Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone moving to a Range Rover Sport (RRS)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:30 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone moving to a Range Rover Sport (RRS)?

I (my wife really) have a 2011 Cayenne that is coming out of lease right now. I was hoping to get in a Macan but when it showed up it was really too small. So small that it made it impossible for a normal family to go golfing... I know that I should not have been surprised but anyway, now I need a replacement for the Cayenne and I'm loathe to get another Cayenne since nothing has changed on it and there is a face lift coming in the next few months. I've looked at the usual suspects: X5, ML, GL, Q7, and ultimately the 2014 RRS which I really like.
It costs about the same as a Cayenne S in V6 spec and a V8 is less than a Turbo and has 500 HP and is truly amazing to drive...
I am close to pulling the trigger but was looking for real like experience before doing so. Anyone got input?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:56 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

go for it
Old 05-20-2014, 03:45 PM
blackland
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Range Rover is usually ranked near the bottom in reliability. Has that improved at all? They do look good though...
Old 05-20-2014, 04:02 PM
JoWilson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're still not very reliable and do not hold value well. I have the same V8 in my D110 and have owned a Range Rover.

It is a nice truck though.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:47 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Current gen RRS has gotten a lot of praise.. if you are leasing then reliability is a NON issue. I don't see how you can go wrong.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:38 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If the warranty provides a similar loaner and the LR dealer (just in case) is close by, no problem. I live 110 miles from both the closest LR and Porsche dealers, so that scratched the RRS for me.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 AM
duh
Intermediate

Rover quality has been increasing year after year. The newer models issues tend to fall in 2 categories-assembly issues, and electrical quirks. The assembly issues usually get taken care of in the first year of warranty, then the electrical quirks come and go. Everything from poorly sealed connectors corroding to software bugs in the modules . I havent seen a new design sport higher than 30k miles yet, so the future of premature wear items is yet unonown.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:33 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Our realtor went from a Turbo Cayenne to a RRS.

His comments show him to be happy with it.

I have spent some time in and out of it over the last few months. (Bought a new property.)
If you like being engaged as a driver, the Cayenne is much better.
If you are looking for image and style I feel the RRS may be better.

Things I don't like about the RRS -
Step up is much higher - the AS on our Cayenne is mostly in low or load height when we park.
The gear selector drives me crazy. Maybe if I had it as a daily driver, I would get used to it.

I do like the look of the RRS - has a presence and doesn't look like every other SUV out there.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still dont understand why all the RR's of the last decade continue with the tradition of cheesy lighting. The headlights look goofy to me and the rears as usual look like ebay lights. Thats my one complaint style-wise... the lights are gaudy. The front led daytime running lights look terrible to me.. jeep's GC implements it much better.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:06 PM
JoWilson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by duh
Rover quality has been increasing year after year. The newer models issues tend to fall in 2 categories-assembly issues, and electrical quirks. The assembly issues usually get taken care of in the first year of warranty, then the electrical quirks come and go. Everything from poorly sealed connectors corroding to software bugs in the modules .
That's always been the issue with LR... Still thanks to Lucas electrical, isn't it?
I've had so many electrical issues with Landies in the past. Things that shouldn't be an issue. Things that are absolutely mind boggling/ improbable.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:29 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RESP
Our realtor went from a Turbo Cayenne to a RRS.

His comments show him to be happy with it.

I have spent some time in and out of it over the last few months. (Bought a new property.)
If you like being engaged as a driver, the Cayenne is much better.
If you are looking for image and style I feel the RRS may be better.

Things I don't like about the RRS -
Step up is much higher - the AS on our Cayenne is mostly in low or load height when we park.
The gear selector drives me crazy. Maybe if I had it as a daily driver, I would get used to it.

I do like the look of the RRS - has a presence and doesn't look like every other SUV out there.

Good luck!
Very helpful thanks. There actually is a setting on the RRS to go up and down in seconds - I played with it and liked it. I had issues with the gear selector. That trigger button is a pain but I'm sure that I'll get used to it for the 2 days a week that I may be in it (I have a 991 and Spyder for the week) since it's my wife's car. In terms of driving, the V8 is incredibly engaging with the Dynamic package... I decided to buy the 2011 Cayenne from the lease, keep it until year end and ordered a 2015 RRS for delivery in December... I can change my mind until August... doubt that I will but you never know... Thanks to all!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 AM
duh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JoWilson
That's always been the issue with LR... Still thanks to Lucas electrical, isn't it? I've had so many electrical issues with Landies in the past. Things that shouldn't be an issue. Things that are absolutely mind boggling/ improbable.
Like the engine stalling every time you turn on the left turn signal
That one was fun....
Old 05-23-2014, 08:54 AM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had 2 RR's and vowed never to buy another LR product. My 91' Wrangler with 150k miles that is worth about 1/30th of my last LR is infinitely more reliable than it was.
Yes, the newer LR's are more reliable than the older ones... but that's like saying a 300 lb Rosanne Barr is thin compared to the 350 lb Rosanne Barr. Yeah... better but still a fat slob.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:01 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

In the old days we used to joke that Lucas was the Prince of Darkness LOLs! Lucas was that bad!
The other thing I should mention is the RRS looks like the Ford Edge, IMO. It's too ugly for my taste. Plus the fact that I'm a lifelong Porsche fan and 30+ years member of the PCA. It's gotta be a Porsche for me.

Last edited by PCA1983; 05-23-2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: afterthought...
Old 05-23-2014, 09:15 AM
JoWilson
Intermediate

Copied from another website

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Lucas engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made the refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone. Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

How to make AIDS disappear? Give it a Lucas parts number.

Recently, Lucas won out over Bosch to supply the electrical for the new Volkswagens. So, now the cars from the Black Forest will come with electrics supplied by the Lord of Darkness -- how appropriate!

Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.

Quick Reply: Anyone moving to a Range Rover Sport (RRS)?