of a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
If you find a Cayenne that has been properly maintained, then you can find a good car for under $30K, especially a Cayenne S.

My 2004 CS has ~140K mikes on the odometer and it has been very reliable.
My thoughts exactly

Porsche (like all German cars but possibly more-so) strikes me as being the typical premium German product with solid engineering so the longevity should be good

I sense initial depreciation on these cars is pretty high which plays into someone in my positions hands but if the problem areas have been addressed and the maintenance has been properly looked after then it should still be a decent bet
Old 06-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimmiepop
The 955TT is the best value I have been able to identify in the used SUV market. They are selling in the $18-22 range with 65-75k miles and many owners have 140k+ miles. I paid $19 for mine with 71k. The biggest risk of purchase is piston scoring. This is mitigated by purchasing a turbo that has not seen cold weather starts. There is a list of standard repairs these cars typically have before 75k miles (found on this site) for which you would want to screen. If you live in a cold climate, you may want to look into an after market block heater. I believe the block heater was a euro option, maybe US too, but rare. Great daily driver. Blast to drive. Low acquisition cost. Potential for e35 type longevity. Go for it!
Pardon my ignorance but Ive figured out "955" refers to the Cayenne but is "TT" referring to the (twin?) turbo?

To clarify - you are referring to "miles" and not "kilometres"?

I agree with your sentiment from my research - the Turbo (& V6) uses Nikasil coatings on the bore which the other models do not which makes them largely trouble free from the cylinder bore issues

The list of "standard repairs" you mention - where can I find that?

I live in a cold climate and need to be sure that does not present any additional technical problems when the temperatures take a nosedive (the X5 was a disaster in the cold temps)

I installed an oil pan heater the X5 which probably helped and would install a block heater on any potential purchase for sure, but the problem I had was that the vehicle sat outside all day (not plugged in) and it always failed on my drive home so I need to be sure that the Porsche would not freeze up like the X5

Last edited by Sniffer; 06-08-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mk85911
I came out of a 2004 x5. It was nice in many ways, but the repair costs were getting out of hand. I love the CS; it is better than the x5 except the six cylinder engine on the x5 is smoother than the cayanne v6.
Totally out of hand for me too - I like the vehicle but have zero faith in it anymore
Old 06-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtnrat
Since you live where it gets cold, get a turbo. They have oil squirters for each piston. As for the common issues which most cayennes already have addressed:
Coolant pipes
Coolant Ts on turbos
Coil packs
Drive shaft

For under 30k you have the pick of the litter for 04-06 turbo. Look for a low mileage Turbo S that is still in your budget. Vroom Vroom.
Thanks mtnrat - Vroom Vroom indeed!

I had narrowed my choice down to a Turbo or GTS but while the Turbo has got to be mechanically more complicated (more to go wrong - particularly turbos) than the non turbo GTS it sounds like its still the better bet

I hadn't heard about the coolant T on the Turbo - can you elaborate?

Whats the difference between a Turbo and a Turbo S?
Old 06-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

So can anyone clarify if the 4.8 GTS has the trouble free Nikasil cylinder coating like the Turbo and the V6s or not?
Old 06-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I haven't had that issue. I've replaced the common failure items like the coolant pipes, cardan shaft, coils, water pump, fuel pump, horns, etc. Many of those were replaced under warranty.

The Cayenne has been a very solid vehicle overall.
Is the "Cardan Shaft" a drive shaft? How does it fail? Worn out splines?
Old 06-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RESP
We had the chance to pick up our Cayenne in Leipzig with the factory tour.
I don't think you get "Friday afternoon" cars with Porsche

Mind you, the X5 is built in Sou' Carolina, if I remember correctly....
Is the factory setup that good?

I`ve had times where I`ve wondered if the X5 was built in the dark with some of the issues Ive had
Old 06-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RESP
We haven't had any issues with cold temps.

