Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne S - should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 PM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi and welcome to Cayenne forum!!!

I have had two 2004 Cayenne S SUVs at the same time, now I have just one as I sold the other one last year I think around 130k. I feel that most of the issues surface up around 70-90k miles range. In your case, since most of the major bugs have been taken cared there is a less risk with this particular car, however there will always be some thing or the other.
A well cared, privately owned car with records (all main issues repaired) even with high millage can still be a good car. I have had all kinds of issues with my Cayennes: intermittent electrical issues/A/C, coolant pipes, torque converter seal leaking, my latest post is about a camshaft issue which is pretty serious. My high mileage Cayenne (sold) ended up being really good one compared to the current one I kept which is beginning to give me lot of issues. Few of these also can have Engine scoring that can lead to engine replacement.
So My friend, these cars can be a real bargain if you get a good one, luck has lot to do with it. If I have the option I would buy a 2008 range one and skip 2003-2006 range altogether. 15k price seems reasonable however there are once even for 10k with more miles. There are tons of these in the market, please look at several before you buy, I prefer private sellers for this particular year model. Even with all the issues I had, I still think it has been a real bargain given how cheap these cars are. You are getting a serious performer for the fraction of the initial price.
Only thing is that you need to have realistic expectation that you might have to spend $5-8 in a worst case scenario, and if you are lucky you will get 150k mile with no issues. I once went to see a beaten up 2004 Cayenne with 172 miles at the Tyson’s Porsche years ago, it was used to haul Horse equipment interstate 

About PPI, some shops in my area (Fairfax) take about 2 hours to do more comprehensive inspections that will cost around $250-400. Normal one hour PPI is around $150.
Good luck, feel free PM me to if you need to talk over the phone, I can share my experience with 2004 Cayenne S.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:37 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks guys - this is all great advice. I have found a couple more and am taking my time as you guys have suggested. One interesting in Houston: http://www.euro2motors.com/2005-Pors...-77388/4880309

One-owner, I've verified all the work was done at Momentum Porsche in Houston - it was traded-in there as well, then sold at auction due to high miles. Problem is that it is in Houston, getting it inspected is tough - the dealer doesn't want to drive it across town to have a good mechanic look at it, is fine with a mobile service coming to take a look.

Interesting on the 70-90k range - that is what I honed-in on. Preferably a car that can prove it has been past the 80K mile checkup....

Will keep you all posted!

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne S - should I buy it?