Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty - CNA

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Extended Warranty - CNA

My 2010 cayenne factory warranty is expiring soon and I got quote for extended warranty from a Porsche dealer. Warranty company is CNA. Below are the quotes.. How does this look? Is it worth spending for extended warranty? I saw lot of posts about not buying it..

Also any one dealt with CNA warranty? Dealer says they are one of the best.

My Cayenne has currently 22K miles and approximately driven 8k/year.

Dealer Quote:
3yr/60K miles - $2000.00
4Yr/60K mikes - $2150.00
5Yr/60K miles - $2250.00
4Yr/72K miles - $2850.00
5Yr/80K miles - $3200.00
8Yr/100K miles - $5950.00

This is with $200 deductible.

I'm leaning towards 3rd option 5yr/60K .. Like to hear your opinion..

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:12 PM
HOiYA
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read some owners have had their Cayennes CPO'd by the dealer, as to extend the warranty to 100k, for around $3500. Is that true or did I misunderstand that? Wouldn't that be a better deal?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM
drewcwsj
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd take CPO any day over aftermarket even if only for two years. But adding 5 yrs and 60k miles for only $2200 seems like a great deal. The thing you need to watch out is that unlike CPO these aftermarket warranties are exclusionary - they exclude many many systems, things like entertainment (PCM/BOSE) and cooling systems won't be covered. Half of your repairs may not be covered at all. Read the exclusions.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

I prefer CPO too. But I already own the cayenne and dealer will not CPO unless they are selling it as used. what are the other options? I think $2250 is a good insurance for 5 years for a Porsche.

I'm researching about warranty provider company CNA..

Thanks,
Old 03-03-2014, 08:21 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know about CNA, but what Drew says is true and the reason I won't touch a non-mfg warranty again. Further to what Drew said, they will also try to claim items are excluded when they are not (like claiming a fuel rail is part of the carb and when that didn't fly that it was part of the emission system...). If you have a good dealer that will fight with them on that stuff it's not as bad, but if you have a crappy dealer...

As far as being "one of the best", I just got an unsolicited extended warranty offer from my dealer and they also claim the company they are selling for is one of the best. The reality is that they get their own cut so they'll say anything to make the sale.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Pors968
My 2010 cayenne factory warranty is expiring soon and I got quote for extended warranty from a Porsche dealer.
My Cayenne has currently 22K miles and approximately driven 8k/year.
All warranties are priced so that the insurance company makes money so you'll be paying more than your prorated share of expenses. Has your pepper been reliable for 22k miles? If so, no way I'd pay for a warranty that is unlikely to be used. Mine was at 28k miles at the 4 yr mark and I didn't even consider a policy. Waste of money IMO.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dasams
All warranties are priced so that the insurance company makes money so you'll be paying more than your prorated share of expenses. Has your pepper been reliable for 22k miles? If so, no way I'd pay for a warranty that is unlikely to be used. Mine was at 28k miles at the 4 yr mark and I didn't even consider a policy. Waste of money IMO.
I had A/C issues before and it was fixed by factory warranty.. But here is my thought .. 5yr insurance gives me peace of mind. If some thing big happens, it is covered .
Old 03-04-2014, 04:13 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not all quite true, its accurate that some warranty companies are a pain and try to get out of their responsibilities but I brought my car 2 months ago, I paid 1500 (I made the dealer remove all of their profit) for a warranty that has Toyota on the front, I cant remember who its underwritten by. I just put over $6k on the warranty in various repairs, no hassle from the warranty company and no cost to me!

The dealer will get a large payout from selling a warranty so don't trust them at all, google the company and see what comes up, keep in mind that most people only review when things go wrong but its pretty easy to tell if the company is good, if you can find no complaints on google you've probably got a good one.

To underline all of this, I was a car salesman for 6 years so I know how it works from both sides

As for the price, those are the cheapest I have ever seen for a luxury car, read into that what you will.

Good luck

Kim
Old 03-04-2014, 09:26 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd speak with another dealer about a CPO. Some dealers are willing to "buy" the vehicle, certify it, and "sell" it back to you for a $3k-$4k fee.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:24 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said. I had a Bay Area dealer ready to do exactly that, to the point that we were negotiating the "sale" price. In CA I would have to pay sales tax again, so I eventually balked.

But several years later, I came out ahead.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty - CNA