Sponsored by:

Dealer could not program key fob I bought on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:10 PM
SpooledCTT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer could not program key fob I bought on ebay

I bought an oem key fob on ebay from a guy who sells these things all day, guaranteeing them to work if programmed by a dealer or a reputable indy. I paid $110 for it and it came with a blank key blade on it. I brought the fob to my Porsche dealership this morning and after trying for 2 hours, they couldn't program it. They still wanted to charge me 1 hour of labor. After talking to the manager, I re-negotiated the labor cost for a new transponder/fob with the blade cut-by-vin from Porsche for $313. I sent the other key fob back to the ebay guy for a full refund ($110). Even if Porsche could program it, I'd still need someone to cut the blade. Porsche, Audi and VW here in south Florida want nothing to do with cutting those blades. Anyone run into these problems?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 PM
mrtoro
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes cutting blades and programming transponders are a bit of a pain. Transponders have a long code that must accompany the key fob when you purchase. Without that code the fobs are useless. I made the same mistake in the past.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche of Orlando in Maitland cut me a new key and programed a new fob several years ago. It was new fob from them and the price was just about the same.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:04 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When you are hooked up to PIWIS you can put a new key into the set under very narrow parameters including part number an model. also if its been used on another vehicle is apparently impossible to reprogram

all keys must be set during the session
Old 03-05-2014, 09:15 PM
SpooledCTT
Rennlist Member

I had both keys with me and gave Porsche both transmitters. Are you saying they could have reprogrammed them both together with a different frequency and started 'new', thereby making them both operable on the same but different frequencies? in a foot note, the ebay guy said that for Porsche to charge me $160 to program was the highest price he's heard of in the 10 years since he's been selling the transmitters. With my high level of distrust and reluctance in dealers service, I want to side with the ebay guy and presume the guys at Porsche didn't do exactly what they needed to do to get it done.

Last edited by SpooledCTT; 03-05-2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:37 PM
drewcwsj
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the Entry and Drive keys different? My CTT only came with one key and I want to buy a second.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by drewcwsj
Are the Entry and Drive keys different? My CTT only came with one key and I want to buy a second.
Shouldn't make a difference. The key fob is the same....keyless entry & drive or not.
You must have bought used. New and CPO come with 2 key fobs.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 PM
SpooledCTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Shouldn't make a difference. The key fob is the same....keyless entry & drive or not.
You must have bought used. New and CPO come with 2 key fobs.
I actually have the Porsche entry and drive and figured if I can just get the second transmitter programmed, I could take my time time finding someone to cut the blade cause I'd still be able to start the car if the my original key was lost or misplaced. I leave the 'dummy key' in the ignition at all times so I thought w/ an additional fob, I'd be ok. Moral of the story/thread...just get the whole kit and caboodle via the dealer, and your good to go, instead of trying to save a few bucks buying on ebay or elsewhere.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

not at all, that does not work, the need them to match them

they could not program my ebay special either

luck of the drawer
Old 03-06-2014, 01:47 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
not at all, that does not work, the need them to match them

they could not program my ebay special either

luck of the drawer
I had an ordinary lock shop carve the key blade for $10. You must have ALL available keys, for full programming. Luckily, I still had one original key and my ebay key transponder took the coding.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:24 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was unable to program some e-bay keys as well when I worked at the dealer. PIWIS acted like the e-bay fobs had already been programmed to a vehicle, and once they have been programmed, they can not be reprogrammed to a different vehicle.

Quick Reply: Dealer could not program key fob I bought on ebay