Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY install - updated wiper arms for 955 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Finally fixed the non-op passenger arm. It was missing the ultra-rare, plastic shaft hardware and washer. Even the Porsche $tealer and Pelican does not carry these. Salvage yards refuse to even include them unless you buy the entire motor/transmission assemblies whole.

Home Depot had everything needed:
~ Rubber cone grommet 10mm(2x)
~ 1" flat washer, with 20mm opening(2x)

Last edited by Dilberto; 12-06-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:37 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

My car MY 91 born Nov 90 C2 USA car no rear wiper
Old 06-10-2017, 11:28 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Wide body, Thank you.
I just did my 06 ****
HUGE improvement!
Old 06-11-2017, 01:54 AM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know why you had to deal with the hood strut ?
I found it easy to do without messing with the hood.
Great mod, changed my life last winter.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I did not mess with the hood strut either!
Old 07-23-2017, 12:47 PM
rnorth
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spinning spindle

The nut on the far right (passenger's ) side, one of two holding the right sided wiper arm, will not unscrew from the stud or spindle which it engages; the spindle just spins along with the nut. Were there a way to get a grip on the spindle, I think I could unscrew the nut, but the only exposed portion is its very tip. Needle nose vise grip pliers inserted beneath the arm, so as to grasp the sides of the spindle, seem only to grasp a tube within which the spindle spins (as it is designed to do; this is not the driven arm).

I suppose I could drill a hole in the end of the spindle for a screw extractor; this would not turn it in the preferred direction, but it would allow me to tighten the nut, which might break it free and get me started. Perhaps I could go below decks and remove the entire wiper arm assembly, but the first step is to remove the wiper arms so as to remove the cowl, and so this would mean destroying the cowling.

Improving wiper blade contact with the windshield should be easier than this. Help!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:46 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I did not have that issue at all when I updated to the new wiper arm. Try using an electric impact driver to see if you can get it off that way first.

Also, add me to the list of people who did not mess with the hood/struts at all when doing this job. It was a night and day difference on wiper blade action. I went from never being able to get the passenger wiper to work properly to instantly perfect wiping. It is absurd that a wiper arm replacement for an originally bad design costs $150... Porsche should be ashamed of that one.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:56 AM
rnorth
7th Gear

Thanks for the impact driver suggestion - well worth a try, but it failed to budge the nut in either direction. Tentative plan at this point is to cut a slot with a Dremel tool; this worked very well on a test bolt. Unlike a hole for a screw extractor, this will allow me to apply torque in either direction. Cutting the slot will of course cut the nut, too, but this should allow more access for penetrating oil. If it still won't budge, I can extend the slot and try a nut splitter.

Does anyone have a better suggestion? I'm puzzled that this design by Porsche, for the foreseeable need to replace a wiper arm, is not more user friendly.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:50 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I think the slot is the way to go. I have used this technique many times in the past on everything from small bolts for a bicycle disc brake to some larger things the size of this hardware. Just make sure you get it deep and have a strong screwdriver bit.

Only other option I know besides just cutting everything off and replacing more things than you want to would be using some strong automotive hot glue on the back side and around the spindle to try to get it to stay in place when using an impact driver on the nut. They really aren't torqued down that tight and just that little bit of extra resistance could put you in business.

The hot glue will completely and very easily release in one piece from the parts when you spray some alcohol on it in case you did not know this and think it might make a mess.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:32 AM
JMJJAKOB
2nd Gear

Hi I just bought my first cayenne s 2004.
I have trouble with my wiper arms on right sight
I need some parts special splined bushing parts underneath the arm.
Is there some place there i can buy this plastic parts.

Best regards Jakob.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Welcome Jakob,

I think to answer that a photo of the part needed would be helpful. If obscure parts like that are available - it's most often available from Porsche (or perhaps VW is the system was shared between VW and Porsche.)
Old 10-26-2018, 01:22 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I don't think anyone has been able to find one available separately for sale. I think you will need to buy the whole $150 passenger arm to get it. If you are able to find it, please let us know.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:20 AM
JMJJAKOB
2nd Gear

Thanks guys.
I will let you know if i find something.

Best regards Jakob M Jonhardsson
Old 12-28-2019, 06:49 AM
Stuart.k
1st Gear

Default Cayenne 955 original wipers can be fixed

Hi everyone just joined rennlist forum as ive been reading all about the dredded wiper arm problem Cayenne 955 turbo 2005.... mine has been a problem for about 4 years with the passenger arm missing the whole middle of the screen, it started when i first bought it. Just at the bottom about 2-3 inches st first but got gradually worse i replaced the whole motor a couple of years ago as it had a bit of play in the spindles thought that was the problem still no different, numerous wiper blades also bendig them to try and get the middle to sit on the screen ....but still no good. I have read about and seen the replacement ones for over £100 + even the touareg ones off the 2010 model which i ordered (used off ebay) but they were for a left hand drive (didn'tread the description properly ).wasted £45 anyway i found a updated arm on ebay for £35 so bought it when it arrived they had sent an old one so i complaind and was told to bin it and got a refund ..... i then had a idea looking over the arm and found the problem these things have is the two short arms get worn very slightly and have a very small amount of play in them so i decided to see what i could do. i stripped the big plastic cover off and this exposed two plastic caps and also if you flip it over there are two more (its where the two little arms are attached to the main arm) bloody riveted one was a little rusty so i soaked it in oil for about 10 mins to make sure it was going to stay free i removed the tow bar cover took an hammer and turned the arm over placed it over the towbar ball and gave both rivets a couple of smacks (ballpien hammer) to knock the rivet down and tighten it ...no more play still moves free.... so i put all the plastic caps back on clipped the big plastic cover on and refitted it to the car WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! puuuurfect it sat on the bottom of the window without the gap jumped in ignition on crossed my fingers squirted the washers and the wiper took every bit of water off from the bottom to the top and the complete sweep in one no judders squeal ...£6.99 for a wiper arm tool and a ballpien hammer is whats needed took me 5 mins to remove 10 mins soak in oil 5 seconds to hit the rivets to tighten them up and 5 mins to refit hope this helps such a bloody simple fix cant beleive no one as ever done this before

Stuart. K
Old 01-11-2020, 06:51 PM
beran earms
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Does anyone have any updated info on this mess? Any new ideas or product info, parts numbers, etc. I had done some repair work and needed to remove the plastic cowl and everything came apart no problem but now what was once a perfectly working system, no longer is. It's the pass. side, stud rotates fine but it is slipping in cone shaped receiver. I noticed the knurled cone was just bottoming out and the knurling was quite smooth. I filed some off the bottom so it would not hit the shoulder of the stud and I carefully filed in very fine grooves to hopefully get me through but it did not work. Any leads on part numbers would be a huge help!
Thank in advance, JD

Quick Reply: DIY install - updated wiper arms for 955 Cayenne