Sponsored by:

"Four wheel drive system faulty" warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It's too bad there's no way to test the servo motor.

If you have not changed your battery yet on your '04 CS, then start there.

For our '04 CS, the battery replacement didn't fix it. I bought a used servo and controller from an '06 and voilà, problem solved.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default It Gets Sticky...

Mostly due to NOT going into AWD-low. If the message does not appear at startup, I immediately engage low range and cycle thru all 6 4WD-low speeds forward and reverse. Do this weekly and the message will never appear.

Last edited by Dilberto; 01-19-2016 at 01:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dilberto:
ekstroemtj (10-22-2022), frederickcook87 (07-23-2023)
Old 01-18-2016, 04:51 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If the warning is intermittant, its almost certainly a bad or chronically low battery. There isn't much voltage margin in the small battery before the ECU goes funny. Charge it and see if the warning disappears. Get the battery checked for capacity. If you drive under miles 150 mi/wk.(+/-), you may need to invest in a battery tender to keep it charged fully.

Last edited by DWPC; 01-18-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:28 AM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ran into this intermittently.
I followed Dilberto's advice and have not seen it again.
Not scientific but I hope it helps someone else.
Thanks Dilberto!
Old 07-13-2019, 12:25 AM
imran Khan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking servo motor is easy.

Originally Posted by Travis
It's too bad there's no way to test the servo motor.

If you have not changed your battery yet on your '04 CS, then start there.

For our '04 CS, the battery replacement didn't fix it. I bought a used servo and controller from an '06 and voilà, problem solved.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:00 AM
stecz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My Cayenne has never shown the 4wd faulty message before, but I was on a long road trip this week and it came up several times.

First time was about 800 miles into driving for the day, the car had been driven straight through with only a couple of short stops (less than 15 minutes each stop), after the light came on, we stopped, initially, no fault but after a short time, it came back on.
Driving around Florida for the week, the fault never came up. On the way home, about 800 miles or so in, the fault showed back up.

Any thoughts on that scenario? I didn't dare activate low range to test while we were away from home, so I guess I should try try that now.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:58 AM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stecz
My Cayenne has never shown the 4wd faulty message before, but I was on a long road trip this week and it came up several times.

First time was about 800 miles into driving for the day, the car had been driven straight through with only a couple of short stops (less than 15 minutes each stop), after the light came on, we stopped, initially, no fault but after a short time, it came back on.
Driving around Florida for the week, the fault never came up. On the way home, about 800 miles or so in, the fault showed back up.

Any thoughts on that scenario? I didn't dare activate low range to test while we were away from home, so I guess I should try try that now.
did you get this repaired? Mine is doing same thing now.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:18 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by DonE
did you get this repaired? Mine is doing same thing now.
How is your battery? Surprisingly, a weak battery will trigger this error. As the battery starts to fatigue and approach end of life, the dip in amperage during peak load like starting will trigger the error.
The following users liked this post:
STL-996-955TT (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 02:20 PM
hopsis
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

2nd vote for battery. My car randomly gave the 4wd error, not necessarily on startup but after a while. Never once done it after I replaced the battery. Second thing everyone should do is to use the low range once in a while. Just toggle in on and off every now and then, not even necessary to engage gear or drive anywhere.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:03 PM
aka2465
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

My 08 Cayenne clucked and jerked during deceleration, kind of like when you let a clutch out to fast, later the 4wd warning came on. I checked for fault codes and got 2039. As a result I replaced the stepper motor with a new one from ebay.
The installation is very easy and as mentioned before getting the electrical plugs off took the longest. They have little hooks on one side and it helps if you know where they are. Here are some pictures to help the next person. On the top plug you'll see how I stuck a screw driver into the plug connector to get it to un-clip. I also included a picture of how I hooked up the stepper motor to the car battery, so I could rotate the gear to the same position as the stepper motor that I removed.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:33 PM
UnicornBill$
1st Gear

Default Manual vs Automatic Transfer Case Servo

Is the part number the same or different for automatic and manual vehicles?
I have a 2013 Manual Cayenne, it is a base model.
I attempted to charge the battery first per the comments in this thread and sadly that did not work.
So, if this is an easier project I'd like to order the part and give it a go.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:07 PM
CayenneOne
Track Day

Location: Some place on Earth they call Florida close to an area where hurricanes play with houses on wheels.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Potentiometer fault

Hey, just splurged on the icarsoft POR II V 2.0 and it tells me Potentiometer fault and random misfires but focusing on cyl 6. Ordering new plugs and coil packs to just take care of it all there, but is the Potentiometer a seperate part or is it integrated into the servo motor? I currently drive with PSM off manually so my 4wd fault doesn't kick in and it doesn't shudder when at cruising speed. Probably will just have transmission fluids and filter changed as well. Sadly all that stuff is still cheaper than working on my 2013 Elantra GT lol. Porsche is not too expensive if you can turn a 🔧 it's just those greedy shops charging an arm and a leg to keep the logos on their shirts pretty. 162K miles and still passing chevy while pulling a boat. 😁

Last edited by CayenneOne; 02-22-2022 at 08:10 PM. Reason: "Ah made a spellun misstaik!"
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (07-23-2023)
Old 10-21-2022, 05:53 PM
august_mck
Track Day

Talking Reverse Attempt Worked

OMG - I think the Driving in Reverse FAST and throw it into Neutral .... let it slow down and then Stop and shut off// wait then Start Again and my Rocker Lit Up and was working again
I original believe i had my Rocker Pushed up with my Laptop while sitting in car on side of road writing an Email- I thought I burned it out having it pressed forward not realizing it -

Anyway I don't think i will be engaging the locking Diff - unless in an emergency for awhile there i couldn't get it out of the Reduce Locked position -

But Error code is now gone (might be time for a 2012 Cayenne S)

2008 cayenne S

Originally Posted by Dilberto
The immediate way to "unstick" the stepper motor, is to go fast into reverse anf quickly shift into neutral.....not drive! Stop car, shift into Park and shut off vehicle. Restart and you'll see the 4WD faulty warning disappear. Otherwise, you need a new battery.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:21 PM
smi2710
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this error pop up when i first start my newly acquired 05 cayenne S. If i shut it off and restart it will go away but sometimes takes a few restarts. I never thought battery cause it has no hesitation starting at all.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:30 PM
ABDJ
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Change your transfer case servo.
Hi im a new user can you please send a picture of whatever part you are talking about since i dont know what that is in my language

Quick Reply: "Four wheel drive system faulty" warning