Part of my travels take me up to Fort Mac and over to Toon Town in the deep winter.
After a night sitting out in the -40's she starts up without a whimper.
Quickly warms up and handles everything we throw at her.
We don't have any add on warming devices like battery blankets or oil warmers.

I should be crossing the 150k mark by month 36
Yep, me too - I spend around two thirds of my time up that direction, I actually head back up there tomorrow although I always fly (the roads north of Fort Mac where I am are pretty horrible) - the car stays down here with Wifey

So the Cayenne handles the cold just fine? Thats encouraging. I assume its sure footed in the snow too? Do you run winter & summer tyres or all seasons?
Old 06-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Terlingua racer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sniffer, 955 is early cayennes(->2006) ,957 next gen (2007->2010) 958( 2011 ->) and you are correct on TT.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a X5 3.0i and a Cayenne Turbo, I really can't say that the Cayenne is any more reliable than the X5, each have their share of common problems.

Yes Sniffer you don't have to worry about the oil separator freezing like you do on the X5, I had that problem once before.

I do find the suspension on the Cayenne a little beefier and not as fragile as the X5, I run winter tires on both SUVs, it's like night and day with them.

I would find a used 955 Turbo that has updated coolant pipes, coils, coil packs, rear hatch struts, cardan shaft (another name for drive shaft, there is a center support bearing that fails often with the amount of power it takes).

Take a look at the suspension (front lower control arms, upper control arms, rear lower and upper arms,etc) and make sure nothing is seized for alignment, I had to replace almost all of mine as the bolts were seized in the bushings from our salty winters.

These SUVs like to eat tires and brakes, but you are probably used to that with the X5.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:45 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

The Turbo S has larger intercoolers, larger front 2 piece brakes and a tune which results in 520hp. THey were only available 2006 and later. Except for the similar E81 pkg.
Here is some info on the coolant Ts.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...t-crapola.html

As for the cold. Mine came from Edmonton and is now in the Rockies. I now have 180000km and never a cold issue.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:31 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had a 05 X5 w/ 4.6 and now have a 06' Cayenne S and the CS is (kock on wood) WAY more reliable than the X5 was. I actually liked the X5 better to be honest, but the CS corners better and I don't get nervous every time I start it.
And don't get me started on the Range Rovers I've owned. All I can say is it's a darn good thing I don't take my cars in to get worked on. I'd have had to sold my house off to pay for the repairs.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:58 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dntlvet
For 30K you will not find a reliable Cayenne GTS or Turbo.
For 30K I'd look at the Nissan Murano.

Cayenne or Murano will be more reliable than the X5
Seems like the most misinformed post I've seen yet

Originally Posted by inviktus
??? 955 Turbos are <20k depending on mileage, and there are many, many 150k+ mile Turbos running around, which indicates good general population durability. Not sure if I agree with your statement.
FWIW, there are several 300-350k MILE 955 Turbos floating around on this forum,

Originally Posted by Sniffer
I had narrowed my choice down to a Turbo or GTS but while the Turbo has got to be mechanically more complicated (more to go wrong - particularly turbos) than the non turbo GTS it sounds like its still the better bet
The turbos have proven to be the most reliable of the bunch. In over 6 years of reading the Cayenne section nearly daily, I can remember *maybe* one topic on a failed Turbocharger.....and that might of been a shady mechanic selling his services.

The Turbos also come with more options than the average non-turbo so your bang for the buck used goes much further.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

"For 30K you will not find a reliable Cayenne GTS or Turbo."

Good catch Cole. I did not notice the "not" in that sentence. That is totally false!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:47 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 312 Posts

I disagree too. There are several very nice 957 GTS for sale right now for $30k-ish. I bought a very nice one for $32k three months ago and am lovin it. 100% of Porsche body and structural steel is fully hot-dip galvanized on both sides, so they are ling lasting in the snow belts.

Quick Reply: New and thinking of a Cayenne